autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing paint with minor imperfections

I have a dark blue 2011 Lexus IS with a minor amount of weird anomalies on the hood, and I can't polish them out by hand for some reason. They're almost like below the clearcoat if you will. You can't feel them with your fingertips so I'm kind of confused as to what to do. I've heard that not only is Lexus paint soft, but that I may still have a car that's painted from the factory in a two step, "non clear coat" type of paint job so I'm not too keen on any of what most people call "polishing". Already gun shy by this yahoo that attempted to buff my headlights and burned through my paint right there at the body panels edge by the headlight.

So in your guys' opinion, what should I use to clean up my paint? I'm ok with a few swirls left over that I need wax to hide, in a trade for thicker paint lol. I'm considering a pre wax cleaner, or a cleaner wax. Would any of these take out minor imperfections? And, is there anything I could use by hand to do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing paint with minor imperfections

Trying to remove swirls by hand is almost impossible. I use a dual action buffer for 99% of waxing and polishing I do. Do you have some kind of surface you can practice on so you can conquer being "gun shy"? Do you have a DA polisher?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've only my hand for now, and actually... I think I can get a practice car. What's the cheapest DA? I think when I looked up the recommended models porter cable came out the cheapest. Is that right?
    Here's a semi decent pic of an example of the anomaly. From this photo it looks clear enough so that if you were to back away it wouldn't be noticeable but it is. It's actually a touch cloudier than this photo lets on. It looks like something dried on it and you could polish it out by hand but you can't. When you run your nail over it it's as smooth as the paint, as if it were under the clear coat. (if I have a clear coat that is lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my file upload keeps failing. Anyone have another way to upload a pic to this site?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    Trying to remove swirls by hand is almost impossible. I use a dual action buffer for 99% of waxing and polishing I do. Do you have some kind of surface you can practice on so you can conquer being "gun shy"? Do you have a DA polisher?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    On post 3 of this thread https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ack-paint.html they talk about hand polishing. If it works there, can it work on my car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddiiee View Post
    On post 3 of this thread https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ack-paint.html they talk about hand polishing. If it works there, can it work on my car?
    Almost impossible but still doable. One will not know until trying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd grab a quality Meguiar's Shampoo, Clay Bar Kit, and Cleaner Wax. No way I'd want to hand polish an entire car.

Heck even one of those 6" wax spreader orbital buffers would be better than working by hand.