autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Chrome Alloy Wheel repair

Does anyone have any recommendation on repairing CA wheel? The car is a 2014 MDX. The weird thing about these rims is that the interior of each fork is metal flake and the outer sections of the fork including the outer rim of the wheel is filled with lines but no metal flake, sort of a two tone effect. So, I don't think there will be any sanding and painting it like if it was a solid color, and I definitely do not want to paint the whole wheel. Each of the 4 wheels have this road rash, I guess the previous owner did not know how to stay away from curbs. I will be having a pro look at it locally within next week or two but was hoping to take care of this on my own.

Thanks,
    Ron

Chrome Alloy Wheel repair-img_0412-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chrome Alloy Wheel repair

Your wheels are not chrome alloy. They are gunmetal paint (inner spokes) with a machined face.

A repair to a machined wheel must be done on a lathe to shave a very minute layer off the face.

Check out youtube for plenty of videos on the process. Machined wheel lathe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Your wheels are not chrome alloy. They are gunmetal paint (inner spokes) with a machined face.

A repair to a machined wheel must be done on a lathe to shave a very minute layer off the face.

Check out youtube for plenty of videos on the process. Machined wheel lathe.
    Thank you for the info. I always assumed Chrome Alloy because that is what was on the invoice sticker, and all of the sales info with regard to the Tech package.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendation on repairing CA wheel? The car is a 2014 MDX. The weird thing about these rims is that the interior of each fork is metal flake and the outer sections of the fork including the outer rim of the wheel is filled with lines but no metal flake, sort of a two tone effect. So, I don't think there will be any sanding and painting it like if it was a solid color, and I definitely do not want to paint the whole wheel. Each of the 4 wheels have this road rash, I guess the previous owner did not know how to stay away from curbs. I will be having a pro look at it locally within next week or two but was hoping to take care of this on my own.

Thanks,
    Ron

Chrome Alloy Wheel repair-img_0412-jpg
    Here the outcome of pros. They don't last long repair wise. That. Service complements dealers. I would buy aftermarket rims.figure 250 a wheel not to mention all the overspray you will inherit. But. Thats my opinion. Maybe have him fix one and see the results. And longevity of the repair.