autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting Clean Windows?

Ok so this weekend I did the complete pinnacle crystal clear window treatment. Which comes with a glass cleaner to be used on it specifically Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent.

Ok so when went through all the recomended steps right before I actually did the treatment. I got inside the vehicle to check and the windows were streaky, I am assuming form the Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner as this was the last thing I used. So I went inside and got trusty old windex and newspaper which is a trick for cleaning glass I learned of decades ago and got the windows sparkling clean inside and out. Then I applied Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent. Later after all done windows were still nice and crystal clear.

Fast forward couple days, washing and sealing paint and everything I decided to clean the windows again just as a final touch. So I got Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent and cleaned them using a window Microfiber towel that came with the kit. It was dusk when I was doing this so the windows looked clear, but all I did was spray on and wipe them off. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Then driving to work this morning I about screamed.

Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent just leaves horrible streaks and a film, no its not on the inside, the truck was in the garage overnight. When not in direct sunlight the windows look clean but it one of those when going into direct sunlight it looks streaky. This is the same thing I seen when decided to just go get windex. Am I doing something wrong here? What all do you guys use to clean your windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting Clean Windows?

Technique is important... I like to use 2 different towels (or a towel with 2 different sides as shown in the video). The first is a medium nap for actually cleaning the glass, the second is a low/no nap glass towel for producing a perfect finish.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I was having similar problems with the gyeon Q2 view which would just not yield and give me the desired clarity. Swirls and smudges everywhere. After some stoners and time buffing gently, it went away but I was afraid of ruining the expensive product i just took the time to place down.( so far doesn't seem ruined)
    I think using the no nap glass towel would have been better for the initial wipe off of the product or at least follow up buff. Plus my towels linted a little in the grabby texture the product has a first wipe off. If you want to see me frustrated and angry that is the way to do it.
    I have since gone to that style of one to clean and no nap to "buff" to nice clarity. So far so good, interior still gives me trouble. Especially the rear window because of the angle and difficulty getting to the bottom of the glass.

Side note: not too keen on the way the water repels with the gyeon. They say you don't need wipers but I don't know if it is because of the angle of my window or what but I definitely need to use them. Heck, I feel it worsened my vision in the rain because it gets tons and tons of very small droplets. But reasonable wiper speed and it isn't a problem of course that would be the case anyway.

Good luck. Glass is the devil.

Post Thanks / Like

If I clean a windshield more than once and it still looks dirty, I'm breaking out the ceriglass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    I'm breaking out the ceriglass.
    I support the heck out of this stuff. My one buddy has a tC with the full glass roof. We did his car 50/50 and the difference from the inside and outside is clear.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I use stoners with a WW drying towel. Then buff with a low-pile MF towel. No streaks, ever.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I firmly believe that it is all technique and the towel you use. Also, how the glass is prepped.

When my truck was brand new, just about any glass cleaner and a MF towel made my glass crystal clear.

After a couple of seasons, it got to be more of a chore. (A second application, chasing streaks here & there). So I switched to a WW glass cleaning towel. Much better results, but still not a "breeze" like back when she was new.

This season, I polished my glass. Wow. What a difference. Now cleaning is SO much easier.

So, just like paint, decontaminating the surface goes a long way toward the end product.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned, you should definitely clay and polish the glass first to remove any contaminants and road film. I always use HD polish+ on glass since it's not oily. Even a polish as fine as HD Polish+ can clean up what not even the strongest glass cleaner will touch.

I use the pinnacle glass cleaner as well as the pinnacle glass sealant every day and have been for at least a year. Pinnacle glass cleaner is not made for cleaning glass IMO. What it truly excels at is leaving a streak free finish on glass that has already been polished and better yet already protected. It's the slickest glass cleaner I've ever used but other than leaving behind a sealant, it's no better than using wolfgang uber at waterless wash ratio.

The pinnacle glass SEALANT is a great durable product but should be used after claying, polishing, and using IPA to remove any residual oils. 1-2 TINY drops is all that is needed to do a windshield. You'll know that you used too much when after 10-15 minutes the product hasn't completely dried. It will leave some high spots but once the products has flash completely, these high spots are very easy to remove with a microfiber towel.

It took me several tries to get the hang of it, but once I did I absolutely love it. I use it on all of my customers windshields and maintain it with the pinnacle glass cleaner.

One other things, IMO specific glass cleaning towels are a waste of money. You'd be better off spraying some diluted IPA onto a Magic Eraser and using it to clean the glass.

The only towel I use on glass are chinese 16x16 Edgeless 245gsm. They are cheap, absorbent, and will not leave lint

Post Thanks / Like

Recently, I've been using CarPro Eraser to clean glass with great results and Reload as a topper.

Post Thanks / Like

N914 @ 64:1 is my favorite window cleaner at the moment. Clean first with Terry microfiber and then get any streeks with a waffle weave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast