autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to upgrade from a PC

I also upgraded from a Porter Cable and bought a Rupes Bigfoot LHR15ES last summer. It has been a great machine. The ergonomics are amazing and it is comfortable to use.
    It took a little while to get used to it. I bought some Lake county 5 in pads and they work well. Recently I bought some Rupes pads on a sale and have found out
    they work better. You will be very happy if you choose a Rupes product.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I still own love and use my PC! Even though I bought 2 Rupes polishes. Maybe if I were a pro detailer doing car after car I would have tossed out the PC. But it's so damn versitile. I only use LC flat pads with it and Megs MF cutting pads.

I do however prefer the Bigfoot for longer jobs for obvious reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the consensus on something more budget friendly like the MT300 or 10FX? Worthwhile upgrade from the PC or not?

For reference, I do around 2 or 3 cars a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 986DTM View Post
    Whats the consensus on something more budget friendly like the MT300 or 10FX? Worthwhile upgrade from the PC or not?

No, stick with the PC unless you go large throw.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, what are you waiting for? Invest in either of the 15/21mm long throw machines... Those 2-3 jobs will have it more than paid in full by the end of the week!

And don't forget to pick up a 3" backing plate and some nice 3" pads to go with it so you can turn your PC into a full time 3" polisher to accompany your new larger upgrade.

You're working too hard not only with that machine, but with those tiny pads. [5" pads]

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm leaning more towards the 12 or 15 just because I've read they are a bit more versatile. Is it ok to use my current pads with the rupes? I have about 3 of each of the colors and don't want to invest in a whole new set of pads as well.

Whats your take on 12 vs 15? Is the 12 a little too similar to what I already have? Any appreciable difference in comfort or cutting power/speed between the two?

Post Thanks / Like

dlc95 should be able to provide proper info on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have LC flats and ccs but I mostly use the flat pads.
    Try the pink ccs, or green buff and shine for more comfort, and cut. Try the green ccs, or blue Buff and Shine for polishing. Greatly reduces vibration, and increases performance opposed to the stiffer orange and white pads. The only time I like stiff pads is with the Lake Country Hydrotech, or the Rupes pads on the Duetto/Mini.

I did a HVAC duct cleaning truck last week. I had some orange CCS pads in my tote that I thought I'd use. Half way through the first side of the vehicle, I was tired of the heavy downward pressure, and vibration. So I switched to my green Buff and Shine pads, and it was so much more comfortable. The pad cuts so fast that I wasn't able to finish three sections passes before the pad loaded up. This with a 1st Gen 7424.

As far as noise, consider the Flex XFE15. In the testing I've seen it runs the quietest. It is made by the company selling it - Flex power tools (like Rupes and Porter Cable), and it doesn't have a recommended proprietary system, like Rupes, and Griots has. You can use any pad/polish combo you desire.

Personally, I don't think you "need" an "upgrade" in your situation, but want is a whole different story.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm leaning more towards the 12 or 15 just because I've read they are a bit more versatile. Is it ok to use my current pads with the rupes? I have about 3 of each of the colors and don't want to invest in a whole new set of pads as well.

Whats your take on 12 vs 15? Is the 12 a little too similar to what I already have? Any appreciable difference in comfort or cutting power/speed between the two?
    I have both as I posted earlier in your thread. If you're getting one machine get the 15" The Duetto falls between the PC and the 15 as far as correcting power.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Try the pink ccs, or green buff and shine for more comfort, and cut. Try the green ccs, or blue Buff and Shine for polishing. Greatly reduces vibration, and increases performance opposed to the stiffer orange and white pads. The only time I like stiff pads is with the Lake Country Hydrotech, or the Rupes pads on the Duetto/Mini.

I did a HVAC duct cleaning truck last week. I had some orange CCS pads in my tote that I thought I'd use. Half way through the first side of the vehicle, I was tired of the heavy downward pressure, and vibration. So I switched to my green Buff and Shine pads, and it was so much more comfortable. The pad cuts so fast that I wasn't able to finish three sections passes before the pad loaded up. This with a 1st Gen 7424.

As far as noise, consider the Flex XFE15. In the testing I've seen it runs the quietest. It is made by the company selling it - Flex power tools (like Rupes and Porter Cable), and it doesn't have a recommended proprietary system, like Rupes, and Griots has. You can use any pad/polish combo you desire.

Personally, I don't think you "need" an "upgrade" in your situation, but want is a whole different story.
    Funny you say this. Doing a car on monday with an orange ccs pad is what prompted me to look into a new polisher. I had no idea that pads made such a difference. I almost exclusively do 1 steps when someone asks me to do their car. What kind of pad would you recommend for that? Right now I'm using orange ccs for harder paints (flat orange has been out of stock locally for a while now) and flat white for softer paints.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast