autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of gun needed for foam gun?

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Thanks, that explains it clearly. I can handle the garden hose unit.

I do have one question---the foam gun that is attached to the garden hose, that are half the price--if you have any experience with them, are these cheaper units less durable, or do they break rather quickly? In the event that I get one, I'd hate to blow 70 bucks on a unit that will only last a year or so....
    the foam gun is very durable and i have had mine for over 8+ years with no problems. from the beginning i've always filled the canister/bottle on both the foam gun and cannon and run clean water through them when i'm finished though it's not necessary. there are several different foam guns but the tried and true is like the one above with the brass sliding pin, where some have a plastic dial which i don't care for. while not for everyone, i really like my foam gun and don't regret having it. i have the butcher's foam gun below which is made by gilmour and is exactly like the one above...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the foam gun pictured in post #6 of this thread. It is a purchase I've never regretted.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm i just washed the van again, and looked out the windshield from the inside this time. I think what I thought were scratches, was just some gunk on the inside of the windshield---much easier to remove! But if I do want to stop using a sponge or mitt, I'll go with the foam gun.

Some interesting comments here, as always.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold class does fine in a foam gun. I use it regularly. Just add a little more and set the gun wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    You are using a sponge or microfiber mit with waterless and detail spray? Ouch.

First off, waterless wash should only be used if the car is almost clean. If it is very dirty, no matter what you do, you will damage the paint. Second, you should be using a microfiber tower with that product. There is not enough product to saturate the mit or sponge, and you will have very limited lubricity with either. Using a wet microfiber towel with very light pressure and lifting the dirt as you swipe the panel is the safest way to use these products.

Finally the lower part of the panel should always be done last since it is the dirtiest part of the panel most of the time.

I have never liked Waterless and do no use it. If you can't use free flowing water, I strongly suggest you switch to rinseless and use the Garry Dean method of having 6-10 microfiber towels in your solution bucket, spraying the panel with a spray bottle or garden sprayer with solution then discard each towel as it becomes dirty and never re-introduce it in your cleaning solution. There is no safer way of cleaning if you can't use free flowing water. Otherwise, a pressure washer is the best tool you can use. Removing all the heavy dirt before touching the panel will make it very difficult to scratch the panel while washing. Especially if you did a foam coat as well.
    I received an email that there had been updates to this thread. I read your reply and thought that guy is inferring thoughts into my post that I didn't write. I was just about to post back when I reread my post to reference from.
    Guess what, I did post that I use sponges and mitts with waterless/ detail spray. Well, I don't do that. Like you, I rarely ever use either of those systems (too high of a scratch risk).
    Anyhow, I do use a sponge (typically the Optimum blue one to do rinseless). My experience is that it is safer than a microfiber mitt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12