autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to shorten my wash routine - help

Hey guys, I wash my car weekly and the routine goes like this.

Rinse car down
    Wash wheels
    Two bucket wash paint
    Rinse down and dry off with wet mf towel
    Mother's spray wax on paint.

Now I'm wondering if I can eliminate the last step and use a wash n wax shampoo. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trying to shorten my wash routine - help

you could do a rinseless wash and be done in like 4 less steps
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Coat the car, makes it so match faster to wash and dry. Plus your not rubbing spray wax over the car, which can pontential cause more unwanted marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Another option would be when you are drying off the car srpay your wax when you are drying. This way you still get the protection you want but save a step. I have done this would quick detailer and it works good.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoApollo View Post
    Hey guys, I wash my car weekly and the routine goes like this.

Rinse car down
    Wash wheels
    Two bucket wash paint
    Rinse down and dry off with wet mf towel
    Mother's spray wax on paint.

Now I'm wondering if I can eliminate the last step and use a wash n wax shampoo. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My druthers is NOT to have any wax or glossers in the soap bucket.

Use a high quality sealant and should be good for about 6 months before adding anything.
    Also make sure you use good microfiber towels to manage and keep scratches down.

Tom

Mike Phillips

The secret to washing a car fast is to start by doing a great initial detail job to get the car clean and sealed. Then future washing and drying is fast and easy.

This is an older write-up I did for a Mercedes we sold a few years ago BUT I continue to wash our current Mercedes in the 30 minute time frame.

Wash and dry a car in less than 30 minutes!

The key for me and speed is to use a ceramic coating on the paint, plastic and glass and also the wheels. If you can remove the wheels and clean and coat the backs this will also help.

Ceramic paint coatings make washing and drying faster because the dirt releases easy and water leaves the surface easy. It's really that simple. The same thing holds true for car waxes and synthetic sealants it's just car waxes and synthetic sealants don't last as long.

I have to wash the wife's MB as it's ready for a bath. Next time I do I'll time myself. I always start with wheels and tires first and I keep the barrel of the wheels behind the spokes just as clean as the face of the wheels. The ONLY reason cleaning this area of the car doesn't take me long is because I religiously clean this area each time I wash the car thus it's fast and easy. If I were to let this hard to reach area go for a few washes the road grim and the brake dust would start to build-up and solidify and then cleaning this area (behind the spokes), would be slow and hard.

So fast washing is in part only possible by frequent washing. Frequent washing wears off waxes and sealants. So coatings are a part of the mix for washing fast.

Make sense?

It also helps to have GREAT car washing tools to make you effective and reduce time and work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use ONR with Wax. Cuts down on water and time cause you're washing and drying panel by panel. Then just spay it down with Meg's x-press spay wax to give it a little more protection and a deep shine. I would also get a California duster and just wipe down once a day at the end of the day. helps keep it cleaner and less to wash off later.

Post Thanks / Like

Having my vehicle coated was the most significant thing I could do to cut down my wash and dry time. Dry time especially. With a blaster(or good leaf blower) a coating will allow you to get 95% of the water off your car before grabbing a towel.

I would avoid a wash & wax. The protection these leave behind, if any, is minuet at best, and they usually just break down and leave behind a coating of blah after a few days. The quality and quantity of wax in those types of products is too low and small to offer anything of value in my eyes. I would do some good surface prep, install a coating or solid sealant, and go from there. This will save you elbow grease in the short and long run.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

<snip>

Ceramic paint coatings make washing and drying faster because the dirt releases easy and water leaves the surface easy. It's really that simple. The same thing holds true for car waxes and synthetic sealants it's just car waxes and synthetic sealants don't last as long.

<snip>

So fast washing is in part only possible by frequent washing. Frequent washing wears off waxes and sealants. So coatings are a part of the mix for washing fast.

Make sense?

It also helps to have GREAT car washing tools to make you effective and reduce time and work.

I use ONR+Wax as a drying agent and topper after using a leaf blower to remove most of the water. I also use Optimum spray wax on the horizontal surfaces every time I wash which is almost weekly. Under this Optimum treatment is usually 476 or Fuzion, depending on the vehicle. If I use ONR+Wax and/or Optimum spray wax as drying agents to the already almost-dry paint the final drying step with MF towels includes wax and is slick-clean ready for the next wash. I believe this is probably a similar effect to coating which I have not graduated to and may never graduate to as I don't mind washing the vehicles weekly since it is a quick process now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    you could do a rinseless wash and be done in like 4 less steps
    ^^^
    THIS!

I've stopped doing water hose and bucket washes and switched to RW and have never looked back!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast