autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers foaming wheel and tore cleaner on aluminum ??

I know there have a different line specifically for aluminum rims is this just marketing cause I prefer to get the foaming one will it be ok to use ? and it's available locally .. thx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers foaming wheel and tore cleaner on aluminum ??

Are your Aluminum Wheels clear coated or non-clear coated? The Mother's Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner is not recommended for Polished or Roughcast Aluminum, Billet or Anodized Wheels. The Mother's Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner is designed especially for modern clear coated wheels.
    Mothers Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

No idea I'll post a pic

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

As Bobby mentioned, we make 3 different wheel cleaners. One for chrome plated, one for polished (bare) aluminum, and one for factory finish painted/coated.

Knowing the finish of your rims is necessary to selecting the proper cleaner. Posting a pic and make/model of your vehicle would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pics

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

The Lexus' lack of gloss indicates there may already be finish damage. The Cadillac rim has several areas where bare aluminum is showing.

Based on that, I'd suggest our 06024 Polshed Aluminum Wheel Cleaner. It's our safest wheel cleaner product.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple things that Forrest and I want to point out (Forrest is traveling today and asked me to jump online).

The Lexus wheel is what we'd simply call a coated wheel -- coated with a silver paint, and certainly clearcoated (at least the factory spec would likely have been). It appears to have been refinished as indicated by some peeling of silver paint. Refinishing is often done during a "certified used" process, but the quality varies greatly depending on brand of vehicle. It can also be done at the dealer or owner level. With a refinished wheel, the durability is often not on par with OEM specs. A strong cleaner may clean a bit too well on a finish that is not up to standards, and either may stain that finish or possibly even cause a bit more peeling. This peeling we see here will certainly get worse over time regardless of any wheel cleaner being used.

The Cadillac wheel is what is often called a "polished aluminum" wheel, and it is factory coated (all OEM "polished aluminum" wheels are coated with a clear). As Forrest mentioned, it appears to have lost some clearcoat which is exposing bare aluminum (though it could be bad water spotting). Addressing missing clearcoat gets a little tricky as the bare aluminum will oxidize and may need polishing with a metal polish like our Mag & Aluminum Polish. It also has some corrosion under the clearcoat as indicated by those bumpy spider-veiny areas, and those will require sanding (which will remove the clearcoat) and a multi-step finishing and polishing process.

While in their current condition, a wheel cleaner really won't benefit the wheels, though both wheels look like they could stand some general finish polishing to bring up the luster. A great multipurpose product like our California Gold Scratch Remover should remove any light scratches and oxidation (even on the bare alloy; use a metal polish if it doesn't). Follow with a good wax, like our California Gold Synthetic Wax for protection.

All too often we don't care for our wheels as we should. Routine washing and waxing is a great way to prevent conditions like we see here, though years and miles eventually catch up to any wheel. I like to recommend using a spray wax as you dry on the body panels, but also finish with the door jambs and finally the wheels.

If you need a wheel cleaner, use it; if you don't, don't.

If you have specialty wheels with a matte finish, exotic finish (like anodized), or if you have brake components with such finishes, use car wash to avoid problems. Even though these were originally glossy finishes and our Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner would have provided excellent results when these wheels were newer, in their present condition that could prove to be an error.

So again, the 06024 Polished Aluminum Wheel Cleaner would be a better choice if you do need a wheel cleaner -- but as shown here, they really aren't dirty.

Let us know if you need more assistance or clarification.
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking at the photos again... the tires could indeed benefit from a good cleaner, and you might try our Back-to-Black Tire Renew tire cleaner -- spray and wipe -- it's a great product and Autogeek stocks it. Follow with your favorite tire shine, dressing or protectant.
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com