autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I have the original Bigfoot 21. Never saw a reason to upgrade to the MkII.

Ya, I brush the pads after each section and I clean them every 1 or 2 panel depending on how they look. The kit comes with two pads, so when I clean one I switch to the other. Give them time to cool down and dry a little... although I have not noticed any heat when changing them. The cleaning in the pad washer probably cool them completelly.
    For me, I brush my pads very often. I don't wait to complete a panel to brush clean. With MF pads, my experience is that very frequent brushing makes the correction more effective because you're using much cleaner MF. I still go to my GG6 because with the innerflex pads, BOSS pads and the center hole punched in, my machine stays cool much longer. If you're only using a handful of pads in your arsenal altogether, that may be why your pads are failing. I have about 20 MF pads and even then I think I need more to make sure im not rotating in recently used pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, what compound to use with Meguiar's MF Cutting pads? LHR15 Mark II?
    Menzerna HC400 should work?
    Will use it for heavy deffects/hard clearcoat.

By the way, how many Meguiar's MF pads do I need to buff whole regular sedan? During compounding will clean it using a Rupes Claw brush.
    Are they durable?
    Do they stall a lot on contours? I'm still newbie, and I'm getting a lot of stalling by using Rupes Blue foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads

Quote Originally Posted by braga View Post
    Hello, what compound to use with Meguiar's MF Cutting pads? LHR15 Mark II?
    Menzerna HC400 should work?
    Will use it for heavy deffects/hard clearcoat.

By the way, how many Meguiar's MF pads do I need to buff whole regular sedan? During compounding will clean it using a Rupes Claw brush.
    Are they durable?
    Do they stall a lot on contours? I'm still newbie, and I'm getting a lot of stalling by using Rupes Blue foam pads.
    Best compound to pair with the Meguiars microfiber pads is Meguiars D300. It was created to work with those pads as a system and I haven’t found another compound that provides as high level of user experience and results. If for some reason that combo can’t correct fast enough, then bust out Meguiars M105 and use it with the microfiber pads. There shouldn’t be a paint on earth hard enough to survive that combo paired with a Rupes Markll.

Isn’t Menzerna diminishing abrasives? If so I wouldn’t use that with microfiber pads because ideally you want to keep your buffing cycle on the short side as opposed to a longer buffing cycle which diminishing abrasives are meant to use... If you have the habit of doing long buffing cycles you’re more than likely going to wind up like the people who talk about microfiber pads delaminating and not lasting very long. I’ve personally had the same batch of Megs microfiber pads for over 4yrs and they still work just like new because I don’t overheat them.

Using the brush to clean them is about 40% effective compared to using compressed air to clean them, be aware of that and if your paint is heavily oxidized or in need of heavy correction you’ll need to swap pads pretty often, expect no more than 2 panels before having to switch out to a fresh pad if you don’t have compressed air.

Side note: If you’re stalling try the washer mod.

4. Thanks braga thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Best compound to pair with the Meguiars microfiber pads is Meguiars D300. It was created to work with those pads as a system and I haven’t found another compound that provides as high level of user experience and results. If for some reason that combo can’t correct fast enough, then bust out Meguiars M105 and use it with the microfiber pads. There shouldn’t be a paint on earth hard enough to survive that combo paired with a Rupes Markll.

Isn’t Menzerna diminishing abrasives? If so I wouldn’t use that with microfiber pads because ideally you want to keep your buffing cycle on the short side as opposed to a longer buffing cycle which diminishing abrasives are meant to use... If you have the habit of doing long buffing cycles you’re more than likely going to wind up like the people who talk about microfiber pads delaminating and not lasting very long. I’ve personally had the same batch of Megs microfiber pads for over 4yrs and they still work just like new because I don’t overheat them.

Using the brush to clean them is about 40% effective compared to using compressed air to clean them, be aware of that and if your paint is heavily oxidized or in need of heavy correction you’ll need to swap pads pretty often, expect no more than 2 panels before having to switch out to a fresh pad if you don’t have compressed air.

Side note: If you’re stalling try the washer mod.
    Do I need to use more compound with Meguiar's MF Cutting pads comparing with a regular foam pads like rupes blue+fg400? Or maybe it is more economical?
    By the way, can I use D300 with Rupes foam pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by braga View Post
    Do I need to use more compound with Meguiar's MF Cutting pads comparing with a regular foam pads like rupes blue+fg400? Or maybe it is more economical?
    Yes & no.
    You’ll need to prime the microfiber pads prior to using a fresh pad meaning you want to spread just enough compound across the whole face of the pad so you don’t start off with any dry fibers on the paint, but once you prime the pad with a thin layer it’s the same 3-4 pea sized dots of compound so you’re not having to use more than you normally would.

Yes, D300 works well w/foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, D300 is the best overall compound on the market. It is super versatile, you can use it on any interface with good result and it doesn't dust unless you put it in extreme conditions (high winds/hot panels). From the testing done by Apex Detail, it seems like Sonax Cut Max is the best heavy compound on the market. I have not tried it yet but plan to purchase some when I run out of M105.

8. Likes dlc95, Goonie75, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    For me, D300 is the best overall compound on the market. It is super versatile, you can use it on any interface with good result and it doesn't dust unless you put it in extreme conditions (high winds/hot panels). From the testing done by Apex Detail, it seems like Sonax Cut Max is the best heavy compound on the market. I have not tried it yet but plan to purchase some when I run out of M105.
    The 3D ACA 500 finally knocked Cutmax off his top spot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The 3D ACA 500 finally knocked Cutmax off his top spot!
    Both are pretty nice to work with. Can’t go wrong with either one.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Both are pretty nice to work with. Can’t go wrong with either one.
    He loved that Cutmax.

13. Thanks Calendyr thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not anything against Apexdetail, but he uses different test panel every time so the results are not compareable. Only side by side tests are accurate. Sonax Cutmax definilately is not the best compound out there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast