autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Really Dirty Daily Driver. What to do in dirt conditions aka road construction.

So this year the city I live in decided the 2 mile stretch of road in front of my house needed all new water mains and sewer. Oh what a mess. Basically think of your average city street with sidewalks on both sides and then side walk to sidewalk rip it all out deep enough to put in sewer and water mains including the first half of my driveway. Of course this is not going fast. Being I live in Michigan they started this in April and I manage to get a coating of Collinite 845 on back then, it was too cold out to do a coating or sealant. However, it now going on July and I really haven't been able to do anything except hose it off. I do attempt a 2 bucket wash fruitlessly on occasion. Unfortunately it is my only vehicle, so I can't really be without it. I do not have any family within 3 hour drive so I can go over there to wash do a sealant or anything.

Under these conditions when it rains I have mud, when it is dry the dust is unbelievable. I have actually changed air filters on my vehicle twice since this started. Furnace filters every 20 days and they are really dirty. My biggest problem is I cant really get a wash and a good prep on the finish to do anything. Seriously by the time I completely wash and dry the car I am afraid to do a clay bar, there is already a layer of dust on the truck. I don't really want to grind that in and polish it into the paint.

Ok now the good news, I do have a sidewalk and driveway back again the front yard from sidewalk to street is still dirt, black top road though doesn't go in for several more weeks. I still have a mile or so of this to drive through every day but the dust has settled down a little bit. I am thinking of putting on a coating like Wolfgangs Uber, or the Gyeon 2 on sale right now. Hoping this will help me. I was thinking maybe I could do one panel at a time, basically completely clean, dry, clay bar, polish, prep to remove all polish, then look to make sure no cars are coming then apply the coating, wipe off excess. Wait a little bit then do another panel starting with the wash again on that panel then clay bar, polish, clean polish, coating rinse and repeat. I can not find anywhere where Wolfgangs uber can not get wet shortly after it is applied and dried. Where Wolfgangs sealant, you have to let dry 24 hours. Does this sound like a valid plan? What would you do? Really open to suggestions. I know it is going to take a lot longer to do this but I don't think the truck would stay dust free long enough doing a full wash, then dry, then clay bar, then polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Dirty Daily Driver. What to do in dirt conditions aka road construction.

That sounds like a nightmare. I think you got the right idea though in your situation. It will take longer but its possible to do. Do you have any self servicing car washes near you? if you do why not take it there and do what you need to do to it.

3. Likes JeffsRealm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Dirty Daily Driver. What to do in dirt conditions aka road construction.

Quote Originally Posted by blagunas6 View Post
    That sounds like a nightmare. I think you got the right idea though in your situation. It will take longer but its possible to do. Do you have any self servicing car washes near you? if you do why not take it there and do what you need to do to it.
    There is only one, kind of near me 20 mile drive, unfortunately it is old and out dated and they have a strict policy on hanging out there and doing anything. The other problem is doing a coating, there would be overspray from all the other cars washing. They want you to just come in and wash and go. I use them to rinse salt off and stuff in the winter and go there when my truck is caked in mud as of lately but not a viable option for that.

Then yeah it is a pain, however when it is done it will be a good thing, I keep telling myself that anyway. We never had fire hydrants before, it was more than a mile to the nearest hydrant, now there is one in my neighbors yard. Insurance will go down. There was a huge patch of crab grass I fought every year, which is now completely gone. I have a new driveway. Our old road was mainly just made up of patched potholes, so we will have a new road. You really learn what your neighbors are like though with such a project. Always thought the people in my neighborhood were calm and nice. Seen people get out of their vehicle and yell at the guys working on the road, scream and honk. Other people like me talk to them, told them feel free to use my hose to cool off on hot days if they need to. Every now and then on Friday if I get home early enough I stop and buy a couple cases of cold beer, offer it to the guys at the end of the day. I know they are just doing their job the best they can and they work long days some days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post
    There is only one, kind of near me 20 mile drive, unfortunately it is old and out dated and they have a strict policy on hanging out there and doing anything. The other problem is doing a coating, there would be overspray from all the other cars washing. They want you to just come in and wash and go. I use them to rinse salt off and stuff in the winter and go there when my truck is caked in mud as of lately but not a viable option for that.

Then yeah it is a pain, however when it is done it will be a good thing, I keep telling myself that anyway. We never had fire hydrants before, it was more than a mile to the nearest hydrant, now there is one in my neighbors yard. Insurance will go down. There was a huge patch of crab grass I fought every year, which is now completely gone. I have a new driveway. Our old road was mainly just made up of patched potholes, so we will have a new road. You really learn what your neighbors are like though with such a project. Always thought the people in my neighborhood were calm and nice. Seen people get out of their vehicle and yell at the guys working on the road, scream and honk. Other people like me talk to them, told them feel free to use my hose to cool off on hot days if they need to. Every now and then on Friday if I get home early enough I stop and buy a couple cases of cold beer, offer it to the guys at the end of the day. I know they are just doing their job the best they can and they work long days some days.
    You're a good guy man ..hope good things come your way like having your truck clean longer than you normally do lol

6. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post
    So this year the city I live in decided the 2 mile stretch of road in front of my house needed all new water mains and sewer. Oh what a mess. Basically think of your average city street with sidewalks on both sides and then side walk to sidewalk rip it all out deep enough to put in sewer and water mains including the first half of my driveway. Of course this is not going fast. Being I live in Michigan they started this in April and I manage to get a coating of Collinite 845 on back then, it was too cold out to do a coating or sealant. However, it now going on July and I really haven't been able to do anything except hose it off. I do attempt a 2 bucket wash fruitlessly on occasion. Unfortunately it is my only vehicle, so I can't really be without it. I do not have any family within 3 hour drive so I can go over there to wash do a sealant or anything.

Under these conditions when it rains I have mud, when it is dry the dust is unbelievable. I have actually changed air filters on my vehicle twice since this started. Furnace filters every 20 days and they are really dirty. My biggest problem is I cant really get a wash and a good prep on the finish to do anything. Seriously by the time I completely wash and dry the car I am afraid to do a clay bar, there is already a layer of dust on the truck. I don't really want to grind that in and polish it into the paint.

Ok now the good news, I do have a sidewalk and driveway back again the front yard from sidewalk to street is still dirt, black top road though doesn't go in for several more weeks. I still have a mile or so of this to drive through every day but the dust has settled down a little bit. I am thinking of putting on a coating like Wolfgangs Uber, or the Gyeon 2 on sale right now. Hoping this will help me. I was thinking maybe I could do one panel at a time, basically completely clean, dry, clay bar, polish, prep to remove all polish, then look to make sure no cars are coming then apply the coating, wipe off excess. Wait a little bit then do another panel starting with the wash again on that panel then clay bar, polish, clean polish, coating rinse and repeat. I can not find anywhere where Wolfgangs uber can not get wet shortly after it is applied and dried. Where Wolfgangs sealant, you have to let dry 24 hours. Does this sound like a valid plan? What would you do? Really open to suggestions. I know it is going to take a lot longer to do this but I don't think the truck would stay dust free long enough doing a full wash, then dry, then clay bar, then polish.
    What part of Michigan?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

8. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I am not the only forum member that cringed while reading that.

Hopefully they will be all done soon, and this mess will be a distant memory.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    What part of Michigan?
    Grand Rapids Area

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I'm sure I am not the only forum member that cringed while reading that.

Hopefully they will be all done soon, and this mess will be a distant memory.
    Yeah it is rough, let me share my pain with pictures, I completely did a 2 bucket wash Sunday. I usually spend half hour just hosing off solid particles. I took this pic last night. This is 2 and a half days worth of grime. End of the week its worse. Looks like I am out running trails but this is just the street I live on. They wet the road down several times a day to keep the dust down. I really need to keep protection on it. Hence the point of this thread. However, I really feel I am losing the battle. I completely quit doing tires and rims. There is really no point. Just keeping the paint protected.

12. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a pain! I would not take a buffer to the paint in those conditions let alone try to apply a coating. Just some spray way or spray sealant after a wash should be enough protection for the time being. The last thing you want to do is rub dry dust into your paint. Not to spend your money but a cheap electric pressure washer could help with your initial rinse, especially on those wheels. Best of luck!

14. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. A coating is not going to solve the issue. Get yourself something like Optimum Car Wax, Rupes P808 or even something like Meguiar’s Ultimate Fast Finish.

16. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would second to get a PW to easier get the loose dirt off the truck. Sunjoe has just been released their 9000 series which seems to be a great choice. They have gone with to look at the kränzle PW specs with a higher water flow which is something you want from a PW. Otherwise Greenworks and Sunjoe 4000 series is good choices too.

For protection when you have a PW you have the spray on rinse off coating topper. Gyeon Wet Coat and McKees 37 Hydro Blue or carpro hydro2 lite is some great options of those. If you get a good plastic sealant they keep it fresh to with those spray on rinse off products. The glass gets some hydrophobic too and the wheels gets easier to maintain. It fast to apply them and refresh them every other month.

18. Thanks JeffsRealm thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast