autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Final coating questions - Gyeon Mohs

This weekend I'll be tackling my car and applying Gyeon Mohs. I have a few quick final questions. As for application on the Gyeon, it states to "put a thick layer of coating on." What would be considered thick? From most of my research only a few drops seem to be needed to get started with most coatings. Also I know the car will need a full decon and polish. If a certain spot may not be able to be polished to full perfection and some minor defects are present, is there any adverse affect to applying the coating or is it just the fact that the defect will be "locked in" by the coating. I generally polish on the side of caution and if my most aggressive available option doesn't fully remove it I will stop there. For my final question would be for those that have used this coating how long to wait into applying a second coat if this a viable option to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Final coating questions - Gyeon Mohs

Excellent choice there.

I wouldn't take that "thick layer" recommendation to heart. If you use the supplied coating block applicator and the suede microfiber sheets, just put a thin line of coating across the suede. I don't have a picture myself, but either a thin line across the suede or something like this:
    Final coating questions - Gyeon Mohs-apply-cquartz-3-drops-jpg

By applying this to a 2x2 foot section (you can get away with larger sections) and applying in criss-cross patterns, you will get a good distribution of the product that you eventually spread with a mf towel and then buff again. The problem with "thick" applications is that most of it is wiped or buffed away -- a wasted amount. If you want thicker coating, apply a second or third layer.

Yes: decontaminate, compound (if needed) and polish.

A big important step that I'm sure you are aware of (but didn't mention) is the prep before the coating. Personally, I think Gyeon Prep stinks. I think Gtechniq Panel Wipe is WAY better. I also like Wolfgang Prep. You need a surface devoid of any polishing oils or anything that would stand between the coating and the clear coat.

You can apply coatings over swirls and water spots. It just sticks out like a sore thumb sometimes!

I'd wait about an hour between applications/layers, unless you're going to bake the coating -- 15 minutes between applications.

EDIT: BTW, pay close attention to your first few panels. Given the humidity and temperature, that Mohs can flash quickly and leave a high spot that you won't get out without polishing.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed response. I am aware of the prep after polishing. I have the Gyeon prep and also carpro eraser.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good application video from the Autogeek YouTube channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    This weekend I'll be tackling my car and applying Gyeon Mohs. I have a few quick final questions. As for application on the Gyeon, it states to "put a thick layer of coating on." What would be considered thick? From most of my research only a few drops seem to be needed to get started with most coatings. Also I know the car will need a full decon and polish. If a certain spot may not be able to be polished to full perfection and some minor defects are present, is there any adverse affect to applying the coating or is it just the fact that the defect will be "locked in" by the coating. I generally polish on the side of caution and if my most aggressive available option doesn't fully remove it I will stop there. For my final question would be for those that have used this coating how long to wait into applying a second coat if this a viable option to do.
    I personally find gyeon a pita to work with.Tried the coating to tacky .If your not super careful high spots .Boyds true coat is a nice coating but never gets mentioned on here.Deep gloss and thick and a pleasure to work with.Had it on my last car and i would tunnel wash it every now and then.The hydrophobic was very strong and didn't degrade a fast without any booster applied.

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot to ask. Once the applicator is initially primed how much do you normally add to the applicator afterwards, just a drop or two? Also how often should the applicator be changed out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    I also forgot to ask. Once the applicator is initially primed how much do you normally add to the applicator afterwards, just a drop or two? Also how often should the applicator be changed out?
    about every time just like the picture I showed...

You have to be careful. The suede mf isn't "primed" like a polishing pad is. If you don't move those little suede mf out of the rotation, I've seen small glass crystals at points.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

How many suede pads do you get with the kit?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Detailed Image has a good write up. Search the blog area.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    How many suede pads do you get with the kit?

Tom
    Looks like 3-4 based on the photo.

Post Thanks / Like

So I got a late start today and still have some more polishing to do tomorrow. My question is what should I use to wipe any dust off the already buffed panels before I do my prep wipe down? My garage gets a little dusty. Would Kentokek Showroom Shine be ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast