autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Based on the GPM listed for the Ryobi, and some assumptions on the properties of the hose, properties of water, etc... a .25" diameter 25 long hose will produce a significantly larger pressure drop than a .375" diameter 50 ft long hose when calculating the losses due to friction (both of which are small in the grand scheme of things).

I did some basic calculations to show this...

50 ft hose, 0.375 in diameter...

25 ft hose, 0.25 in diameter (using same assumptions as in the 50' .375" D calculations)...

The more critical part of the system downstream from the pump is the nozzle. The nozzle is what generates the output pressure by effectively reducing the area for the water to flow through. This is why I purchased a new set of nozzles that are appropriately sized for the flow rate of the pump and the desired output pressure using the chart found in the PDF I had provided a link to.

"The nozzle does not create the pressure in and of itself. The pressure washer pump creates a specific amount of flow. By damming the flow with nozzle, you create the pressure—much like when you put your thumb over the end of a garden hose to create a more powerful stream of water. The nozzle is part of a system and must be properly sized to be correctly paired with the flow of the pressure washer. Putting on too small a nozzle can over-pressurize the pump and cause problems. Putting on too large a nozzle lowers the pressure, meaning a loss of efficiency and cleaning power. "
    Link for Reference

If you read through my OP, you will see a link to a PDF which has photos, descriptions, and links to all of the parts that I purchased.

To replace your hose, you just need to find another hose with the same connection (assuming it isnt a proprietary connection like the Karcher), or use a converter to change from whatever size connection your PW output is to a more common hose size like I did (convert from M22 to 3/8").

The flow rate and water pressure of most household water supplies is way more than is needed for a tiny pressure washer pump.

Having a 50' hose allows me to connect my PW to the water supply and maneuver myself around my entire driveway (and previously in my entire shop when I was a professional) without the need to move the pressure washer. A 25' hose means I would have had to have placed the PW fairly close to the vehicle, and then it would barely reach around both sides of a larger vehicle.

Like I said, the PW functioned just fine... it was the little things that really bugged me over the 4+ years I owned it. The hose, the spray wand, the parts falling off of the unit, etc.

Again, as was said in my OP, the Karcher operated perfectly fine. No one is disputing that. As a whole package, it is my opinion that the K5 was lacking in terms of quality of sprayer, hose, gun holder, cord holder, etc. that did not justify the 3x price over the cheap unit I have purchased. Upgrading the cheap unit with high quality parts for a lesser price than the K5 has made, for me, an ideal car washing unit.

Agree... the internals of the unit are nothing to be upset at. They work as expected and were perfectly fine for me... it is the attachments (hose, sprayer, wand, hose holder, cord holder, etc) that were poor and should have been higher quality for the price tag IMO.

Finally someone that speaks English! J/K

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I was thinking about the pressure loss while reading this thread.......it's like you read my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

Just bought same pressure washer about a month and half or two back, right after they went off sale from $80.00 back to $119, I switched out gun and hose as well, but kept same diameter (1/4) hose just 50 feet. 50 feet is great but may switch up again to your setup thanks for posting and providing info (parts/list)

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 1600 psi Ryobi a little over a year ago and love it.
    I upgraded the hose to a 25' Flexzilla hose last year. Gets the job done with only a couple shifts

I just received my MTM SG-28 gun with the appropriate fittings today. I also bought a set of the 2.0 gpm nozzles for it.
    I wanted to try the shorty handle approach and just needed a little push which I got after reading your thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I bought the 1600 psi Ryobi a little over a year ago and love it.
    I upgraded the hose to a 25' Flexzilla hose last year. Gets the job done with only a couple shifts

I just received my MTM SG-28 gun with the appropriate fittings today. I also bought a set of the 2.0 gpm nozzles for it.
    I wanted to try the shorty handle approach and just needed a little push which I got after reading your thread.

Does adding 2 gpm tips do much for the output of this? Maybe it was covered in the Basic Calculations post and I missed it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddear30 View Post
    Does adding 2 gpm tips do much for the output of this? Maybe it was covered in the Basic Calculations post and I missed it
    They are not 2 GPM tips, they are tips with a 2.0 orifice size. Using the nozzle size calculator shown on my parts list, you can determine the appropriate orifice size for your machine based on the GPM and PSI rating of the pump.

Too large of an orifice will result in a loss of output pressure/performance. Too small of an orifice can create too much pressure and damage your pump.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up some 4.0 tips in addition to my new pressure washer.
    Added this to my tool collection yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Still loving this setup... use it every 1-2 weeks on my car, and have done some cleaning around the house with it as well

Post Thanks / Like

Zach, thanks for all these information. It helped me better understand the components I need.

Been doing a lot of research lately to prepare myself in buying all these parts. I stumbled upon this video last night. Looks like MTM Hydro will bring out a spray gun with an integrated swivel on it named "SGS35". It's coming out in August. This should mimic the Mosmatic spray gun with the integrated swivel.

2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Good find... the MTM hose I bought has an integrated swivel in it which I thought was a nice feature so if I end up switching guns in the future for whatever reason I am still in good shape

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have same ryobi 1600 psi unit and it did decent job for the price while running,
    but within return period time, unit I had stopped pumping waters. It's good unit, but if youre detailing for money, then I would not recommend.

in other hand, I got karcher k4 water cooled motor and its been running strong for couple years now
    with about 3 times use / week.

I really hate how stiff karcher PW hoses are tho.. it still drive me nuts sometime.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast