autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The baggie test---afterwards

Got a question---Is it normal to feel bumps in the paint after doing a 3 step compound/polish a couple of months later?

Car looks super great---smooth as glass with a jeweled look. Took a baggie test last night before going to a car club meeting in preparation for a presentation---Bumps!

Now, the paint is bumpy-like. Not smooth but not sharp like sandpaper. Rough with smooth bumps in paint. Is this right?

I wash on weekly basis using ONR and couple of 2 buckets as well at other times.

Just occurred to me last night that I've not seen any discussions re baggie test after polishing the car!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

The baggie test---afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Got a question---Is it normal to feel bumps in the paint after doing a 3 step compound/polish a couple of months later?

Car looks super great---smooth as glass with a jeweled look. Took a baggie test last night before going to a car club meeting in preparation for a presentation---Bumps!

Now, the paint is bumpy-like. Not smooth but not sharp like sandpaper. Rough with smooth bumps in paint. Is this right?

I wash on weekly basis using ONR and couple of 2 buckets as well at other times.

Just occurred to me last night that I've not seen any discussions re baggie test after polishing the car!

Tom
    Some people think I'm too harsh or expect too much... But I don't think so. IMO if it's only been 2 months since you fully clayed/polished/protected the paint and it's already begun to fail the baggie test, that's a clear indicator that whatever was used as lsp doesn't do a good job as far as protection. And I don't care if it's beading or not, because a simple spray wax after a weekly wash can maintain beading for as long as someone continues to do it, but it doesn't exactly mean a coat of protection has somehow lasted 6-8 weeks, months, or whatever they claim... The way I see it your coat of lsp has only lasted as long as it can continue to pass the baggie test and remain totally smooth.

Remember, wiping off rough paint isn't quite as nice as it should be [it should be smooth paint you're wiping down] and you can pretty much make anything bead with a quik spray wax.

Quik detailing/waterless washing/drying/or just about any form of touching of paint that isn't smooth is more likely to wind up instilling swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The baggie test---afterwards

I have the Rupes P808 sealant on the car. Should be good to go.

I'm wondering if maybe I didn't "clay" the car enough. But I would think after a compound and polish---that alone should have taken out the remaining
    contaminates.

Am I wrong thinking this...?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Just occurred to me last night that I've
    not seen any discussions re baggie test
    after polishing the car!
    There has been the occasional discussion
    where "the baggie test" has actually been
    performed directly after the completion of
    the correction process(es), and before the
    application of an LSP.

The results have been a mixed bag---often
    representative of the many issues that can
    be attributed to the painting process itself.

For your specific issue I'll suggest to take
    the time to redo "the baggie test" after all
    the paint prep (pre-LSP) steps have, once
    again, been completed.

Any area(s) that "don't feel right" can
    be immediately addressed without the
    interference of LSPs. Hard to diagnose
    otherwise, IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob.

Will try a couple things and see where it leads to.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Good question, Tom. Your question seems to be "did I effectively clay 2-3 months ago?" or "did I accumulate some above surface contaminants since last done?" (I think and correct me if I'm wrong).

I always do another baggie test after I clay. Every time. That confirms I've done an effective removal. I also know that I accumulate surface crap in 2-3 months time.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you park near an industrial area or near train lines as contamination comes from usually man made items like lorry exhaust as well. I live near train lines and work at a factory so could easily clay my car once a month

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah 2-3 months easy to have contaminates on paint. For me it is. I don't know if I can go a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Some people think I'm too harsh or expect too much... But I don't think so. IMO if it's only been 2 months since you fully clayed/polished/protected the paint and it's already begun to fail the baggie test, that's a clear indicator that whatever was used as lsp doesn't do a good job as far as protection. And I don't care if it's beading or not, because a simple spray wax after a weekly wash can maintain beading for as long as someone continues to do it, but it doesn't exactly mean a coat of protection has somehow lasted 6-8 weeks, months, or whatever they claim... The way I see it your coat of lsp has only lasted as long as it can continue to pass the baggie test and remain totally smooth.

Remember, wiping off rough paint isn't quite as nice as it should be [it should be smooth paint you're wiping down] and you can pretty much make anything bead with a quik spray wax.

Quik detailing/waterless washing/drying/or just about any form of touching of paint that isn't smooth is more likely to wind up instilling swirls.
    Eldorado - What was the LSP you were using that had the best longevity for a clean baggie test?

Am I remembering correctly that you were using something that held up well, but then gave into the gotta-try-'m-all bug that goes around here? Since then I know I've seen your posts where some LSPs accumulate a fairly sizable amount of contaminants pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast