autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Acura and Honda with Soft Paint

I have a 2017 Honda Pilot and 2014 Acura MDX. Both are known to have soft paint. I am going to wash, clay, compound, polish, seal and wax this weekend.

in the past I used Menzerna SI 1500(now medium cut polish 2400) on orange pad and SF 4000(now super finish 3500) on white pad. After reading a lot on the forum I am not sure this is the best combination.

For soft paint, do you have a better recommendation of Menzerna products for me?

Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acura and Honda with Soft Paint

Ease up on the pressure on final passes with the 3500 and don't use too much product. That's how I approach our Honda Pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Menzerna FG400 I think it is named the same for compounding and SF4500 (I believe that is 3800) for polishing. When compounding it is easier to correct hen harder paints. Instead of the normal passes you make on a regular hard paint car go with slightly less passes.

Honda/Acura or any Japanese car paint is soft.

But you might consider FG400 for your compounding. The Polish you have is fine.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I use Menzerna FG400 I think it is named the same for compounding and SF4500 (I believe that is 3800) for polishing. When compounding it is easier to correct hen harder paints. Instead of the normal passes you make on a regular hard paint car go with slightly less passes.

I am confused now. Should I be using the FG400 for the compound on orange pad and Menzerna SI 1500(now medium cut polish 2400) on a white pad? Or a different combination?

Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The combo I use and I think you should too if its Japanese paints....FG400 for compounding (Orange Lake Country Pads or equivalent) SF4000 or SF4500 (I believe 3500 and 3800) with a White Lake Country Pad or equivalent.

These 2 are a great combo. I know there are other combos like this, however, I have had the best results with the Menzerna Brand.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Is hard/soft a function of maker or country of origin? I have a friend who works for PPG and he said US laws in some states (especially California) are brutal with respect to automotive paints which must be water-based now.

Most Japanese car makers manufacture and paint their popular models (Civic, Accord, Camry, Corrolla, etc.) in North America. I have been to the Toyota factory in Aichi, Japan twice and watched the paint shop apply color and clear coat. It is an amazing process but the tour guide said North American painted cars use different paint and that the Japanese models have superior paint because local air quality laws are not as strict.

Post Thanks / Like

I found an old post written by Mike on Meguiar's Forum from 2008 explaining hard and soft paint. It seems like there is no clear distinction between car brands and every paint (actually clear coat, I suppose) needs to be evaluated individually. What is the meaning of soft paint?