autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New car, to use sealant or not sealant

agreed that a da is worth the small investment, especially if you plan to keep applying annually/semi-annually. For a sealant you actually don't need/want a lot of force, you're not "removing" anything. So you can easily apply by hand. But eventually that new car is going to need a polish, and that's where your da shines. I recommend the porter cable intro kit you can get on ag.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post
    Hi,

So I have been reading the forums and going through the how to's I just got a brand new truck, and of course I want to keep it shiny. It it literally brand new, 2 weeks old 1000 miles. Before I waxed or anything I wanted to make sure I had a good plan.

My plan was for this weekend to

1. Do a really good wash
    2. Clay bar
    3. Sealant

Being the paint is brand new there are no swirls or anything.

Next weekend

1. Rims and tires
    2. Window treatment
    3. Do a really good wash
    4. Wax

It is my understanding it is ok to wax over the sealant, gives it more of a shine.

My reason for the sealant is because I am in Michigan, winter is on its way. Sooner than you think. I will not be able to wax it in the winter, I don't have a heated garage and even with space heaters pulling the truck all the way into the garage so the door closes leaves my about 2 inches front and rear bumpers. So basically my thought process is use a sealant, then wax over it for extra shine and protection, keep wax on as long as I can. Make it through the winter and repeat.

So I mentioned this to a friend of mine who works at a body shop, he is not a detailer but a manager. He told me not to use a sealant on brand new paint on a new truck. Because you would be buffing it and removing some of the clear coat. Which ok, I understand if I was going to be removing some swirls, but being it is so new there are no swirls or scratches and I really want to seal it and wax it to keep it that way.

So My question is my plan sound? Is it ok to go ahead and use sealant on a brand new car? Or should I do something else?
    For your friend to say that buffing sealant removes clear coat, I would A.Not use that body shop and B. Learn how things work. Sealants have no abrasives in them so you cannot remove clearcoat
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I use my DA to apply a sealant. It's a real time saver and I feel the application of product is much more even.

I'll use a soft foam waxing pad and keep the pad speed REALLY slow.
    ok thanks for the advice... so in general when applying sealant, wax.. speed rather slow, yeah?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    agreed that a da is worth the small investment, especially if you plan to keep applying annually/semi-annually. For a sealant you actually don't need/want a lot of force, you're not "removing" anything. So you can easily apply by hand. But eventually that new car is going to need a polish, and that's where your da shines. I recommend the porter cable intro kit you can get on ag.
    Yeah...but waxing is also not removing anything...and people us a DA for it... just my .02 cents...since I have no clue (YET!) how effective a flex or such is.

edit: is it recommend to acutally use a paint cleanser on a new car paint..since it wasn't exposed to the elements and so on...
    I want the perfect first time job on my new paint... so is cleansing/polish before the sealant really neccessary?
    My plan was to use 'P21S 12350B Paintwork Cleanser' then sealant, then wax (possibly).
    What does a polish really do...isnt that also like a cleanser basically?
    sorry for the dumb questions...lol..I thought I was an advanced detailer..but still lacking some basic here, or to put in another way some application processes still 'confuse' me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    For your friend to say that buffing sealant removes clear coat, I would A.Not use that body shop and B. Learn how things work. Sealants have no abrasives in them so you cannot remove clearcoat
    yeah agree, dumb statement... a clear coat is a sort of 'paint' so how could buffing with a sealant remove that coat... unless you use sandpaper for the buffing job (DO NOT TRY AT HOME KIDS! hehe).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345