autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Humidity and the Effect on Polish Removal

This topic can probably spread to products beyond polishes, but my question is polish specific.

I've been using the Blackfire SRC duo for several years now. Every time I've used them, both the compound and the polish wipe away very easily...until this past weekend. I found the compound fairly hard to remove and even the polish took a little effort. In the past, both would take very little effort to remove. I didn't have any streaking or smearing issues and everything came off cleanly. They simply behaved more like a sealant that had been left on a bit too long

My technique, pads, and amount of product on the pads hasn't changed. The only difference this time was while I was happily polishing my car in the garage, our area was seeing rain that would not be out of place in the Amazon rain forest. Humidity was very high, but temps in my garage were in the low 70's.

Was the humidity the cause of this change in behavior, or at 3~3.5 years, is the product getting old. I hope it isn't age as I still have quite a bit of product left and would hate to toss it out.

Thanks!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Humidity and the Effect on Polish Removal

Hello from a fellow St. Louisan...

I haven't spent an extensive amount of time with SRC Compound, but I have used it a handful of times both in a climate controlled shop environment and in a non-conditioned garage space. Heat and/or high humidity do seem to make compounds and polishes more difficult to remove in many cases.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Humidity and the Effect on Polish Removal

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Hello from a fellow St. Louisan...

I haven't spent an extensive amount of time with SRC Compound, but I have used it a handful of times both in a climate controlled shop environment and in a non-conditioned garage space. Heat and/or high humidity do seem to make compounds and polishes more difficult to remove in many cases.
    Thanks, Zach! I hope you are high and dry and not near any of the rivers that are flooding right now.

I was hoping it was the weather. I don't think I've ever worked these products in conditions that were that cool and seriously humid. Cool, yes...but usually dry and sunny.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog