autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

Oh yeah. I meant to add that I’m asking about PSI limits in typical everyday use scenarios. I’m sure I could use 7000 PSI when standing 25 feet away, but that’s crazy talk. Ha. Also, I’ve seen random articles suggesting nothing really over 2000 PSI output , but I wanted to hear what those on the forum had to say. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenwayfan77 View Post
    Tony. Thanks for your response. It's greatly appreciated. I apologize, but I'm not exactly able to specifically discern what you are trying to state. I may be completely mistaken, but are you attempting to denote that if the PW output pressure (PSI), obtained via any particular combination of GPM and orifice chosen, is painful to one's hand, then it may be dangerous to the vehicle's paint? I may be confused with your response, and you may very well not be saying this at all. You also might be trying to discuss two separate topics or a combination of both (1 being personal safety, and 1 being safety of the vehicle's paint). I'm not quite sure. If you are discussing personal safety, I appreciate the warnings. I'm actually familiar with pressure washers, but haven't used them yet for a vehicle wash. Looking forward to it though! If you are in fact attempting to say that if it's safe for one's hand, it's safe for the paint, then I would venture to say that is an accurate statement. However, I would politely argue that it is not very scientific in nature. Ha. Some clear coats are harder than others, some people's pain thresholds vary dramatically, etc. I know most people utilize the 40 and 25 angled tips or a combination thereof.

I'm more interested in learning if anyone has done an analysis on the most efficient/effective range of output pressure (PSI) for vehicle cleaning purposes. I have read about the "cleaning unit" calculations (Flow X PSI) and the preferred range for vehicles. However, the articles I have read about Cleaning Units didn't necessarily hit upon the recommended upper PSI limits, especially when using specific orifices to adjust the output. Logically speaking there has to be an upper limit. Obviously, the lower you go, the safer it is, but the less effective it is going to be, which ends up being a fruitless endeavor. One of your statements is a perfect example of the great variation in responses related to this topic. You mentioned that you don't think that 1000 PSI is very effective for cleaning. However, I've also heard that some people like to dial in as close to 1000 PSI as they can, which is their preferred pressure setting. Trust me, if using a size 2 orifice, which gives me a 1440 PSI using the Ryobi 1800 / 1.2 GPM PW, is safe, I'd use that all day long and not worry about it. However, there is the other side of the argument, which might explain why some like to use the lower PSI, despite it not being as effective in initially spraying off the caked on grime, which is flow rate. I've heard some say that GPM flow rate is the more important measure, but that doesn't exactly sound like the best theory as well. With a higher GPM I might be able to push the water and loose dirt off the car quicker, but if much of the dirt hasn't yet been "unstuck" then that's somewhat of wasted effort.

With that said, here are some example numbers: By using a size 3 orifice with the PW referenced above, I would get a 2.01 GPM flow rate, but only 640 PSI. In contrast, if using the size 2 orifice, the flow rate drops to 1.34 but the PSI is sitting at 1440. Or, one could split the difference and go with the 2.5 orifice, where the flow rate is 1.68 and the PSI is 922. Now obviously, the pressures drops as flow rate increases and vice versa. My initial personal thought is like yours, in that I'd rather a higher PSI to really remove the tough grime from the paint/wheels, etc. than more flow that just pushes things around. However, I don't want to push it too far with the PSI hitting the mysterious safe "upper limit", which is why I posed the initial question. There are too many pressure washer threads to comb through. I've dug into a few, without actually finding someone specifically discussing what I'm asking about. I may be blind however, and skimmed right over it, which is probably the case Ha.
    My fault. After reading some more, I made an error with my numbers. Apparently, the PW flow rate doesn't change and the PSI output is only affected by the orifice chosen. I mistakingly though that the flow rate would also be affected by the orifice as well. I saw OG's videos where Matt was testing the output. He likes 1000 output PSI for safety, but whether or not that is accurate reasoning is up in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah. I meant to add that I’m asking about PSI limits in typical everyday use scenarios. I’m sure I could use 7000 PSI when standing 25 feet away, but that’s crazy talk. Ha. Also, I’ve seen random articles suggesting nothing really over 2000 PSI output , but I wanted to hear what those on the forum had to say. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Yeah the hurting hand test is that if don't hurt your hand you will not hurt the paint. No scientific behind it just an easy way to be ultra safe on not damage the paint.

I have read somewhere that you have a high limit of 2000-2200psi when useing it for cars. Since you was wondering about a 1800psi and 1.2gpm specs PW. I thought it was about electric PW you mostly wondering about. I have a little different situation since the electric outlets as standard is 240v. And that makes so the electric motor is able to be more powerfull. I have a Kärcher K7 PW that has the specs 2600psi 2.6gpm. The pressure from the nozzle tip is 2250psi. I use the original wand on it since I can set the pressure on the spray gun handle from 600psi-2250psi. Mostly uses it on full pressure setting. I have the nozzle tip about a feet away of the car, on some dirt I move a couple of inches closer to the paint. I use a foamcannon with a prewash foam to loosen up most of the dirt. And it's gets cleaner than if I don't use the foam. The results is in the rinse bucket after a wash when you see it's almost clean.

I don't think that the gpm increase when you lower the psi with larger nozzle orifice. Maybe a little but not that much you mentioned. That's why I think a PW with a 1.2gpm is too little with a 1000psi. Kränzle and Sunjoe 9004 has 2.0gpm with a 1400psi. I have seen some PW with 1800psi and 1.6 or 1.7 gpm but then it's need to be on a 20amp fuse. So you have very little room of the psi vs gpm from the electric PWs. But if you put on a too small nozzle orifice tip you can get a higher psi than the PW electric motor can handle. Obsessed Garage has a Youtube chanel where he testing a lot of different brands and modells of PW. He is pushing to around 1000psi. And sure on a PW with 2.0gpm it works but when you get under that IMO the cleaning ability is lowered to much. And the higher psi on a PW with lower than 2.0gpm is not going to hurt the paint if you are not careless and hold the nozzle tip to close to the car. IMO it's easier to just hold the nozzle tip farther away from the car than messing with changing the psi with different nozzle orifices. When you go up to bigger gas PW or industrial PW with 3000psi-5000psi then you can and need to be have the right nozzle orifice tip so get somewhere between 2000psi-2500psi. And that has much to do with that you have a lot more of gpm from them too. Then I would be very carefull with a higher specs electric PW to switch the orifice to 1.1mm in the foamcannon. As that often does so the psi goes up and over the max rated psi. Have seen some even switch to the 1.1mm orifice in the foamcannon when useing a gas PW. Would be interesting to see the psi and workload it gets when they are doing that.

The most important with a electric PW is to not use the 0 degree nozzle tip and the turbo nozzle tip on vehicals. Otherwise you are safe with useing the oem psi on an electric PW with the wider degree nozzle tips and not have the nozzle tip too close to the vehical.

4. Thanks Fenwayfan77 thanked for this post
    Likes Fenwayfan77 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Thanks. I appreciate the write-up! I found OG's videos after my first post on the topic. Ha. My incorrect assumption based on the GPM changing was due to me misinterpreting a calculator I found online. It was correct, but I made too many assumptions when reading the data. I think I might try out the Ryobi 1800 / 1.2 for now and update the wand/hose, etc. along with the cannon. If I want to upgrade the PW later, I can sell it and keep the upgrades and adapt them to the new one. I don't want to buy too pricey of a PW at this point without giving the Ryobi a shot first. Thanks again!

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Thanks. I appreciate the write-up! I found OG's videos after my first post on the topic. Ha. My incorrect assumption based on the GPM changing was due to me misinterpreting a calculator I found online. It was correct, but I made too many assumptions when reading the data. I think I might try out the Ryobi 1800 / 1.2 for now and update the wand/hose, etc. along with the cannon. If I want to upgrade the PW later, I can sell it and keep the upgrades and adapt them to the new one. I don't want to buy too pricey of a PW at this point without giving the Ryobi a shot first. Thanks again!
    It's great to use the stock setup at first so you get a feel of the PW. Then if you upgrade to new handle and wand and nozzle tip with a bigger orifice. You will notice if the cleaning ability is acceptable for you. Otherwise the old may fit if it's the standard QC on the Ryobi. The foamcannon if you get one. Get a 1.1mm orifice directly and switch out the standard 1.25mm orifice in the foamcannon. Try with the standard first but with a smaller orifice in the foamcannon you will get a thicker foam and use less product too. Then after testing switch to the 1.1mm orifice and you can have foam party LOL.

/ Tony

8. Thanks Fenwayfan77 thanked for this post
    Likes Fenwayfan77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was unable to make a decision regarding what I wanted to do for a pressure washer until I saw this thread, then it all made sense.
    I got a $109 Ryobi (1600/1.2) from Home Depot and ordered this kit from MTM Hydro:
    Premium MTM Kit 3 - 50' 4,000 PSI #43.5010 – MTM Hydro Parts
    The pressure washer works great and I don't really need to worry about damage to the cars with 1,600psi, yet it was able to clean a bluestone walkway and some trim on my house. The foam cannon worked well, I'm not sure if there's massive benefit but it certainly doesn't hurt and it looks super cool.
    And if the Ryobi ever breaks, I won't have too much heartburn about replacing it for $100 while getting lifetime use out of the MTM Hydro stuff.

10. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice thing with the Ryobi is it's got a 3 year warranty - even if it breaks, I figure it's worth $37/year to have a pressure washer. (And to not deal with fuel/oil etc; easy to just bring into the basement in the winter to keep it away from freezing temps)

Use mine with the BOSS foam cannon and their Foaming Surface Wash and Foaming Poly Gloss - works great.

Also does just fine getting stuff done around the house. Used the turbo nozzle to blast paint off a deck to be done - worked better than any other approach I'd tried. Be careful though, that turbo nozzle means business up close...

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Nice thing with the Ryobi is it's got a 3 year warranty - even if it breaks, I figure it's worth $37/year to have a pressure washer. (And to not deal with fuel/oil etc; easy to just bring into the basement in the winter to keep it away from freezing temps)

Use mine with the BOSS foam cannon and their Foaming Surface Wash and Foaming Poly Gloss - works great.

Also does just fine getting stuff done around the house. Used the turbo nozzle to blast paint off a deck to be done - worked better than any other approach I'd tried. Be careful though, that turbo nozzle means business up close...
    What’s your ryobi’s gpm? Thinking of getting boss system myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It’s the little one. 1600psi, 1.2 GPM. Stock hose and wand.

It’s not blowing 3” deep foam, but it puts out foam thick enough to work (for me) just like it’s described to. Drops all the grit off making for safe washing. I’ve had a bad habit of letting the cars go too long between washings (stupid life getting in the way); with the BOSS system there’s noticeably less dirt in the (single) bucket when washing than there would have been.

Still have been meaning to get that 30ft Ryobi hose...

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    I was unable to make a decision regarding what I wanted to do for a pressure washer until I saw this thread, then it all made sense.
    I got a $109 Ryobi (1600/1.2) from Home Depot and ordered this kit from MTM Hydro:
    Premium MTM Kit 3 - 50' 4,000 PSI #43.5010 – MTM Hydro Parts
    The pressure washer works great and I don't really need to worry about damage to the cars with 1,600psi, yet it was able to clean a bluestone walkway and some trim on my house. The foam cannon worked well, I'm not sure if there's massive benefit but it certainly doesn't hurt and it looks super cool.
    And if the Ryobi ever breaks, I won't have too much heartburn about replacing it for $100 while getting lifetime use out of the MTM Hydro stuff.
    Great find. I will be getting this setup since i already have the ryobi

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314