autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Used a compound and orbital polisher and damaged aluminum (or alloy?) rims

I used Chemical brother v32 compound with TORQ TORQX Random Orbital Polisher and a cutting pad to try and remove brake dust caked on my rims 2011 Infiniti EX 35 OEM aluminum (I believe).

As most of you could guess, this did not go well. As I polished it seemed to cut a series of black circles surrounded by bigger aluminum color circles (see picture). I would describe this as looking as though I tried to polish wood, it seems to take off circles of layers that alternate between black and aluminum and never ends. I polished through the black only to see a black outer circle (see picture).

Might there be a solution to my ill advised rim cleaning method?

Used a compound and orbital polisher and damaged aluminum (or alloy?) rims-overly-polished-jpg

badrims

Mike Phillips

Re: Used a compound and orbital polisher and damaged aluminum (or alloy?) rims

Quote Originally Posted by BadRims View Post

I used Chemical brother v32 compound with TORQ TORQX Random Orbital Polisher and a cutting pad to try and remove brake dust caked on my rims 2011 Infiniti EX 35 OEM aluminum (I believe).

As most of you could guess, this did not go well. As I polished it seemed to cut a series of black circles surrounded by bigger aluminum color circles (see picture). I would describe this as looking as though I tried to polish wood, it seems to take off circles of layers that alternate between black and aluminum and never ends. I polished through the black only to see a black outer circle (see picture).

Might there be a solution to my ill advised rim cleaning method?

badrims

Here's your picture,

Wow!

Never seen that before.

I'd stop after this rim.

Sorry to hear of the mishap...

Mike Phillips

Since this was your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

In the future, perhaps consider a dedicated wheel cleaner that remove brake dust chemically. SONAX is a brand you can trust to be safe on any surface.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

I trust it on the clearcoated rims on our Mercedes-Benz

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it is time for a refinish. The good news is that refinishing your wheel(s) isn't ridiculously expensive. You should be able to find local options for ~$100/wheel. Many services are even mobile and can do a great job. Good luck - it is all part of learning and sometimes we learn the hard way.

PS - when polishing aluminum, if you see black it can mean you are down to raw aluminum rather than polishing the clear. Most wheels like this are clearcoated so I am surprised this happened so quickly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Since this was your first post,
    In the future, perhaps consider a dedicated wheel cleaner that remove brake dust chemically. SONAX is a brand you can trust to be safe on any surface.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Thank you for the tip. Much appreciated.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Typerx View Post
    Looks like it is time for a refinish. The good news is that refinishing your wheel(s) isn't ridiculously expensive. You should be able to find local options for ~$100/wheel. Many services are even mobile and can do a great job. Good luck - it is all part of learning and sometimes we learn the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice! I had no idea. Looking into it right now. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would clean them. Paint prep and clear coat it myself honestly.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app