autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts about conservative approach i took to start polishing / sealing 2016 black 4runner

okay.. so im into the wg line of products.. just like the performance / results and imo the hard to make a mistake with the line..well worth $$.

2016 black metallic 4runners swirled out
    flex3401 with force hybrid pads
    wg UC
    wg TSR
    wg finishing glaze
    wg dgps
    wg perfekt finish paint prep (pfpp)
    ps21 carnuba

did decon: wash, ironx, then nanaskin rub down.. buttery smooth paint afterwards.

after doing a test spot with finishing glaze..still have too many swirls for my preference.

went to the TSR and got the finish i was looking for..still have some swirls but eyeballing 80 % corrrection.

then went to finishing glaze polish

then cleaned with pfpp

then applied dgps

then topped with ps21 following 12 hour cure

i still have some remnants of swirls..but i really have to look for them.. eyeballing from foot away and the paint looks near flawless

i could have done UC to improve the correction but figured.. its soft paint. itll swirl even with me handwashing based on other readers postings about this model/ paint code..(thank you OP of that thread..this was very helpful with me deciding to sidestep UC immediately)..

figured i am getting the correction which makes the paint get into top 1% of paint condition for a DD..

conserving Clearcoat

better to save the clearcoat required for a UC process several years down the road...as i tend to keep my cars for well past a decade...

thoughts about this conservative correction process??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts about conservative approach i took to start polishing / sealing 2016 black 4runner

Sounds fine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts about conservative approach i took to start polishing / sealing 2016 black 4runner

Keeping it simple and going at the finish lightly. A winning combination.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any issues with getting them all out or at least attempt to make 100% perfect at least once. Then maintain the paint as best as possible during maintenance washing. I would save the conservative corrections for annual details or if needed.

But what you did is fine too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    I don't see any issues with getting them all out or at least attempt to make 100% perfect at least once. Then maintain the paint as best as possible during maintenance washing. I would save the conservative corrections for annual details or if needed.

But what you did is fine too.
    agreed.. maybe what i didn't convey well in my posting was that im looking to save that portion of clearcoat for UC compounding several years down the line, where there will be more wear/ tear/ swirls and scratches in the paint..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toolhead View Post
    *snip*

better to save the clearcoat required for a UC process several years down the road...as i tend to keep my cars for well past a decade...

thoughts about this conservative correction process??
    You statement right there, shows your doing it right. For a daily driver, I don't think it's worth pursuing a 100% solution and it's better to keep the long term future in mind.

If you're careful, you may never need to use a compound on anything other than a few really bad spots life might throw your way. I only use a mild compound/swirl remover on one of my cars, but that is simply because the paint is so hard a finishing polish won't work. The rest all get a finishing polish as a paint refresh. No need for agressive finishing of the paint.

One thing you might try the next time around is a slightly more aggressive pad with the Finishing Glaze. It might not offer any difference from your current approach, but you never know.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You statement right there, shows your doing it right. For a daily driver, I don't think it's worth pursuing a 100% solution and it's better to keep the long term future in mind.

If you're careful, you may never need to use a compound on anything other than a few really bad spots life might throw your way. I only use a mild compound/swirl remover on one of my cars, but that is simply because the paint is so hard a finishing polish won't work. The rest all get a finishing polish as a paint refresh. No need for agressive finishing of the paint.

One thing you might try the next time around is a slightly more aggressive pad with the Finishing Glaze. It might not offer any difference from your current approach, but you never know.
    thanks.. i went with orange for TSR and then White with Finishing Glaze.. were you suggesting something diff..

i wanted to jewel the paint as much as possible for the finishing glaze so i went with the white pad for the final polish..

Post Thanks / Like

Something to try out might be either the TSR on white or Finishing glaze on orange. Either one might yield the results you're after in a single step with that approach.

I don't know how the paint's compare, but I can easily correct my wife's 2013 Highlander with crimson pearl using nothing but a white flat pad and Meguiars Ultimate Polish. The paint is really soft and I'm able to get it gleaming in a single polishing step.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog