autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keep on marring my paint after polishing

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    True about the polish residue.

And to the OP, in my opinion Ultimate Polish works well, but is a real bear to remove.
    Oh for sure! I missed that part. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish seems to leave little nodules of polish that if you wipe really hard smear and appear to be marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Oh for sure! I missed that part. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish seems to leave little nodules of polish that if you wipe really hard smear and appear to be marring.
    Exactly. I Found out the hard way when my truck was only a few months old. As a complete noob, I was thinking "If this process is this hard, not sure I want to do this at all." Took me almost two 7-hour days to polish with/remove the UP, and the results were ok, but lacking IMO.

Fast forward to today, and I can rip through my entire truck with HD Speed in 5 hours. Even in the sun.

And I have found absolutely zero removal difficulty.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow!
    thanks guys for your great replies
    Never felt so welcome to a forum as my first post received so many helpful replies from the communities

yeah, i agree that UP is hard to remove compare to UC. when it dried up, it became sticky! at that point i began to feel the urge to toss it in a bin but decided it is too early to judge, might be my lack of skill to be blamed in the end. So, will trying to work on my skill and technique first.

i gathered a few tips from the replies
    1)try to avoid IPA whenever possible
    2)switching towel frequently to rule out wiping with saturated medium
    3)gentle pressure when wiping/buffing (it is hard when the UP gums up lol)
    4)remove with rinseless wash (hope it remove sticky UP residue)
    5)give up on UP, change to something better (oh yeah)

will try again this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ch17 View Post
    yeah, i agree that UP is hard to remove compare to UC.
    Definitely. I often use Ultimate Compound but then switch to Optimum Polish II or Pinnacle Advanced to finish instead of Ultimate Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Polish is simply way too oily in a lot of ways. It's great when you're polishing but not so great when you're removing. What I do is use Eraser all the time, or I use a paint cleansing lotion. Spraying those directly on or applying directly on and then wiping off might help you. See if it's actually oil or marring.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

seems like UP is not a good product to work with, looking for alternative now

HD speed gets a lot of love here for finishing but in my country, HD speed is selling at USD40 for 16oz
    M205 is significantly cheaper here but is M205 a better product overall than UP?
    another alternative is optimum hyper polish, not sure it effectiveness compare to traditional liquid type of polish

Post Thanks / Like

M205 is significantly cheaper here but is M205 a better product overall than UP?
    Yes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

okay, after some thought. i made the decision to go HD speed route since M205 is out of stock at my place. Able to find someone import that for me for half of the price

In fact, i think with today better tech, most newer AIO can replace polish + wax step effectively. I am surprised how much correction could be done by those AIO like Speed from youtube while giving at least a month of protection and i am totally sold. I could imagine my correction workflow now is UC + orange pad -> HD Speed + white/black pad. Walla! a proud sick shiny DD and i do not need to worry about marring from towel due to dry lube provided by the AIO. looks like a win win for a noob like me.

again, thanks everyone for being helpful and friendly toward new comer like me appreciate that
    pardon my English, coming from a place where English is not primarily used thru everyday communication

Post Thanks / Like

okay, after some thought. i made the decision to go HD speed route since M205 is out of stock at my place. Able to find someone import that for me for half of the price

In fact, i think with today better tech, most newer AIO can replace polish + wax step effectively. I am surprised how much correction could be done by those AIO like Speed from youtube while giving at least a month of protection and i am totally sold. I could imagine my correction workflow now is UC + orange pad -> HD Speed + white/black pad. Walla! a proud sick shiny DD and i do not need to worry about marring from towel due to dry lube provided by the AIO. looks like a win win for a noob like me.

again, thanks everyone for being helpful and friendly toward new comer like me appreciate that
    pardon my English, coming from a place where English is not primarily used thru everyday communication
    Your English is better than most of the people on here!

Post Thanks / Like

Ch17: I'm not a total noob, but I hadn't corrected the swirls in the soft black paint on my 96 SVT Cobra Mustang in over a year. I too used UP, because I didn't want to go with a more aggressive compound. I had the exact same issue, even when using my softest MF towels. I posted a similar question, and received many good suggestions. I also talked to a Meguiar's representative at a large car show. He also told me that I was seeing the oils left behind by UP.

His suggestion was to wipe down the car with a Detail spray or just wash it.

When I wipe down I try to always add quick detailer or ONR sprayed on my MF towel so as to NEVER wipe dry. For final wiping I use gray Chinchilla MF towels from AG which are supposed to be the least likely to leave a mark. So far they have done a very nice job.

Your English is excellent, I never questioned it at all until you said something. When you said Bonnet I figured you were in Great Britain.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast