autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 problems.

Hey guys I applied too much Collinite to my paint and I let it side for over 5 hours. It dried off into an almost crusty consistency. It was mainly on my hood which is when I realized that I was applying way too much. I was able to wipe off the rest of the vehicle with almost no issues. The main problem I have noticed is that after wiping off I have noticed holograms and ghosting on the paint. I have heard that when you do apply too much it results in ghosting and holograms. I have also heard that it tends to sweat when you apply too much along with residual oils being left on the paint. If anyone has any sort of advice as to why it wiped off in that way please let me know! Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 845 problems.

No offense to any Collinite fans but I no longer use their products for the reason you stated. I applied too much with 915 and boy was it a PAIN to remove. Additionally, I had the same issues with Ghosting or hazing. If it were me (as I did), I would look at getting a wax remover or polish your ride to get rid of everything and start all over again. There are many other waxes or sealants that are much easier to use and will not ghost or haze.

Now again, I said this was MY EXPERIENCE. I may be in the small minority in this and I mean no offense to any Collinite Fanboys. I am just relating my experience with Collinite products.

I would look into other brands of waxes or sealants. Poorboy's, Pinnacle, Sonax, Menzerna liquid wax, Blackfire, SON1C and many other brands that AGO sells should suffice.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Wash it, carefully but fully dry it and look at it again.

4. Thanks DogRescuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are two problems working against you:

1) You let it sit too long before buffing it off
    2) It was applied too thick.

I've always found letting 845 sit for about 30~45 minutes was about right for it to dry yet still be easy to buff off. Any longer than that, especially in a hot climate and it will be hard to get off. If there was a crust or white build up when applying, you probably used far too much product. 845 goes on very thin and I've had the best success when it only appeared to be a slight haze on on the paint as it dried.

Putting it on too thick will lead to hologram-like effects in the paint. It will also lead to the paint "sweating", or hazing up in places, in really hot conditions. I've suffered both even after using the product for years, though typically only in small areas where I got sloppy. In both instances usually washing the car or hitting the offending areas with a QD spray easily clears things up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Thanks Celabe thanked for this post
    Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very good Colinite 845 sticky on this forum, if you havent read it, read it. The key to 845 (and all waxes really) is to apply THIN THIN THIN!!! Science dictates if you are getting ANY wax on the surface of the vehicle, you are getting enough. So more than is needed is simply wasted, and makes removal more difficult. And 845 applies VERY THIN!!!

8. Thanks DogRescuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was this 5 hours in the sun? I've had products dry faster than anticipated before and not wipe off. I've simply sprayed my waterless wash on the area and it wipes off. I've never left anything that long tho.

I use collinite on several family members cars because I don't see them that often and I want lasting durable protection and its a great value.

Here is Nick's guide. I've followed this and had excellent results

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ad.php?t=40243

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanm View Post
    Was this 5 hours in the sun? I've had products dry faster than anticipated before and not wipe off. I've simply sprayed my waterless wash on the area and it wipes off. I've never left anything that long tho.

I use collinite on several family members cars because I don't see them that often and I want lasting durable protection and its a great value.

Here is Nick's guide. I've followed this and had excellent results

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ad.php?t=40243

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Totally agree with Ryanm. Follow Nick's instructions and you'll have no issues. Collinate makes a great product and 845 is one of those that everyone should have in their arsenal. Great stuff. Sadly people go off the grid with this stuff. A little research goes a long way. Trust me, Nick's article is the definite guide on #845 - read the whole thing and then try again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Totally agree with Ryanm. Follow Nick's instructions and you'll have no issues. Collinate makes a great product and 845 is one of those that everyone should have in their arsenal. Great stuff. Sadly people go off the grid with this stuff. A little research goes a long way. Trust me, Nick's article is the definite guide on #845 - read the whole thing and then try again.
    Couldn't agree more. Not sure why folks have issues with 845? Did not use this product in a while, saw this post and was motivated to go into the garage and applied 845 to my dd. 87 degrees, high humidity. Machine applied PC 7424 with a blue LC flat pad. Thin, thin, thin is the key. Did the entire vehicle - had a beer - wiped off with ease.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Another downside is that my car is black, so that doesn't make it any better. I will give my car a quick wash and see if that makes any difference in the appearance of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    There is a very good Colinite 845 sticky on this forum, if you havent read it, read it. The key to 845 (and all waxes really) is to apply THIN THIN THIN!!! Science dictates if you are getting ANY wax on the surface of the vehicle, you are getting enough. So more than is needed is simply wasted, and makes removal more difficult. And 845 applies VERY THIN!!!
    ^^^This^^^

Like all the articles, stickies, and even the actual bottle itself that has the word THIN printed in all caps, you need to follow this advice.

I tried to cram my whole correction/wax into a singe day once. (Bad idea).

I guess I was shot toward the end of the evening, and I forgot to buff the 845 off of my rear bumper.
    Saw this the next day, and thought "Ah, crap". It was totally dried, and looked white.

Because I applied it THIN, the 845 that dried overnight into the morning (about 11 hours) wiped right off with almost zero effort.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast