autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee 37 Paint Coating Questions Before I Dive In

Hello All,

I will be picking up a new truck in a few weeks and have been thinking about what i want to do to protect the paint. The truck will be white, when i get it i will check to see if there are scratches or swirls (hopefully not, not expecting much). If the truck needs to be compounded/polished i would iron-x the vehicle, clay then polish. I have been reading and see that M105 and M205 have been a commonly recommended product (or would you recommend something else for a new vehicle) however i have read it is dusty and i live in South Louisiana where it is hot.

I have been reading a lot about the McKee 37 Paint Coating product. I am leaning towards that as well as their paint coating prep polish and the coating. I assume i would use this after i have used the above mentioned products?

After all of the polishing is it also a good idea to be double sure the paint is clean or any oil or anything else to do an IPA wipe?

Once i put the coating on and let is cure are there any other products recommended to put over the coating? Waxes, sealants or anything else?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee 37 Paint Coating Questions Before I Dive In

Welcome to A-G!
    I've done 3 of our cars with M 37 Coating. I'm just a hobbyist.
    After the M 37 prep wipe you don't need an additional IPA wipe. It does the same thing.
    The great thing about M 37 coating is you can get 5-6 cars from the 4 oz bottle.
    I maintain the cars with rinse less washes of the M 37 Rinse-less wash, usually as a water less wash.
    Beyond that I use Gyeon Cure once a month which is a SIO2 booster product (quartz ceramic).
    It is easy, and looks great.
    My cars are 7 months into the coating and they look like day 1.
    For washing as waterless or rinseless, get really good towels. At least 10 dedicated wash towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I hesitate to muddy the waters for you, but I think it was custmsprty (forum member) that did a white Nissan with Polish Angel Viking Coat and it looked spectacular. I only bring this up because it can sometimes be difficult to get that "pop" out of white vehicles. And POP was definitely achieved with the Viking Coat. Maybe look into it? It sounds like you still searching for possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Welcome to A-G!
    I've done 3 of our cars with M 37 Coating. I'm just a hobbyist.
    After the M 37 prep wipe you don't need an additional IPA wipe. It does the same thing.
    The great thing about M 37 coating is you can get 5-6 cars from the 4 oz bottle.
    I maintain the cars with rinse less washes of the M 37 Rinse-less wash, usually as a water less wash.
    Beyond that I use Gyeon Cure once a month which is a SIO2 booster product (quartz ceramic).
    It is easy, and looks great.
    My cars are 7 months into the coating and they look like day 1.
    For washing as waterless or rinseless, get really good towels. At least 10 dedicated wash towels.
    Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I hesitate to muddy the waters for you, but I think it was custmsprty (forum member) that did a white Nissan with Polish Angel Viking Coat and it looked spectacular. I only bring this up because it can sometimes be difficult to get that "pop" out of white vehicles. And POP was definitely achieved with the Viking Coat. Maybe look into it? It sounds like you still searching for possibilities.
    Haha, yes there are so many option! I am not 100% set yet and will look at the producer you mentioned above as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

M205 is fine, but I would recommend a more user friendly compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound instead of M105. Other good choices are the Wolfgang or Pinnacle twins, HD Cut and HD Polish, Menzerna Fg400 and SF3500.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudhog79 View Post
    Hello All,

I will be picking up a new truck in a few weeks and have been thinking about what i want to do to protect the paint. The truck will be white, when i get it i will check to see if there are scratches or swirls (hopefully not, not expecting much). If the truck needs to be compounded/polished i would iron-x the vehicle, clay then polish. I have been reading and see that M105 and M205 have been a commonly recommended product (or would you recommend something else for a new vehicle) however i have read it is dusty and i live in South Louisiana where it is hot.

I have been reading a lot about the McKee 37 Paint Coating product. I am leaning towards that as well as their paint coating prep polish and the coating. I assume i would use this after i have used the above mentioned products?

After all of the polishing is it also a good idea to be double sure the paint is clean or any oil or anything else to do an IPA wipe?

Once i put the coating on and let is cure are there any other products recommended to put over the coating? Waxes, sealants or anything else?

Thanks for the input.
    Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new truck.

You are going to like using the McKee's 37 Paint coating, its a pleasure to apply and best of all extremely easy. The effort/reward ratio is off the charts!

I would recommend using McKee's 37 Fast Compound or Fast Polish, Now unfortunately no one can tell you if you need to compound your truck or not, Upon inspection you will have to determine that. If the truck isnt bad at all, Fast Polish would be the best choice, As it has really amazing cut for a finishing polish, Yet finishes amazing. So more than Likely Fast Polish would be the best bet for you. It is also very user friendly, If you are new to machine polishing it is very pleasant to work with and features long buffing cycles, no dusting, and easy wipe off. This is the route I would go!

As far as IPA wipedowns, I have never been a fan, like Mike Phillip's says IPA has horrible lubrication, and after hours and hours of polishing you can introduce towel marring, after your freshly polished surface, After I polish my cars, I do not want to touch them.

I would recommend picking up a bottle of N914 Rinseless Wash concentrate, if you dilute it @ 1:8 it can be used as a Panel Wipe to remove the residual polishing oils left behind, Best of all this is a rinseless/waterless wash so it offers a ton of lubrication, So you do not have to risk towel marring.

Afterwards you can use the N914 to maintain your coating using it as waterless wash, or a rinseless wash, It is an amazing product and you will like it.

I will post links below for everything I recommended.

I will also post some links for the write ups I did on the products I recommended!

Here is a video of me coating a Hyundai Genesis, I used Fast Polish + N914 @ 1:8 to prep the surface, and then we applied the paint coating, I would give it a watch before you install the coating, As there are many tips in the video to get the best results.

McKee's 37 N914 Rinseless Wash
    McKee's 37 Fast Polish

Write Up For The Hyundai Genesis: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ee-s-37-a.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    M205 is fine, but I would recommend a more user friendly compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound instead of M105. Other good choices are the Wolfgang or Pinnacle twins, HD Cut and HD Polish, Menzerna Fg400 and SF3500.
    Curious as to what makes the M105 difficult to use?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    McKee 37 Paint Coating Questions Before I Dive In-escalateviking3-jpg

McKee 37 Paint Coating Questions Before I Dive In-escalateviking1-jpg

McKee 37 Paint Coating Questions Before I Dive In-pavk1-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I would follow Joe's recommendation and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhog79 View Post
    Curious as to what makes the M105 difficult to use?
    Thanks!
    The short working time can lead to frustration. Plus the dusting of it. Ultimate Compound would be a good choice as it is derived from M105. Longer working time but less cut. Same abrasive load just less of it compared to M105.

Another option is Sonax polishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast