autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paint film install gone wrong

I have been waiting to get suntek installed on the front bumper of my '15 corvette so that I can do paint correction and coat the whole car. I had the bumper repainted to get rid of rockchips and decided to have it wrapped to get it chip free. I got the car back from getting the film put on and the installer used a pre cut kit that had 4 pieces. He installed the 3 center lower pieces on upside down. I couldn't believe he gave it back looking like that. I took it back and he re-did the center using bulk film. First thing I noticed was that he must have put it on then cut it to fit. I saw multiple cuts in the paint and the lower edge was peeling up badly. I told him I would take the front lip off and bring it back so he could re-wrap it all the way under. I just got it back for the third time and couldn't believe it. he did the same thing except the top edge that is visible is jagged and wavy with cuts all over the place. At this point I do not see any other option than having the bumper repainted. Extremely upset with the situation. He came highly recommended from someone who had their entire corvette done. Any recommendations on what I should do? I feel like the only option is to have him pay for the bumper to be repainted and refund the cost of the original install..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint film install gone wrong

I would contact a lawyer. You paid for the laser cut fitted ones and through his mistake, he ended up damaging your car. Go in with a lawyer and explain to the installer what you you want from him.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

•I'd find out:
    -Is this installer "Suntec certified"
    -Just exactly what your Suntec PPF
    warranty encompasses
    -How far this installer will willingly go
    to make amends ($$$) for damages.

•(Just a thought):
    -Pre-cut kits should not
    need any further cutting...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately this seems to happen all to often. Good installers are very hard to find IME. At the very least get your money back and have the film removed. You can try and get them to pay for the repaint but it may be a lost cause and not worth the court battle. I'm guessing you paid around $800 to have it painted the first time?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really wish I would have done more research. I am hoping I do not have to go the lawyer route but that may end up happening if he does not cooperate. He is already trying to make up excuses. Yea the repaint was 800 and was perfect. I should have just left it. I will post pictures later so you can see how bad it actually is.

Post Thanks / Like

On my 10 year warranty card, it specifically states:

"This 10 year warranty applies only to SunTek Paint Protection Film Ultra. Suntek Paint Protection Film Ultra is intended for use only on fully cured OEM vehicle painted surfaces. Vehicle surface repainting is not covered under this warranty irrespective of the reason for removal."

At this point I'd be leery of removing the PPF because since you had the bumper cover repainted, there is a chance removing the PPF will remove uncured paint. So the bumper cover may need a repaint. If you're seeing damage from the installer, you probably have a good case.

As Bob mentioned above, the installer should have been SunTek certified installer, you should contact SunTek and see what they can do. Hopefully they'll escalate the case and you'll get some traction.

I just got my new 2016 Mustang EB back yesterday. They did a full-frontal of SunTek PPF Ultra and it came out amazing. If you got the Ultra, you should not polish it and coat it. It already comes with a self-healing coating. Polishing it will remove the factory coating and will remove the self-healing properties. When you contact SunTek provide them with the PPF installed on your vehicle and ask them for care tips and techniques.

Hopefully you'll get this resolved. Please reply back to the thread when you can give us and update.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update we have been going back and forth and he is refusing to compensate me at all. And is saying no one will ever notice except me. Which baffles me as to how that makes it ok. Here are some photos:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jermoff View Post
    Just an update we have been going back and forth and he is refusing to compensate me at all. And is saying no one will ever notice except me. Which baffles me as to how that makes it ok. Here are some photos:
    Him saying that is admitting there is a problem, and simply saying "only you will notice" doesn't justify a thing. I, as others have said, would contact legal help. Get your money back, repair your damaged car, and maybe even then some. Also, another route you could go is contact Suntec and let them know one of their "certified" installers is dishing out garbage.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Him saying that is admitting there is a problem, and simply saying "only you will notice" doesn't justify a thing. I, as others have said, would contact legal help. Get your money back, repair your damaged car, and maybe even then some. Also, another route you could go is contact Suntec and let them know one of their "certified" installers is dishing out garbage.
    Agreed. You paid for a quality, precut film install. Not a hack job that "only you will notice". Sorry this is such a nightmare!

Post Thanks / Like

I've lost all patience for stuff like this. What I have learned from having a few experiences like this is...

1) Do not let these guys touch your car again. They will just waste your time and make the problem worse. They will also be more reluctant to compensate you as they will have sunk more labor cost.

2) Demand both a refund and that they pay for a repaint. Bring a quote from a reputable shop. Propose that they can also pay directly to another shop of your choosing to redo the work if they don't want to pay you out. They are clearly not capable of providing the service you paid for.

It's very likely that you'll just be screwed by these guys, but I think doing this gives you the best odds of preventing it from getting worse and getting anything to fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast