autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about cutting power

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if cutting power comes from the pad or the compound/polish.

For example,

Which will have more cutting power between these setup.

1) MF cutting pad with AIO like HD speed (agressive pad with light compound)

2) Finishing Foam Pad with M105 (least agressive pad with heavy compound)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about cutting power

anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

the source of the pad is going to give you the bite, it also depends on the polisher used. there are variables. here's an example of hd polish, lake country ultra-fiber microfiber pad with a DA used on this trashed paint...

Post Thanks / Like

Pads, and the aggressiveness level
    of compounds'/polishes' abrasives
    will play a role in cutting-power;
    But, so will the below variables:

•Polisher type
    •Polisher's speed setting;
    •Arm speed;
    •Down force
    •Etc.

Note:
    Very rarely would I "dirty-up" a
    Foam Finishing Pad with M105.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

will I be taking off any clear coat using MF pad with AIO using slow arm movenment and speed of 5?

I am asking this because I am planning to take my car into a bodyshop near future to get the front bumper and rear panel repaired so I do not want to proceed with full detail now (compound -> polish -> wax) and having to compound my car again after i get my car back from the bodyshop. I want to avoid removing clear coat as much as possible.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Why not split the difference, and use HD Speed on something like a white Lake County polishing pad?

You could also try Speed on a microfiber finishing pad as well.

Post Thanks / Like

In general the abrasive will do more work than the pad selection. But both work hand in hand. There are many variables to how aggressive a certain selection of products can be as Bob stated above. The pads have takes a big step forward in the last 15 years or so. Now they can add cut while still finishing down very nicely. When I started buffing cars there was wool and only one or two foam pad selections. So to answer your question: the cutting power come from pad and buffing liquid with the greater portion leaning to the buffing liquids adrasives. As far as your specifics which is better, you can try both and be the judge there.
    Jim

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    In general the abrasive will do more work than the pad selection. But both work hand in hand. There are many variables to how aggressive a certain selection of products can be as Bob stated above. The pads have takes a big step forward in the last 15 years or so. Now they can add cut while still finishing down very nicely. When I started buffing cars there was wool and only one or two foam pad selections. So to answer your question: the cutting power come from pad and buffing liquid with the greater portion leaning to the buffing liquids adrasives. As far as your specifics which is better, you can try both and be the judge there.
    Whats your input on this Dr Oldz,

Quote Originally Posted by boradori007 View Post
    will I be taking off any clear coat using MF pad with AIO using slow arm movenment and speed of 5?

I am asking this because I am planning to take my car into a bodyshop near future to get the front bumper and rear panel repaired so I do not want to proceed with full detail now (compound -> polish -> wax) and having to compound my car again after i get my car back from the bodyshop. I want to avoid removing clear coat as much as possible.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Technically, yes you will be removing clearcoat. Anytime you use an abrasive buffing liquid you are removing clear coat. When you polish paint to remove swirls you are just leveling the CC to make the bottom of the scratch level with the surrounding CC thus removing the sharp edges that our eyes see as a swirl or scratch, creating a smooth surface that looks shiny and glossy.

Now that you understand the technical aspect, the amount of CC you are removing is so minuscule that you have nothing to worry about with your process.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

This is very hard to answer. I don't think I have ever seen any tests done to determine that. If you really want to know, and you have the equipment, the best thing would be to do the test yourself.

IMO the pad has more influence on the cutting than the polish used. But I might be wrong on that. For example, it's hard to burn through clearcoat using a foam pad. It can be done but you have to be really careless, or do it on purpose. On the other hand, it is easy to burn through clear coat using a wool pad. For for that reason, I think the pad choice has more impact on the agressiveness of the cut.

I have been having a hard time compounding for the last few year, it would take a lot of effort and time to remove all the scratches and swirls. I use a long throw DA polisher. Then this spring I ordered microfiber cutting pads, and now it's easy. Even sanding marks from wet sanding with 1500 grit are removed in seconds.

As for clearcoat, you will always remove some no matter what kind of polishing you do. The more agressive the pad/compound, the more clear you remove. Something like a light polishing pad and finishing polish remove almost none. As for AIO, they are halfway between a polish and a compound in terms of cutting power.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast