autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning/protecting chrome wheels with painted sections.

I've stayed away from chrome wheels for a long time as I remember them being a pain to keep looking right.

I succumbed to temptation the other day and picked up some Magnum 500s for the old Mustang. Tires are mounted, I'll probably put them on next week. But, thought it would be far easier to wax them now before they're on the car and try and get ahead of the game. This led me down the rabbit hole of product selection.

There is lots of info out there on caring for chrome wheels. Most examples seem to be focused on one piece wheels that are entirely chromed. The Magnum 500s are a two piece wheel with a seam that will be difficult to keep clean/protected. They also have the black painted sections to accentuate the chrome.

I guess the way to do it is to periodically clean the painted sections like a single stage paint. Clean the chrome like chrome. Then find a gentle wax that I can use on the entire wheel. Maybe hit them with a spray detailer when the cars washed.

Anyone have a simpler, less time consuming, solution or product suggestions? I know me, too complicated and it wont get done.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning/protecting chrome wheels with painted sections.

Welcome to Autogeek Grumpy!

Getting them protected and keeping after them is the key.

Then I would just keep it simple and use a cleaner that would be safe for the painted areas on the whole wheel often.

Basically the weakest cleaner you can get away with like just using your typical car wash soap, or rinseless/waterless wash. If that's not easily taking care of it then step up to a diluted all purpose cleaner.

Maybe every once in a while clean them thoroughly with one of the color changing wheel cleaners.

Yes, keeping them "waxed" will make cleaning easier. A sealant may protect a little better, and a wheel coating would be the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning/protecting chrome wheels with painted sections.

I would coat them, makes wheel care much easier. If you don't want to coat, I would use a sealant which would hold up better than most waxes.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Autogeekonline mobile app