autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

"molded-in-color" body panels

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, I could not get the response I was looking for in the motorcycle forum. I just purchased an 08 Buell Blast with white plastic body panels, not painted. I have used Meguiars 3 step, Eagle 1 nano, and Turtle T-6 (waxes, washes, and detailers) on our Colorado under different conditions, and use microfiber exclusively for washing and drying/waxing. What do I use on "molded-in-color" plastic panels? The manual states Harley Gloss and Harley Shine; I also checked out the S100 line at the dealership.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "molded-in-color" body panels

IMO you should be safe using Meguiars wax and car wash on it and even the quick detailer if it needs touched up. If you dont like the results I guess you could always go with the "reccomended" Harley gloss.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

My black smart car also has plastic body panels, not painted, and I've used whatever product you can imagine on it, Menz polishes, XMT, Megs, and a long etc. with no problems.

Check this

Post Thanks / Like

Smart car (polybutyleneterphtalate panels:
    Daplen ED230HP replaces polycarbonate polybutyleneterphtalate (PCPBT) that traditionally serves in body panels, such as bumpers, side panels, tailgates, and hoods. Smart's pioneering approach to using polypropylene for full body panels is a major step forward for the automotive industry and its suppliers, Daplen ED230HP helped Smart tighten its production process while raising the environmental, aesthetic, and safety performance of its vehicle. The TPO is an in-mass colored compound: Colors are blended into the compound to provide a ready-made base coat. As a result, post-assembly painting steps are reduced with only a painted clear coat layer needed
    Novus Polishes (for PCPBT) - http://www.-.com/
    Last edited by TOGWT; 12-12-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Smart car (polybutyleneterphtalate panels:
    Daplen ED230HP replaces polycarbonate polybutyleneterphtalate (PCPBT) that traditionally serves in body panels, such as bumpers, side panels, tailgates, and hoods. Smart's pioneering approach to using polypropylene for full body panels is a major step forward for the automotive industry and its suppliers, Daplen ED230HP helped Smart tighten its production process while raising the environmental, aesthetic, and safety performance of its vehicle. The TPO is an in-mass colored compound: Colors are blended into the compound to provide a ready-made base coat. As a result, post-assembly painting steps are reduced with only a painted clear coat layer needed
    Novus Polishes (for PCPBT) - http://www.-.com/
    Really interesting info mate, thanx. These colores body panels are really something because they are very resistant to dents.

Post Thanks / Like

So is it safe to say these panels are colored plastic that is clear coated (clear paint) so you can treat it just like any other paint with clay, polishes, cleaners and waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    So is it safe to say these panels are colored plastic that is clear coated (clear paint) so you can treat it just like any other paint with clay, polishes, cleaners and waxes.
    Thats right, they can be scratched, they can be polished, waxed, etc. like a regular body panel, the only difference is that due to the natural flexibility of plastic they resist little bumps without denting.