autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Porter Cable 7424XP

I'm looking at the PC 7424XP for waxing because hand waxing is getting too painful due to a shoulder problem. I have two cars and I wax them them each about three times a year using Turtle Wax paste.

I'm getting a bit confused in determining what I need to purchase pad-wise for putting the wax on and taking it off and could use some suggestions in what to purchase.

Thanks for your help,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Porter Cable 7424XP

The porter cable will do much more than just put on wax. It is a great tool that will take out paint swirl marks and other paint defects. Check out mike Phillips how to videos. I think that he has one specifically for the porter cable 7424xp. You will want to get a proper back plate a couple of orange pads and one fine finish pad. I like the medium blue one. Try the hd speed all in one, I love it. The Rupes Uhs is likewise a terrific product. You will want to get a Rupes Uhs specific pad as well. You can put your favorite wax on top of it. There are lots of choices, I find the chemical guys better butter wax to go and come off easy and has decent durability It is a slippery slope. I started with a porter cable 7424, then got a 7424xp, then added a Rupes 21 and then added a Flex 3401. They are all great. Doing the paint correction with your new polisher will change your life! You won't look at any car's paint the same again. Check out dome of the package deals that Autogeekonline offers. You can get all that you need.p, polisher pads and product. They also have great customer service. They will happily answer any of your questions, plus there is a great sale going on this weekend! All the best. Phil

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3" lake country backing plate with the 3" red waxing pads from Griots on speed 3-4 for application, and the cobra supreme 530 for removal. Do one section at a time and then buffing off.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP FREE BONUS

Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Combo Free Bonus!

Either of these packages would be great. you may not get a discount on the polisher but you should get one on the other items. Good luck. And you get your choice of some of mike Phillips how to guides. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    Wolfgang Duo & Porter Cable 7424XP FREE BONUS

Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher Combo Free Bonus!

Either of these packages would be great. you may not get a discount on the polisher but you should get one on the other items. Good luck. And you get your choice of some of mike Phillips how to guides. Phil
    Would you consider the Flex head and shoulders above the PC? I have owned the PC 7336 for 20 years and am considering a used Flex PE

Post Thanks / Like

I haven used the flex pe. The flex 3401 is strong and fast. I really love it. I like the Rupes too. I find the the Rupes bogs down on complex curves and side panels. Some will say it is technique. I am not so sure. It is great on large flat panels. Case in point, the rear quarter panels on my 993 porsche. I just have a hard time works those inside curves with the Rupes not so with the flex or the porter cable.the porter cable is a great machine. It has served me well. I just got this polidhing addiction and all of a sudden found my garage full of polishers pads and gallons of incredible polishing products. �� Phil
    Last edited by lj993; 05-28-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added input

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    I haven used the flex pe. The flex 3401 is strong and fast. I really love it. I like the Rupes too. I find the the Rupes bogs down on complex curves and side panels. Some will say it is technique. I am not so sure. It is great on large flat panels. Case in point, the rear quarter panels on my 993 porsche. I just have a hard time works those inside curves with the Rupes not so with the flex or the porter cable.the porter cable is a great machine. It has served me well. I just got this polidhing addiction and all of a sudden found my garage full of polishers pads and gallons of incredible polishing products. �� Phil
    On my 911, the PC works just fine but with technology marching on I thought I should move on to something better or more effective, but I am okay with holding onto my PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    On my 911, the PC works just fine but with technology marching on I thought I should move on to something better or more effective, but I am okay with holding onto my PC.
    I do a lot of work with the PC 7424. The reality is that a pad is spinning against paint in some way. With the developments in pad/product technology, there isn't much that even the 1st gen tool can't do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - Lot of good info. I see that most pads are either for putting wax/polish on and for final buffing. What can i use for removing a paste wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen82 View Post
    Thanks - Lot of good info. I see that most pads are either for putting wax/polish on and for final buffing. What can i use for removing a paste wax?
    Probably some here can better describe the exact pieces needed to then turn the PC7424 into a wax removal machine-tool.

But I believe one then uses the cheapo permanently applied cheapo white foam pad and backing plate that comes with these machines, and then uses the appropriately sized slip on MF Bonnets for use with wax removal.

Yes, it will mean swapping out backing plates to do such unless one can then just use the right sized larger foam LC 6.5" Pad with the 5" backing plate? Others should know, and can say what works for them.

To remove, or even to apply wax, one does not need to use speed 5 or 6 with the PC Machine, that speed 3 or 4 will be just fine.

Or use a cheap Craftsman Orbital Waxer, and the proper sized Bonnets. These work great for such, and saves a lot of work, especially with more difficult to remove pastes.

I believe there is a multitude of such different sized Bonnets sold here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast