autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Very hard lesson learned today

So, I found some time today to detail my car. I planned on doing a wash, decon, and wax. I used CarPro Trix in the direct sunlight, as I have done plenty of times before today with no issue, but today was different. After using it, the paint looks like it has some bubbling, orange peel, staining, in the pattern of water spots. I honestly have never seen this before.Left it on for 7 minutes or so, and The product was still wet when I rinsed, although the bottle was older, from 2015 I think so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Will post pics later as the sun is blasting and the damage/stain/whatever it is is hard to see in sunlight but very easy to see on camera in the shade.

Either way, the humbling was nice. We all need it from time to time, right?

I did try to polish with M101 on my GG6, but no luck, admittedly I didn't try more than one pass. I also polished my B-pillar and found out it has single stage paint, go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very hard lesson learned today

I had a similar issue with iron x on clear coat rims. Used times before in direct and on one hot day I left normal amount of time. Came back and rinsed and can notice faint water spots that won't go away. They are hazy. When I tried to rub with my first her it actually looked like it was eating the clear coat to an extent , as the clear coat got soft. The spot I rubbed looks rough from When I rubbed it with my finger as it actually agitated the clear coat itself. I was cleaning the rims to sell them and never bother to fix as most of what I tried had no effect. It's not overly noticeable....but to me I can see it every time I look at the rim.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of hard to diagnose without pictures. I know for sure TRIX would not cause orange peel, that is an aspect of how the paint was flowed onto the panel when it was originally painted.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember reading that Iron X or Trix can be used in direct sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like

It does say right on the bottle not to. In saying that. There are many products that say that but can be used just fine in the sun light. Like p21 wax. I've waxed numerous times in blistering heat and do 2 x 2 sections at a time with no issue.

For me I just let it bake jn there rather than a short dwell time. That was my lesson learned.

Wanted to let op know he wasn't the only one to make a similar mistake. Only way I seem to learn is from my mistakes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiCaLLioNStaLLyN View Post
    It does say right on the bottle not to. In saying that. There are many products that say that but can be used just fine in the sun light. Like p21 wax. I've waxed numerous times in blistering heat and do 2 x 2 sections at a time with no issue.

For me I just let it bake jn there rather than a short dwell time. That was my lesson learned.

Wanted to let op know he wasn't the only one to make a similar mistake. Only way I seem to learn is from my mistakes

There's another way to learn, read the directions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    There's another way to learn, read the directions.
    Sorry but I don't have a garage and I can definitely read and comprehend instructions. Everything gets done in direct sunlight or nothing detailing related for me could ever get done. That means using stuff in direct sunlight. And I've used Iron-X and Trix in sunlight before with no issue. I don't know what went wrong today, I went through the same routine I usually do.

Post Thanks / Like

pic

edit, better zoomed in version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very hard lesson learned today-untitled-jpg   Very hard lesson learned today-picspots-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juvefan30 View Post
    Sorry but I don't have a garage and I can definitely read and comprehend instructions. Everything gets done in direct sunlight or nothing detailing related for me could ever get done. That means using stuff in direct sunlight. And I've used Iron-X and Trix in sunlight before with no issue. I don't know what went wrong today, I went through the same routine I usually do.
    Buy a pop up tent.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a driveway. The street I live one is a one-way and is narrow. The tent would block traffic. This is what I have to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast