autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pad Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Pad Cleaning

Hello everyone. I had been using Pinnacle 360 on my customers cars and my own and loved it. It got replaced with McKee's 37 360. I have no doubts about the product quality. I've seen first hand that the protection lasts for a long time. But I have one issue. I can't get it out of the pads. I've tried pad cleaning soap, Wolfgang polishing pad cleaner, Dawn etc. Anyone know of anything that works? If not I'll have to go to another all in one.
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Cleaning

Never used 360, but I do use FK1000p one of the most difficult LSPs to remove from pads. I've had good results by soaking the pads in HD MF Towel cleaner for an hour or so then cleaning the pads with Awesome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar Store.

Post Thanks / Like

Same issue for me. That pink tinge remains. I don't question the multiple pad cleaners I have because they are probably at least as good as Dawn but 360, at least the dye color remains.

I also cannot seem to get paste wax (any brand, any type pad) out of my pads, too. I'm using cheap pads for paste wax now.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 360 Has a pink color and provides an EXTREMELY robust sealant. It is stronger than some dedicated paint sealants out there!

Like Mike Phillips says "If Its easy to remove the wax/sealant from your pad then its easy to remove the protection from your paint"

No pad cleaner is going to remove 360, It is not a "stain" It is the sealant.

However If you use a AIO on 1 pad that pad should now be a designated AIO pad due to the wax/sealant content that is in that pad. Any Quality AIO that you use on your pad the sealant/wax will linger in the pad no matter what color it is. It just might not be visible to the eye.

The "stain" is not going to alter polishing performance whats so ever. Like I said above if you used any AIO for that matter it is wise to dedicate that pad as a AIO pad. If you are doing a multi-step correction its not wise to use that pad due to the wax/sealant that it provides.

when you get a chance read this article I wrote on cleaning pad: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...er-review.html

Do not go to extreme measures to remove that "stain" as you will only be degrading the life span of that pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy 3D's Orange Degreaser or 3D Towel Kleen. Both are incredibly effective. (Towel kleen seems to be a bit better on sealants but orange degreaser won't choke you up like Towel Kleen will)

Dilute either product 4:1 in a spray bottle

Spray the pads you used for the AIO

Allow product to sit for 15-20 minutes

Put on gloves, Spray a bit more and massage pad (I prefer massaging against side of sink)

Rinse with warm/hot water (if it's too hot to hold your hands under it's too hot for the foam and adhesive backing

Wrap a dry clean (cheap) microfiber towel around the pad and squeeze any remaining sealant into the towel.

If when you squeeze the pad you get a ton of sealant in the towel, just repeat the process. (I typically only have to do it once)

The goal is to get the product out of the pad. While The product is difficult to remove, The pink stain is impossible or at the very least unnecessary to remove. The stain will not affect the performance at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    McKee's 360 Has a pink color and provides an EXTREMELY robust sealant. It is stronger than some dedicated paint sealants out there!

Like Mike Phillips says "If Its easy to remove the wax/sealant from your pad then its easy to remove the protection from your paint"

No pad cleaner is going to remove 360, It is not a "stain" It is the sealant.

However If you use a AIO on 1 pad that pad should now be a designated AIO pad due to the wax/sealant content that is in that pad. Any Quality AIO that you use on your pad the sealant/wax will linger in the pad no matter what color it is. It just might not be visible to the eye.

The "stain" is not going to alter polishing performance whats so ever. Like I said above if you used any AIO for that matter it is wise to dedicate that pad as a AIO pad. If you are doing a multi-step correction its not wise to use that pad due to the wax/sealant that it provides.

when you get a chance read this article I wrote on cleaning pad: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...er-review.html

Do not go to extreme measures to remove that "stain" as you will only be degrading the life span of that pad.
    Very good information. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone. Good ideas and I will give them a try! I'm not concerned about the stain. Just want to get the gooey sealant/soap mixture out of the pad. I always keep the AIO pads dedicated. Thanks again.
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

If the AIO pads are washed and "cleaned", can I use them safely as polishing pads? I don't have that many white (rupes) pads on hand!

Tom