autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile detailing

How would you equip your mobile detail trailer if cost were not a factor, and what is the preferable size?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile detailing

If cost were not a factor, I would just buy a toy hauler RV.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

If cost isn't a factor, sell it and buy a Transit van. Mid to high roof (Depending on your height. You want to be able to easily stand up in it.) and extended length (Either extension depending on how much room you need.).

Trailers are a pain. The only reason I would want one is if it was big enough to fit any vehicle I would want to work on (Yep, push outs or fold outs) and was climate controlled. I've actually thought about modifying a trailer to do mobile detailing this way.

Post Thanks / Like

If cost wasn't a factor I would rather have a multi bay garage to work out of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    If cost wasn't a factor I would rather have a multi bay garage to work out of.
    Yeah but I could sleep in my RV!
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that already; am thinking of mobile as well as a garage. My main market area is 30 miles away. And I'm referring to the various detailing equipment/machinery.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion but I would absolutely hate driving around with a trailer everywhere. I think a van build out is the way to go but that's just my opinion based on 7 years experience with various mobile setups. Never did a trailer build though. Started working out of my Dodge Ram 1500 part time only weekends and moved to an Econoline E250 van when I went full time.

Right now I've got:
    Predator 8750 watt generator
    125 gal water tank
    SureFlo on demand pump
    Ryobi 125psi (IIRC) pressure washer
    100' pressure wash hose & reel
    Husky 30Gal air compressor
    100ft air line

I'll be upgrading the pressure washer to a professional grade model this year and also hopefully adding a water filtration system.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Nicholas. I appreciate your help. I'm still researching this business. I'm not a young guy(68); I'm retired and have always been an enthusiast--have attended one of Mike's classes. I've had many classic cars and really enjoy the work. I wasn't sure that a van would handle the weight of the items you mention plus all the other accessories, such as extractor, buffers, maybe steam cleaner, etc. I've priced the 6x10 prebuilt trailers and learned that I can get a custom built 6 x12 and add my own equipment for $6K less than a 6x10. That's a huge difference. So still thinking....really appreciate the info. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a used transit for 7000.2500 in machine and chemicals and hire a carpenter to build it out for you.The only draw back is maximum 100 gallon water tank.The rest is no problem .Check out my transit on fb St lucie auto spa.130k no problems just a couple of things went on it.I had every van they made ,the transit is eye level and both sides open great little truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigervette View Post
    Thank you Nicholas. I appreciate your help. I'm still researching this business. I'm not a young guy(68); I'm retired and have always been an enthusiast--have attended one of Mike's classes. I've had many classic cars and really enjoy the work. I wasn't sure that a van would handle the weight of the items you mention plus all the other accessories, such as extractor, buffers, maybe steam cleaner, etc. I've priced the 6x10 prebuilt trailers and learned that I can get a custom built 6 x12 and add my own equipment for $6K less than a 6x10. That's a huge difference. So still thinking....really appreciate the info. Ron
    Wow. Have you thought this through? Detailing is a very physical job. I am 46 and when I come home at night after a long detail I am completelly exausted, sometimes it takes me a day or two to rest from extreme jobs (talking 12-14 hours days).

I don't know how fit you are and if you have detailed for clients before but for almost all the jobs I get the person will wants at least an 8 hour detail, most of the time it's 10-12 hours. I am not expecting to be doing this at 68, I don't think I will be able to. Before you go and spend 6-10 grands on a setup, try to find a local detailer and ask if you can give him a hand on a detail for free. It will allow you to see how it is out there and if you can handle that much hard work. Interiors are the worst for me. All that bending and those contorsions to get to every nook and crannies in the car are quite an ordeal for the muscles. Exteriors are easier in a way but since it takes so much longer to do a paint correction, buffing for 3-8 hours can be quick exausting, especially if you are using a polisher that either vibrates a lot, or has a lot of torque you need to keep under control.

As for your question, I use a Dodge Caravan 7 passenger and I removed all the back seats to turn it into a cargo van. It has just enough room for all my gear and I have neither a water tank, generator, or compressor. I do not suggest you buy a Dodge vehicle, they are the worst unreliable crap vehicles. But it should give you an idea of the minimum room you need to carry all the detailing gear.

If I had to do it again, I would most likelly go for a Toyota or Honda mini-van. Toyota is rated in the top 3 most reliable vehicles every year. Can't go wrong with those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast