autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to upgrade from a PC

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Whats the consensus on something more budget friendly like the MT300 or 10FX? Worthwhile upgrade from the PC or not?

For reference, I do around 2 or 3 cars a week.

The MT300 doesn't seem to get much love. I have it and love it. My PC has been "promoted" for damp sanding use, while my GG6 was converted to 3" BP for smaller pads.

I don't do that many details or paint corrections.

Post Thanks / Like

I only do my own vehicles, but it was still worth the investment to me to buy a Flex. Cuts my polishing time in half, at least. The 7424 has been relegated to 3" pads, and works great with those.

Post Thanks / Like

Many would say that to upgrade from a PC you would need to go to a Mac. But they would be wrong! You need to go to a better PC

Sorry, could not help myself with this title Hehehe!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Although I understand your need to graduate from the PC, I'm not agreeing with the PC being "Loud, not particularly smooth, ......... and not ergonomic".
    Never used a PC but when I switched from the Meguiar's polisher to the Rupes Bigfoot 21 it felt like going from a jackhammer to an electic toothbrush in terms of noise, vibration and muscle fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm leaning more towards the 12 or 15 just because I've read they are a bit more versatile. Is it ok to use my current pads with the rupes? I have about 3 of each of the colors and don't want to invest in a whole new set of pads as well.

Whats your take on 12 vs 15? Is the 12 a little too similar to what I already have? Any appreciable difference in comfort or cutting power/speed between the two?
    I've only ever used the 21 a couple times, and the Duetto weekly.

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that when Rupes lowers the throw, they give the pad more rotation. The idea is that the friction sort of balances out. I couldn't tell much more correction with the 21 over the Duetto. The only difference was that the 21 was washer modded, and the Duetto was stock. Same pad, and same juice.

I have used the Duetto (modded) with my pads, and it worked fine. I prefer using Rupes pads and gels with their tools though.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you say this. Doing a car on monday with an orange ccs pad is what prompted me to look into a new polisher. I had no idea that pads made such a difference. I almost exclusively do 1 steps when someone asks me to do their car. What kind of pad would you recommend for that? Right now I'm using orange ccs for harder paints (flat orange has been out of stock locally for a while now) and flat white for softer paints.
    For one step with a medium polish it's usually Menzerna PF2500 on a blue Buff and Shine pad.

For Cleaner Wax, it's black Lake Country flats, or black Buff and Shine.

With the Rupes system it's UHS/Grey pad, or Keramik/Yellow microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found someone locally who is selling a lightly used rupes 21 for a great price because they're buying the mark 2. Any issues with the 21 on tight areas and curved panels? I'll likely be using it with a 5" backing plate for mostly light to medium correction work. Should I go for it? Then just put a 3" plate on the PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found someone locally who is selling a lightly used rupes 21 for a great price because they're buying the mark 2. Any issues with the 21 on tight areas and curved panels? I'll likely be using it with a 5" backing plate for mostly light to medium correction work. Should I go for it? Then just put a 3" plate on the PC?
    Go for it. I know several people who have used that Rupes 21 w/5" backing plate and they've always had great things to say about it for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep you will have some issues on curved panels even with the smaller 5" backplate and pads. But you can work around it and since you have a PC, using it on those problem panels is a good option. One thing you want to be careful about with the Bigfoot 21 is to buy pads designed for it. Many pads hook and loop material are not compatible with the system Rupes uses and if you use them, the machine can throw them across the room in the middle of a buffing pass. So either stick with Rupes pads or make sure the pads you buy are designed for Rupes polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Last question. When you guys say to put a 3" backing plate on the PC are you referring to using the 2 7/8" plate with 3" pads or the 3.5" plate with 4" pads? I think using 3" pads would be a bit more ideal if I want to use my PC as a dedicated tight spot polisher but the problem is that 3" pads are more difficult for me to find if I'm in a pinch and need to source one locally. Is 4" enough of a step down from 5.5" to justify a new set of pads?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast