autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of gun needed for foam gun?

I have recently started washing with my sponge and soap, all the windows in my cars, and this last weekend I started noticing light, straight scratches on one of the windshields. If my suspicions are correct--that it is caused by my sponge scraping dirt across them---I'm getting kind of frustrated. I have a grit guard, and scrape the chantel sponge six times (three on each side) before taking the sponge up out of the soap water.

Anyways, now I'm thinking I need to be using a foam gun/cannon whatever. First off--do I have to get a dedicated product, or can I just use the type of thing I have, to kill weeds, that I hook my garden hose up to? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd like to save a few bucks if I can. I would be using it with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo, if that matters.

I did see Mike Philipps' article https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html that I'll read later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of gun needed for foam gun?

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    or can I just use the type of thing I have, to kill weeds, that I hook my garden hose up to?
    no, it's not the same. not all soaps are created equal in the foam gun and IMO megs gold class works best in the bucket wash...

if you are only going to use the foam gun as a pre-soak only (which many do), then get a pressure washer instead (a small electric can be bought for around $100). it's a waste to only use it for that purpose. buy a few of the megs microfiber wash mitts, they are inexpensive and lasts a good while...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    I have recently started washing with my sponge and soap, all the windows in my cars, and this last weekend I started noticing light, straight scratches on one of the windshields. If my suspicions are correct--that it is caused by my sponge scraping dirt across them---I'm getting kind of frustrated. I have a grit guard, and scrape the chantel sponge six times (three on each side) before taking the sponge up out of the soap water.

Anyways, now I'm thinking I need to be using a foam gun/cannon whatever. First off--do I have to get a dedicated product, or can I just use the type of thing I have, to kill weeds, that I hook my garden hose up to? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd like to save a few bucks if I can. I would be using it with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo, if that matters.

I did see Mike Philipps' article https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html that I'll read later on.
    Sponges are not a good idea to wash a car. Get yourself 2 microfiber wash mits. One for the paint and glass and one for the wheels. Never use the one for wheels to touch the paint and glass, brake dust can get suck in the fibers and scratch the car.

As for the foam gun, the best thing you could do would be to buy a pressure washer. It's the safest way to remove the heavy dirt from the car. Once you have that, many come with a foam cannon. If not you can purchase one for it. The type of soap you use in the foam cannon makes little difference. Some are a little bit better than others but overall the idea of doing a foam bath is what matters more. If you want to use Gold Class in the foam cannon, it will work well. If you prefer to use a dedicated product, I would suggest something like Chemical Guys Honeydew which is designed for foam cannons.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Megs Gold Class in my foam gun......and it worked okay, but not great. I've had better luck with Griots Brilliant Shine.....available here and locally at Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys...catch it on sale and it's about the same price as the Meguiars Gold Class

Post Thanks / Like

The Autogeek store had some for 120, which is a nogo for me. But after a search, I found this:

Autogeek Quart Foamaster Foam Gun FREE BONUS

Would this be enough, or is there something better that the other, more expensive units have, like this one (Pinnacle Pressure Washer Foam Cannon HP, foam lance, foam gun, pressure washer foam gun)

Post Thanks / Like

this is a foam gun where you attach it to your garden hose...

and this is a foam cannon/lance that is used with a pressure washer...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Sponges are not a good idea to wash a car. Get yourself 2 microfiber wash mits. One for the paint and glass and one for the wheels. Never use the one for wheels to touch the paint and glass, brake dust can get suck in the fibers and scratch the car.

As for the foam gun, the best thing you could do would be to buy a pressure washer. It's the safest way to remove the heavy dirt from the car. Once you have that, many come with a foam cannon. If not you can purchase one for it. The type of soap you use in the foam cannon makes little difference. Some are a little bit better than others but overall the idea of doing a foam bath is what matters more. If you want to use Gold Class in the foam cannon, it will work well. If you prefer to use a dedicated product, I would suggest something like Chemical Guys Honeydew which is designed for foam cannons.

That's not been my experience. I've caused more marring with microfiber than foam. Not that either is the main cause of wash marring from my experience. Low moister content when moving the sponge or microfiber over the paint (waterless/detail sprays) and picking items up from the lowest parts of the body parts both far exceed the damage caused by either 'tool' itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure, it's pretty difficult to scratch glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

That's not been my experience. I've caused more marring with microfiber than foam. Not that either is the main cause of wash marring from my experience. Low moister content when moving the sponge or microfiber over the paint (waterless/detail sprays) and picking items up from the lowest parts of the body parts both far exceed the damage caused by either 'tool' itself.
    You are using a sponge or microfiber mit with waterless and detail spray? Ouch.

First off, waterless wash should only be used if the car is almost clean. If it is very dirty, no matter what you do, you will damage the paint. Second, you should be using a microfiber tower with that product. There is not enough product to saturate the mit or sponge, and you will have very limited lubricity with either. Using a wet microfiber towel with very light pressure and lifting the dirt as you swipe the panel is the safest way to use these products.

Finally the lower part of the panel should always be done last since it is the dirtiest part of the panel most of the time.

I have never liked Waterless and do no use it. If you can't use free flowing water, I strongly suggest you switch to rinseless and use the Garry Dean method of having 6-10 microfiber towels in your solution bucket, spraying the panel with a spray bottle or garden sprayer with solution then discard each towel as it becomes dirty and never re-introduce it in your cleaning solution. There is no safer way of cleaning if you can't use free flowing water. Otherwise, a pressure washer is the best tool you can use. Removing all the heavy dirt before touching the panel will make it very difficult to scratch the panel while washing. Especially if you did a foam coat as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that explains it clearly. I can handle the garden hose unit.

I do have one question---the foam gun that is attached to the garden hose, that are half the price--if you have any experience with them, are these cheaper units less durable, or do they break rather quickly? In the event that I get one, I'd hate to blow 70 bucks on a unit that will only last a year or so....

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    this is a foam gun where you attach it to your garden hose...

and this is a foam cannon/lance that is used with a pressure washer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast