autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle XMT Heavy and Intermediate Swirl remover question

In an order a while back I got a bottle each of Pinnacle XMT #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover (polishing compound) and #3 Intermediate Swirl Remover.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on what to expect with these as far as aggressiveness or what they're like to work with? I don't see them listed in the store anymore. Trying to get a feel for where they'd fit in my current line up. So far I have all Griot's - Complete Compound, BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams. I'm considering my old Machine Polish 2 and 3 retired at this point.

I know the easy answer is just go try them; unfortunately it's hard enough to find time to work in a basic polishing session let alone try out a couple new bottles just for fun. I also have a limited number of pads, so I'd lose time having to clean them out and let them dry to start over.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle XMT Heavy and Intermediate Swirl remover question

I would say that the #4 is pretty aggressive. I used it on heavily oxidized paint. It did what I was hoping, but I wouldn't get it any where near decent paint! I followed up with the #3, hoping that would start to bring back some shine, but in my application, even that was pretty aggressive. I even had some #1 that left micromarring. I ended up finishing with XMT360 to get it where I finally was happy.

This was all used with a PC7424XP with 5.5" LC CCS pads. I bounced back and forth between orange and white to kind of experiment with everything.

One thing I liked about that product line, is everything smelled good...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping to get.

Think either of these would be a good fit for cleaning up headlights that are due for some love?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

In an order a while back I got a bottle each of Pinnacle XMT #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover (polishing compound) and #3 Intermediate Swirl Remover.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on what to expect with these as far as aggressiveness or what they're like to work with? I don't see them listed in the store anymore. Trying to get a feel for where they'd fit in my current line up. So far I have all Griot's - Complete Compound, BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams. I'm considering my old Machine Polish 2 and 3 retired at this point.

I know the easy answer is just go try them; unfortunately it's hard enough to find time to work in a basic polishing session let alone try out a couple new bottles just for fun. I also have a limited number of pads, so I'd lose time having to clean them out and let them dry to start over.

Thanks!

I've used both for a couple of extreme makeovers...

The way I've explained the #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover is it's they type of product to have on hand when you have a paint job in bad shape that's really ready for a new paint job. It's fairly aggressive. You can feel the abrasives between your fingers unlike a lot of modern compounds.

I would also say that it uses older abrasive technology and won't finish out like many of the modern compounds on the market. For those of you that read a lot of my posts, you know I talk a lot about abrasive technology. There's great abrasive technology and then there's everything else. The XMT line falls into the category of everything else.

Here's the only project I can remember actually using the XMT line on and this car was going to not only get a new paint job but it actually received a total restoration from Wayne Carini.

1966 Mustang - Last Chance to Dance Extreme Makeover!

The above write-up actually shares lots of tips and techniques and how-to information not even related to the project. Check it out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Think either of these would be a good fit for cleaning up headlights that are due for some love?

Yes.

Bot of these products would be good for buffing on headlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir!

I had a feeling it was older tech abrasives, hence how I got them as freebies with an order. Still totally cool getting them; since they just showed up in the box, you get that opening-presents-at-Christmas style surprise. Glad to hear I can still get some use out of them with ratty old headlights since I'm not planning on going that aggressive on any of my painted surfaces.