autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Contintental DWS tires and protectant issue....

My wife got a set of Continental DWS tires for her Pontiac G8 back in May. I've been using Mother's Back to Black tire renew to clean them which is an awesome product.

The only thing is that whatever protectant I use just won't stay on there so far. The sidewalls go back to the blackish gray undressed look in a matter of a day or two especially if you wipe the protectant on. I'm not a fan of super shiny or greasy looking tires,but I do like it to look like there is a little something on there.

I had been using Surf City Beyond Black tire shine. I had used it in the past with great results,and then I found it on clearance for next to nothing at W.M. It worked great on her old Falken tires,and the tires on my other vehicles. I know that product is not sold here,but the price I paid for it was too good to pass up.

I have been using aerosol trim sprays to protect the honeycomb grils on our G8. I have used Stoner's Trim Shine with great results,but the last thing I tried was Duragloss 265 Ultimate Detail Spray. It's a nice product,but it is pretty glossy on tires. It has lasted a lot longer than wiping something on there. I used it last night as daylight was running out,and today I found overspray all over the car. I applied some of the Beyond Black in the same manner,and it looks really good too. However,it is hard to keep from spraying the car and your wheels also. That's why I like to use an applicator because it is much easier to keep from making a mess. As I said,that ain't working too good though

I have done a little reading,and this seems to be a Continental tire issue. Anyone else experience this? I wonder if the "new" will wear off the tires and they will accept dressings better,or do I need to use a more aggressive cleaning method? I do have Tuff Shine tire cleaner,and I also have an unused TW tire coating kit.

I also have CarPro Perl and McKee's 37 High Gloss tire gel,but I haven't used them yet. I was trying to use up all of the SC first.

My wife LOVES the tires regardless. We got a good deal on them too. They made a great car even better!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contintental DWS tires and protectant issue....

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    I also have an unused TW tire coating kit.

I also have CarPro Perl and McKee's 37 High Gloss tire gel,but I haven't used them yet. I was trying to use up all of the SC first.
    Well it's time to break your plans and try the new stuff on your shelf... 1 of them is bound to work. If none of them do, try Meguiars Endurance Gel. It's what I use on tires that refuse to cooperate. [Michelins]

3. Thanks A5IS thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had good success with PERL and McKee's Tire Gel on tires that don't cooperate.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue with my 19in Continental tires. Meguiars endurance gel or aerosol spray worked well. I liked the spray. Didn't try the Mckees Gloss Tire Gel on them but I do use it frequently with great results.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

6. Thanks RBATTLE10 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give the tires a really good cleaning with the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and apply the CarPro PERL since you already have these two products. This is a great combo!

8. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had 2 sets of DWs and one set of DWS currently on my wife's WRX. All Contis have suffered from "blooming" which is a release of rubber chemicals that turn the sidewalls brown. I have always had good luck using any degreaser to scrub the sidewalls, but I mostly use Westley's Bleche White on Contis to clean.

I am currently dressing those tires with either Stoner's More Shine or 4:1 diluted Meguiar's D170 Hyper Dressing with great success.

The tires in the photo haven't been dressed in over a month...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contintental DWS tires and protectant issue....-wrx-jpg  
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of 3 year old DWS's and I have good success with Mothers Back to Black. The shine wears off fairly fast (fine by me) but I'm not seeing any blooming.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine or similar product. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Then scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Repeat once or twice more. Finally scrub, dry thoroughly, and apply your favorite non-silicone based tire dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BlackMDX;1511116]Scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine or similar product. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Then scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Repeat once or twice more. Finally scrub, dry thoroughly, and apply your favorite non-silicone based tire dressing.

Follow those directions above!

Post Thanks / Like

Try Blackfire Tire and Trim AIO spray. It cleans and protects. I've used it on the same brand tire with success.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast