autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti gloss coat issues.

Hey guys, I’ve been having issues with Opti gloss coat. I’m sure it’s self inflected but can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong here? I notice haze marks similar to a spot of wax you might of missed. I’ve also seen a silhouette of the arrow or the tip of the applicator on the paint.
    Here is my current process. I’ll skip all the obvious andsay I use Menzerna PG 400 for my compound and Menzerna SF 4500 as my micropolish. After all the correction is done I use optimum ceramic coat prep towipe everything down before applying the coating. The applicator I’m using isthe one with two piece Velcro (has the arrow shape) and a blue micro fibersquare. I’ve really got comfortable with using this applicator but if there isa better way to go about it let me know. The blue one they provide I don’t feelmoves the product s well. Maybe my applicator is getting too much product butwhats happen is after I’m done
    I can see the productgoing on well and I see if “flash” and remove the high spots (rainbow colorspots).
    I’ve tried letting the product sit longer and I’ve triedwiping it off about 1 min after I applied it. I use good micro fiber towels towipe it all down. Temps have ranged from 65-85 and the humidity wasn’t higherthan 50-55%. This is being done in my garage and not in the sun. I’ve also doneit under a fan and no fan. I’m using good light and it looks to me like I’mwiping everything down good but still I’ll get the occasional haze? Lastly, I just wanted to mention that I've used two different 20cc tubes just to rule out a bad batch.
    Can anyone see what I’m doing wrong or offer a bettersuggestion? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti gloss coat issues.

Sounds to me like you are simply using too much product. You say after it flashes you can see the oily rainbow spots--are you wiping those with your MF towel? I would go over again with your applicator to redistribute the product. Those "rainbow" areas are where you have too much product, so you want to spread that out a little more, but you want to do it right after it flashes, and then wait, I dunno, 30 more seconds to do your microfiber wipe. You don't want anything to have gotten sticky before you wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree, when I use Gloss Coat I would say about 90-95% of the product flashes clear without need to wipe/level, and when I have high spots I typically spread them again with the applicator, once the whole car is done I then take a last look for high spots and lightly wipe/level with my towel as Gloss-Coat is pretty forgiving temperature providing...even then you can typically re-wet the applicator and spread any high spots that have been sitting for awhile. Most of the time I follow up a Gloss-Coat application with Opti-seal..which will also help spread any high spots you may have missed....

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll be more aware about how much product I'm using. What are you guys using for your applicator?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with applying too much product. When I'm Coating I Always use 2 towels to "level" the high spots. First towel is a CarPro suede followed by a short/medium nap MF for the second towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetailer1 View Post
    Ok, I'll be more aware about how much product I'm using. What are you guys using for your applicator?
    I've tried the suede applicators and the included blue foam applicator. I've found the included blue foam applicator works best. There are a few videos on youtube showing how to prime the foam applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only done two vehicles with gloss-coat, but I wasn't doing much wiping off. I really have to concentrate though to minimize how much goes on. I would do one test panel with a bare minimum amount and see if that is successful.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I get more of the applicators that come with the product? I might give the blue foam pad a go again or just apply far less than what I am now on those suede squares. It's a shame because I like the control with those.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also have some polishing oils still on the paint. Menzerna polishes can be pretty oily IMO and I don't find Opti-Prep to be the best at removing oils when compared to some others like Panel Wipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a combination of too much product and too much oil left on the paint. I try to use Hyperpolish or Reflect before coating since they're not very oily and easy to remove their residue. You might want to wipe three times around the car and then wait 20 minutes for all the solvents to de-gas on the paint before you coat as well. On the included applicator, you only need to draw a V on one quarter of the blue foam applicator and a few dots to re-prime it after each panel. The 20 cc should be enough to coat 5 regular sedans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast