autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Iron X should everyone do it?

I ask because, although I watched Mike's video, I wasn't sure if it should be a normal part of a good detailing from start to finish and how often it should be done. Thank you for setting me straight. Teri

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron X should everyone do it?

Personally, I just use it when I clay, and I only clay when I'm going to polish, which is 1-2 times per year.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand the smell and it lingers for days. The Lemon scent is better but the lingering scent is brutal. My shop smells bad for days. That being said.... the IX paste works great for wheels and I use occasionally but I have stopped using it with no Ill effects. Claying(or substitute) process takes care of the IX step IMO. IX actually works very slow but people are amazed by the purple color. It's just a hype. And here comes the flack.......
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

fwiw, did my car recently which needed to be clayed badly. Other than around emblems and door handles, I had very little red streaking. I expected a lot more given how rough the paint felt. I assumed embedded road grime necessarily meant a lot of iron. Been about 10 months since I last IronX'd that car.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

I never used an iron remover until the other day on my brothers hyper blue crosstrek. Reason being we noticed a lot of iron spots in the paint that clay wasn't taking out.

The McKee's 37 was nice to use, smells bad obviously but easy on the nose meaning I wasn't really dying of the smell. It definitely worked but it seemed tocdo better in some areas than others. Granted it was the first time I did it and was working against the sun so next time I will try again on a cooler less sunny day but it will work.

Now do I think it's always necessary? Personally no. My immediate family owns only daily driver type vehicles so I don't necessarily need a show car finish on there's or even mine. I have always felt that clay/polish/wax yielded results I was more than satisfied with for my car and my family's.

I would say it doesn't hurt to do once a year as previously mentioned to see if there's any bonded iron particles and just to see if you find it a necessary step for your process on your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For my dd that's now almost 4 years old (longest car I ever kept lol) I clay, ironx and polish just once a year now.

And usually in the spring right after winter. It should be done at least once a year on a daily.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chet. If the paint is in need of claying you can be sure that it'll probably need iron x, well, according to my local conditions anyhow. I live close to the city so the iron is pretty thick here.

James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I can't stand the smell and it lingers for days. The Lemon scent is better but the lingering scent is brutal. My shop smells bad for days. That being said.... the IX paste works great for wheels and I use occasionally but I have stopped using it with no Ill effects. Claying(or substitute) process takes care of the IX step IMO. IX actually works very slow but people are amazed by the purple color. It's just a hype. And here comes the flack.......
    Only minor flack. The advantage of IX over clay is that it can attack portions of iron particles that are embedded. Clay will only sheer off the portion above the clear and perhaps pull some fragments out with it. That said, there are plenty of other contaminants embedded in clear that we don't address. I think the reason iron maybe more important is that when it oxidizes, it expands which has the potential to damage the clear; though I have seen zero evidence to support this. I mean, neither IX or an acid/fallout bath has been part of a consumer regimen for the last 30+ years of clearcoat. I think of typical consumer process and wash and wax or wash, clay, wax; I don't see consumer maintained clear failing prematurely in areas we expect heavy iron deposits (behind the brakes) when looking at the plastic parts where the base material isn't going to corrode.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Once a year for me and the neighbours wonder were the smell comes from. Lingers for days in the driveway. And it if happens to get tracked into the garage oh boy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast