autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Universal Pad Washer Question

Starting to take on a lot more volume of cars lately and I am considering to purchase a Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer while there is 20% off today. My main question is can this washer be used for "on the fly" cleaning? I use the complete Rupes compound/polishing system with my Rupes 21. I am assuming that even after washing and drying on a high speed that there will be some moisture left on the pad. Will this negatively effect affect the compound/polishing pad and product or is it ok to be a little bit damp?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Universal Pad Washer Question

I think the pads will be too damp to be effective after using the Pad Washer. It does a great job getting them clean quickly, and they can be dried somewhat. But IME they still need a few hours to completely dry.

Post Thanks / Like

one question I have about the grit guard washer as opposed to something like the LC System3000....it seems to me like the grit guard would rip up the face of a foam pad when running the machine over it. Is that the case?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pad washer as I hate doing it by hand and seem to be racking up a lot of dirty pads lately. This would save me a ton of time, but I also don't want the grit guard to wreck all the foam and have to buy new pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    one question I have about the grit guard washer as opposed to something like the LC System3000....it seems to me like the grit guard would rip up the face of a foam pad when running the machine over it. Is that the case?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pad washer as I hate doing it by hand and seem to be racking up a lot of dirty pads lately. This would save me a ton of time, but I also don't want the grit guard to wreck all the foam and have to buy new pads.
    I've had no issues using it on Rupes pads, LC Flat, Megs Microfiber, Scholl Spider Pads, LC Hydrotech...no visible issues. Maybe after a year or so of constant use...running against the grid certainly cant help them I'd think but for occasional, no problems here.

Post Thanks / Like

It won't be constant in the sense of every single day, probably once a week for the next month and then tailing off a bit through the winter. Though I suppose if I'm having to wash pads that frequently, it will mean I'm doing a lot of cars and that's not necessarily a terrible problem to have. Just have to keep buying the combo packs of thinpros to keep the cost down!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post

That was my concern with the grit guard as well. Actually ordered it then changed the order to the LC. I read a post where someone said the grit guard did damage the face of the pads, obviously I don't know that to be fact. I love the LC though.

If you do get it and you're using a product known to stain pads, like HyperPolish on a white polishing pad, a quick spray with McKee's pad cleaner and a real quick brus and it shouldn't stain. If the stains don't matter than ship that.

I've been really pleased with mine.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS