autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Is there a more aggressive method we can use to compound before refining with ceriglass? Maybe a straight cerium oxide slurry and the griots pads? Trying to correct a really scratched up windshield is so time intensive with just ceriglass and ray-on pads.
    Ceriglass IS essentially a cerium oxide slurry. It's as aggressive as it gets, as I understand it. But it's milled finely enough so as not to induce undue harm. That's not to say you can't do harm, but the harm is likely to come from the applicator in combination with incidental foreign debris. I think to get "super aggressive" with glass, you'd essentially be "working backwards" (damaging the glass more than the damage you're trying to correct). One might go that direction with paint on occasion (ex.orange peel), but glass is a different animal and I'd never approach it like I would paint, simply due to the time involved in turning the train around to the "working forward" direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Sorry, should have made myself more clear. Of course panel wipe and mineral spirits will remove them. I'm sure if you use a few towels and several applications of glass cleaner you will remove the oils without the need of a panel wipe/mineral spirits. I was just giving a list of the compounds and polishes that are easy to remove vs the ones that are a PIA to buff off which requires a bunch of extra unnecessary work just to clean the residual oils. They can still be used and they won't do any harm, but because of all the extra effort required to clean aways the polishing oils, it makes more sense to use a products that wipe away clean and streak free with a dry microfiber like meguiars, 3D, and optimum typically do.
    This post and your previous one contain great info. Thank you, man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Really? What sort of issues have you seen people encounter? I assure you that using specifically SMAT compounds on windshields like HD Cut+ and M100 has a 0% chance of causing damage to the exterior of a windshield. Also, I can't imagine how SMAT specific compounds could pose any potential dangers that a DAT compounds will not? Please elaborate, thanks man!
    Micro scratches seen in certain light angles. Like cerium oxide the polishing media needs to break down to a finer grit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I use Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish, with a CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, then Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating. Then on the inside McKee’s 37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner every so often, glass is crystal clear!
    Doesn't Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish come with rain repellant as well? I was planning to purchase it, however, I was skeptical on the adherence of my McKee's 37 Glass Coating on the polished surface.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234