autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re Using Micro Fiber Towels

Seems the rule is use "Many" microfibers towels when cleaning now a days. How many times do you wash your micro fiber towels before you toss them ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re Using Micro Fiber Towels

I have dedicated towels for each application, like most here on AGO. I only do my own, and a couple family and friends every now and then. I wash towels weekly as they are used with Poorboys Typhoon MF detergent. Before I was using All Free and Clear, I might be crazy but I can feel a difference with Poorboys. Almost 2 years on my towel collection and they still feel and work great

Post Thanks / Like

I have some towels dating back to at least ten years that I still use today if that says anything. Some of them have been washed more than a hundred times and are still perfectly fine. I don't make it a habit to throw out towels until I've pretty much destroyed them. Once they start feeling rough, I demote them to dirty work like scrubbing tires or wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    I have some towels dating back to at least ten years that I still use today if that says anything. Some of them have been washed more than a hundred times and are still perfectly fine. I don't make it a habit to throw out towels until I've pretty much destroyed them. Once they start feeling rough, I demote them to dirty work like scrubbing tires or wheel wells.
    WOW. Know I dont feel bad re washing them. same here they come out nice and soft. why not re use

Post Thanks / Like

I have some towels that get washed a couple times a month, dryer towels mostly. The waffles seem to hold up just fine, as do all my other towels. The only issues I have had washing them is stains, though the feel of the towels and functions don't seemed hindered for this. We have towels at the shop, DI Ultra Plush towels to be exact, that are 2-3 years old and have probably been washed a hundred times. They are still good and only slightly less plush compared to new ones. I have found that with microfiber you typically get what you pay for. It hurts buying 20 towels at $5.99 each, but if I am still using the same 20 towels two years from now I can't complain.

I wash my towels as follows.

1) soak in bucket with 1-2oz, of microfiber detergent for about 30 minutes. Warm water. This helps release dirt and chemicals from the towels.
    2) wash on delicate/knit cycle with warm water.
    3) air dry, always. When I started air drying the feel of my towels after a wash improved significantly.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legumes View Post
    I follow this protocol to the T also. For what good towels cost, idk how people could not reuse them? Lol. Not to mention they should be washed out of the box anyways for lint reasons and to make sure they are clean to use. So it's getting washed once before ever being used.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I have some towels that get washed a couple times a month, dryer towels mostly. The waffles seem to hold up just fine, as do all my other towels. The only issues I have had washing them is stains, though the feel of the towels and functions don't seemed hindered for this. We have towels at the shop, DI Ultra Plush towels to be exact, that are 2-3 years old and have probably been washed a hundred times. They are still good and only slightly less plush compared to new ones. I have found that with microfiber you typically get what you pay for. It hurts buying 20 towels at $5.99 each, but if I am still using the same 20 towels two years from now I can't complain.

I wash my towels as follows.

1) soak in bucket with 1-2oz, of microfiber detergent for about 30 minutes. Warm water. This helps release dirt and chemicals from the towels.
    2) wash on delicate/knit cycle with warm water.
    3) air dry, always. When I started air drying the feel of my towels after a wash improved significantly.
    Good info. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You'll figure this out as you go along. The microfiber towels on this site are pricey but they are worth it. Especially for the exterior. I use the lavender ones plus a couple of real thick ones for spray waxes and detailers.

For the tires and wheels, I use the ones that are really old or badly soiled or the cheapies from WalMart. I use the cheapies for the interior, too.

But stick to AutoGeek microfiber for exterior. If you go to that page, they have a chart that breaks down microfiber by weight, knap, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tampatopless View Post
    But stick to AutoGeek microfiber for exterior. If you go to that page, they have a chart that breaks down microfiber by weight, knap, etc.
    That chart is nice, other sites should follow suit, but there are quality distributors that sell great microfibers that aren't as pricey. I dare not name them though...lol

Shop around, read reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually go through mine once a year and toss ones that seem in bad shape. But it's usually not a lot. I wash them separately with microfiber detergent and vinegar to keep the fuzz at bay.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast