autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long to wait before applying wax...?

Hello. I have a question about sealant and wax.

I washed, decontaminated (Iron X and claybar), and applied a coat of Klasse sealant yesterday 2:30PM (Thursday). I buffed it off after half an hour or so.

And 11:00 AM today (Friday), I applied second coat of Klasse sealant. I buffed it off after 30 minutes.

Currently I'm at work, and I plan to apply 3rd coat of Klasse sealant later (maybe at 7:00 PM). This will be the last coat of sealant being applied to my car.

I will also apply wax (Collinite 845) after the 3rd coat of Klasse sealant. I was wondering whether the wax can be applied immediately after I buffed off the sealant....? Or should I wait until tomorrow morning (Saturday) to apply the wax...?

Thanks in advance.

Additional info: car was detailed in my garage, and kept in garage for the past 3 days of detailing process.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long to wait before applying wax...?

I'd wait for the full cure period to be over. Now, why are you doing 3 coats of sealant? I know some are fan of 2 coats but 3? I could be way off but IMO the solvents in the sealant will basically undo what you just did on the previous application. When you do 2 coats it's more for full coverage than really adding another layer. Three coats IMHO is a waste of time. The wax can be added for additional gloss but you're not getting extra protection. If I were you I'd just add the wax tonight and be done with it, skip the 3rd coat of Klasse.
    Also, wait for more expert detailers to chime in, maybe I'll learn my opinion is totally wrong

3. Likes ironmongoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I'd wait for the full cure period to be over. Now, why are you doing 3 coats of sealant? I know some are fan of 2 coats but 3? I could be way off but IMO the solvents in the sealant will basically undo what you just did on the previous application. When you do 2 coats it's more for full coverage than really adding another layer. Three coats IMHO is a waste of time. The wax can be added for additional gloss but you're not getting extra protection. If I were you I'd just add the wax tonight and be done with it, skip the 3rd coat of Klasse.
    Also, wait for more expert detailers to chime in, maybe I'll learn my opinion is totally wrong
    I agree. That seems like much overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Agree as well.

How many leather jackets do you need to wear before feeling safe on a motorcycle? Four???

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Thanks for your input.

I understand 2 coats are enough, but like you said, it is for full coverage just in case I missed a spot.... As you know Klasse sealant is difficult to remove if applied too much, so I literally used a couple of small drops for each panel. As an amateur detailer, I'm not sure whether that actually covered the entire car or not.... Or whether it was applied correctly at all... Lol

But now that you said adding another coat of Klasse sealant might undo the previous 2 coats... I just might go ahead with waxing today evening. And I'll eventually be free, and enjoy my ride

Post Thanks / Like

Additional question.

What really is "cure period" for Klasse? Some people say 8-12 hours while others say 12-24 hours....

Also, would you say 2 coats of Collinite are also an unnecessary overkill?

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you missed a spot---the wax will provide the protection needed. You're good to go.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Even if you missed a spot---the wax will provide the protection needed. You're good to go.

Tom
    Thanks. I appreciate your input

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are wasting your time.

Sealants have solvents in them, when you apply a new coat of sealant on top of an existing one, the solvant will remove the previous coat. So you are not building up like you want.

What you can do, is top the sealant coat with sacrificial layer like a wax or even better, a spray wax. Then everytime you wash the car, use that spray wax as a drying aid to prevent scratching the paint and adding a little bit more protection on your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E93to View Post
    Additional question.

What really is "cure period" for Klasse? Some people say 8-12 hours while others say 12-24 hours....

Also, would you say 2 coats of Collinite are also an unnecessary overkill?
    If you can wait 12 or more I would say that's enough. You can still drive it but just make sure it stays dry.
    I can't speak for the collinite question because I've never used it. IMO a sealant does the job well enough I don't add wax over it most of the time. When I do, I use Wolfgang Fuzion and do just 1 coat.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast