autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why am I so bad at cleaning wheels?

Everyone on the internet makes it look so easy. My process for painted/clear-coated wheels:

1. Foam cannon + pressure rinse
    2. Heavy spray Iron-x, agitate with speedmaster brush, rinse
    3. Heavy spray Meg's APC, agitate with brush, rinse
    4. WHEELS STILL FULL OF DIRT - clean literally every square millimeter with APC and wet mf towel
    5. Give up when back starts aching, apply opti-seal
    6. Complain

Any tips to speed this up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why am I so bad at cleaning wheels?

I won't waste Iron-X on dirty wheels. To me, is a product that should be used to remove only embedded contaminants after you wash the wheels and you are about to coat them. Yes, it can clean wheels, but so do an APC for a much cheaper price.

These do a better job than brush:
    Lake Country Wool Wheel Washing Mitt

Use a bucket of water + soap. Also, use gloves with this mitt because the material from inside can stains your hands due the dye used on in.

After that, follow with a microfiber towel and do the small areas that couldn't reach with the mitt.

To me this is the more effective way to clean the front of the wheels. For th.e back, use the Wheel Woolies

Post Thanks / Like

lol, that's hilarious OP
    For me, I've found Meg's APC (even at 4:1) is about the least effective cleaner Autogeek sells.

I bought a few gallons of Mckee's Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner along time ago during a sale and I really love being able to use it on wheels, tires, barrels, wheel wells, trim...etc. It works better than any degreaser or APC I've ever used

Now I use OPC 3:1 because at this dilution it's a way better value than Cleanse-All Exterior Cleaner. OPC 3:1 for wheels and tires will make your life so much easier than D101 at any dilution

Post Thanks / Like

How long do you go between cleaning your wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Spend a day pulling wheels off, clean them real good, coat them with something like Gyeon Rim, hose 'em off going forward.

Save much time...

Post Thanks / Like

How long does Gyeon Rim last?

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Rim description: Apply to wheel and allow 2-5 min. for product to dry.
    Gyeon Rim video: Gyeon rep applies it and says to give it 30secs. and wipe off... Ok. Then he says maintenance of the wheels will work by using a PH neutral wheel cleaner and high pressure rinse..

So basically I can maintain my wheels clean the same exact way I currently do, except I'll have to buy a different wheel cleaner because I don't think Megs D143 is ph neutral. I think I'll just stick to my current methods. As far as my wheels beading? I've never even bothered to look at whether wheels bead or not

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

My wheels are coated with DLux, then topped with Jetseal. They don't get dirty what so ever. All I use is a little soap and a QD spray and they look brand new every time.

I second the post suggesting to do a "wheels off" detail at least once a year. Clean them really good. This is the only time I ironx them. I then even grab a 4" MF cutting disk and go to town on the inside as well. I spend a really good amount of time cleaning them up at least once.

They are good to go the entire year.

i won't ever ironX my wheels when the are on the car. The stuff isn't safe for brake components and possibly could leave staining .

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion:

Buy a dedicated wheel cleaner. Makes a huge difference. They're formulated to address the specific contaminants found on wheels, and they clean tires better. I would suggest Meguiar's D143.

I use wheel woolies for the barrels and between the spokes, a wheel woolies boars hair brush for lug nut area, and a wheel MF for the face. I have a Speedmaster Jr. but I mainly use it for tight areas and motorcycles. I prefer the more dense wheel woolies as they clean quicker. Don't forget gloves too, to keep brake dust and wheel cleaner off your hands.
    (IMO)

Once they're clean wax or coat them. Then you can probably get by with a wheel MF and normal car wash solution.
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007
    Green 1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 & Silver 2007 Honda ST1300

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Big Ern!

If by any chance you are working on Older Gloss-Black wheels these can be harder to work with.

Try McKee's 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel Its non-acidic pH-balanced.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why am I so bad at cleaning wheels?-ernie-mccracken-kingpin-jpg   Why am I so bad at cleaning wheels?-4131-jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast