autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best upgrade from a PC?

I have a PC 7424XP that has served me well over the last 6 or so years but I'm looking to upgrade to something new. I'm wanting something that has plenty of power to push a 6" pad and preferably reduce the amount of time needed polishing. I'm not trying to cut corners, but I can't imagine polishing my new GMC Sierra with my PC using 5" pads in this Texas heat. So far, I've been looking at the Flex 3401, Rupes and the Boss G21. Can anyone share some input or have any experience upgrading from the PC?
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best upgrade from a PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase.Barnett View Post
    I have a PC 7424XP that has served me well over the last 6 or so years but I'm looking to upgrade to something new. I'm wanting something that has plenty of power to push a 6" pad and preferably reduce the amount of time needed polishing. I'm not trying to cut corners, but I can't imagine polishing my new GMC Sierra with my PC using 5" pads in this Texas heat. So far, I've been looking at the Flex 3401, Rupes and the Boss G21. Can anyone share some input or have any experience upgrading from the PC?
    Either of the 3 is a huge upgrade, let's not forget the new Makita too. You can't go wrong with any of these. I got the Flex 3401 FOR ME. I felt it was the best DA FOR ME. I now use my PC7424XP as a LSP applicator or mini DA with a 1" - 4" Backing Plate.

You will get a lot of opinions of which is better and why. I say do your research and get what YOU FEEL is best. I do know for sure you will still be using your PC for various detailing duties.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

The 7424 will be getting a 3" backing plate and used with smaller pads in places where the 6" pads can't be used. I've been eye-balling that Flex for a few years, what are your thoughts specifically on that machine?
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chase.Barnett View Post
    The 7424 will be getting a 3" backing plate and used with smaller pads in places where the 6" pads can't be used. I've been eye-balling that Flex for a few years, what are your thoughts specifically on that machine?
    IMO, it was the best thing I ever did for detailing. You will reduce your compounding/polishing time down to around 1/2 the time. On curved panels (aka Porsche 911 or Boxter); it will just keep on trucking and that is because of the FORCED Rotation. The drawbacks are walking and pulling, however, once you master the technique, there is really nothing you can't do in terms of detailing. I can now compound and polish the A pillars with no issues. This machine is a beast! It is louder than the PC (henceforth earplugs for this old man). But this thing just keeps on going. Additionally, if you have some mechanical skills, this thing is real easy to repair too. My trigger switch died on me and I just ordered the part a replaced it. My guess is because I dropped the Flex on more than one occasion. I was being stupid and kind of rough on the DA.

You can use a 6 - 6.5 Pads with ease. Bottom line, I have nothing but a great experience with the Flex 3401. Again, that is me. The other DA's you mention are also a great choice. The new Makita is also something I would look into as you can switch from Forced rotation to free float like the PC.

But again, you can't go wrong with any DA's. I was in your situation a few years back (no Boss or Makita at the time) and went with the Flex for the reason of Forced rotation. I am very glad that I did. Til this day, I feel that my DA tools are complete.

I hope my experience with the Flex helps your decision one way or another.

GOOD HUNTING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

As noted, Flex 3401 and be done.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Flex 3401 for me too! And with 6 years use of a PC you'll find yourself pretty comfortable with the Flex quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently bumped up from a PC to a Flex 3401 night and day difference. I'm just a hobbiest so it doesn't get used all the time

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3401 in my sights specifically because it can spin the large pads.

I have a rotary, but I don't always want to follow it with the PC. A 3401 can get in there and effectively knock out a beautiful one step with ease. These commercial vehicles I've been doing are no joke...

I never should have sold mine. I had no Idea I'd be doing these huge commercial trucks...

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401.
    Throw any pad on it and it keeps spinning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast