autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on a business idea

So recently I've been thinking hard about taking my part time mobile detailing business to the next level. I wanted input from all you car cleaning gurus on if you would like a business like this in your area. I've discussed it with a lot of my customers and they like the idea. I want to open a car wash.. but not your ordinary scratch wash with the tunnels and brushes or a touchless wash. I want to open a car wash that has actual people, yes physical manual labor, cleaning the cars. You would pull in, one guy who prerinse the vehicle with a pressure washer, then I would have 2 more guys (if preferred rims and tires cleaned this is first) and then with buckets to wash the car with 2 buckets each using the best products giving a real car wash. Then the vehicle would be rinsed off by the next guy and then finally two more guys would dry the car and apply tire dressing. I have done this setup with a friend and from start to finish through each stage we were able to have the car done in 7 minutes. And that was rushing around grabbing each "sections" materials for the "work station". There would also be a few ppl off to the side to replace the buckets after each vehicle with new clean water bucket and soapy water buckets as well as taking the dirty mitts and rinsing them off. So basically the mitts and buckets see every other car. I like the idea because obviously automatic washes are a one size fits all deal.. they are machines they don't use their eyeballs to say "oh i forgot that spot". I've sat at a few washes in my area, which is low population of 40,000 between two cities and in febuary the 2 washes were getting about 30 cars an hour on like a Tuesday at 11am. Another couple washes in a higher populated area that same week.. with snow on the ground were getting about 60-70 cars an hour. And staffing just a few guys to run the thing. I want to be able to create jobs for a good group of people and no I wont be paying them minimum wage. They will be taught on how to properly wash and care for customers cars. On site would be a detailing center. Not the cheap $20 detail thing you see at a regular car wash. I just wanted to see what your opinions are. The location is on the North East coast. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on a business idea

Rtrick87...

To start off---You need to rewrite your post above. It was kind of difficult to read through.

Now---I may be wrong but touchless car washes are set up similar to what you're thinking. The only difference is that you know what is good and what is wrong re touching paint.

Hiring is not easy!!! You will not find good quality people just to wash cars!

And to feed your mind/ideas re creating systems---You should consider attending this: Trade Show

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

And to make things worst---government regs!!

It's mind boggling! It'll probably restrict you every step that you are considering in your post above! IE: water use, disposal of water, chemicals used, treatment of employees etc....

The regs manual will probably weigh in around 5 pounds!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rtrick87 View Post
    So recently I've been thinking hard about taking my part time mobile detailing business to the next level. I wanted input from all you car cleaning gurus on if you would like a business like this in your area. I've discussed it with a lot of my customers and they like the idea. I want to open a car wash.. but not your ordinary scratch wash with the tunnels and brushes or a touchless wash. I want to open a car wash that has actual people, yes physical manual labor, cleaning the cars. You would pull in, one guy who prerinse the vehicle with a pressure washer, then I would have 2 more guys (if preferred rims and tires cleaned this is first) and then with buckets to wash the car with 2 buckets each using the best products giving a real car wash. Then the vehicle would be rinsed off by the next guy and then finally two more guys would dry the car and apply tire dressing. I have done this setup with a friend and from start to finish through each stage we were able to have the car done in 7 minutes. And that was rushing around grabbing each "sections" materials for the "work station". There would also be a few ppl off to the side to replace the buckets after each vehicle with new clean water bucket and soapy water buckets as well as taking the dirty mitts and rinsing them off. So basically the mitts and buckets see every other car. I like the idea because obviously automatic washes are a one size fits all deal.. they are machines they don't use their eyeballs to say "oh i forgot that spot". I've sat at a few washes in my area, which is low population of 40,000 between two cities and in febuary the 2 washes were getting about 30 cars an hour on like a Tuesday at 11am. Another couple washes in a higher populated area that same week.. with snow on the ground were getting about 60-70 cars an hour. And staffing just a few guys to run the thing. I want to be able to create jobs for a good group of people and no I wont be paying them minimum wage. They will be taught on how to properly wash and care for customers cars. On site would be a detailing center. Not the cheap $20 detail thing you see at a regular car wash. I just wanted to see what your opinions are. The location is on the North East coast. Thanks!
    There is some of those in NY.Its called splash its a conveyed wash system with the machines.Looks and sounds really cool ,always seen a ad in the paper for paying 13hr for a washer.This place has about 15 people on the payroll and 4 locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Meant without the machines human wash only.

Post Thanks / Like

I too had issues reading your post.

The problem with the idea is that you have a lot of employees (or as you state, ppl), and your overhead and costs will probably much higher than just buying into a unmanned laser cars-carwash with at least three bays.

I think the quality of people you're going to get (one guy doing rims, another guy doing this, or that....) aren't going to say "I missed a spot"... nor will they probably be changing out mitts as you think they will be for $7.00 an hour. I think you're also going to have to ask yourself what level of quality are you looking for.

You are subject to people calling in sick, not showing up for work, or finding a better a better job for the same if not more pay that has better working conditions. Not to mention the liability you face when having unskilled-low pay employees working on vehicles.

With that many employees you'll have to research unemployment benefits, pay-roll, and more than likely liability insurance in case they brake something or claim they got hurt on the job. I would think that's a lot of overhead.

IMO, the type of customer you are going to get is going to be the same customer that goes through the $3.00 to $7.00 car wash. You may just investigate how to purchase into a 3 bay laser wash which is unmanned, i.e. something like this: Laserwash 360 - Touchless Car Wash Equipment

or

If you want to "take your part-time detailing business to the next level" you could become stationary first and see the type of overhead you'll incur. Your services and offerings would change, as likely your clientele. If it grows try hiring a few "ppl" on a contracting basis (1099) so that won't be subject to the same laws that apply to having employees.

I can only speak for myself, but when I lived back in the North East, during the winter months, I had no issues using a laser touchless. I would never take my vehicles through the model you propose.

Do your homework.. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a detailing pro but I am a business guy (among other things). Overall a sound idea, but as others have said you need to pencil it out. I would do a high-level business plan. This is really just an objective view of your goals, the plan to get there, what is required, the costs, and the risk. It moves it from being a great idea in your head to an objective plan on paper. If you can make it work on paper then you have a chance to make it work. If it doesn't work on paper, you need tweak it or start over.

Some things to consider - not an exhaustive list at all: Is there a model where you get workers to be more invested and do a better job? Could their pay be a sliding scale tied to customer satisfaction and/or profits? Do you have to pay minimum wage? Do you have to give benefits? Would these people be employees or could you make the independent contractors? Do you have insurance for any damage they cause? Can you get it? Assume people will have one issue or another up to 10% of the time (on average): sick, vacation, family issue, late, unreliable, etc. You need to be able to manage through that, or you'll have to pay enough to find people who don't have those issues.

My only washing concern (as non-pro) would be putting a pressure washer in the hands of somebody who doesn't have to deal with the consequences of damage. I used a low powered pressure washer on my wheels and immediately took the paint of one wheel. The paint was obviously failing already, but it looked fine before I pressure washed it. So imagine what the reaction would be if this happened to a customer. If you have to pay to get a wheel (or body panel) restored it's going to be a bad day financially.

I like the idea and the passion. Keep working it, and get it down on paper so you know with a high degree of certainty if it's possible.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my post was all over the place. I'm in the middle of writing s business plan with a friend who is a passionate weekend detailer who holds a degree in business management and also is a general manager for a small lumber company here in town. But the employees I would hire would be fully trained. I have another friend who runs a mobile detailing business so we would be partnering up and he would be taking care of the mobile side and would give me a couple of his guys to work on site at the on site detailing garage. We are at the early stages of things. But I should of been more clearer on the employees experience. All employees would be properly trained to wash cars correctly. So let me be more clear.

Would you be willing to take your car through a car wash staffed by trained able bodied people that clean the mitts after each car? And take pride in their work? The property would be leased through another friend of mine who owns a very successful gym and he's open to the idea of letting me use the front side of his parking lot which is next to a very busy 4 lane road 5 minutes from Americas first public beach, hotels, highway and state routes in the corner of 4 cities. And if it doesn't work out at anytime the 'lease' can be cancelled. We are in the early stages but I just wanted input on others thoughts who care for their cars themselves. And if it's successful I would get my own location and have touch less wash on site.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my post was all over the place. I'm in the middle of writing s business plan with a friend who is a passionate weekend detailer who holds a degree in business management and also is a general manager for a small lumber company here in town. But the employees I would hire would be fully trained. I have another friend who runs a mobile detailing business so we would be partnering up and he would be taking care of the mobile side and would give me a couple of his guys to work on site at the on site detailing garage. We are at the early stages of things. But I should of been more clearer on the employees experience. All employees would be properly trained to wash cars correctly. So let me be more clear.

Would you be willing to take your car through a car wash staffed by trained able bodied people that clean the mitts after each car? And take pride in their work? The property would be leased through another friend of mine who owns a very successful gym and he's open to the idea of letting me use the front side of his parking lot which is next to a very busy 4 lane road 5 minutes from Americas first public beach, hotels, highway and state routes in the corner of 4 cities. And if it doesn't work out at anytime the 'lease' can be cancelled. We are in the early stages but I just wanted input on others thoughts who care for their cars themselves. And if it's successful I would get my own location and have touch less wash on site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I'm not a detailing pro but I am a business guy (among other things). Overall a sound idea, but as others have said you need to pencil it out. I would do a high-level business plan. This is really just an objective view of your goals, the plan to get there, what is required, the costs, and the risk. It moves it from being a great idea in your head to an objective plan on paper. If you can make it work on paper then you have a chance to make it work. If it doesn't work on paper, you need tweak it or start over.

Some things to consider - not an exhaustive list at all: Is there a model where you get workers to be more invested and do a better job? Could their pay be a sliding scale tied to customer satisfaction and/or profits? Do you have to pay minimum wage? Do you have to give benefits? Would these people be employees or could you make the independent contractors? Do you have insurance for any damage they cause? Can you get it? Assume people will have one issue or another up to 10% of the time (on average): sick, vacation, family issue, late, unreliable, etc. You need to be able to manage through that, or you'll have to pay enough to find people who don't have those issues.

My only washing concern (as non-pro) would be putting a pressure washer in the hands of somebody who doesn't have to deal with the consequences of damage. I used a low powered pressure washer on my wheels and immediately took the paint of one wheel. The paint was obviously failing already, but it looked fine before I pressure washed it. So imagine what the reaction would be if this happened to a customer. If you have to pay to get a wheel (or body panel) restored it's going to be a bad day financially.

I like the idea and the passion. Keep working it, and get it down on paper so you know with a high degree of certainty if it's possible.
    I think its wiser to just visit a established idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast