autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Terry cloth , microfiber and foam pads by hand difference ?? For aio, interior dressing , leather care

So what's the difference and what should is use to apply the following by hand

Polish

Wax

Rim dressing

Interior dressing

Leather cleaner

Leather protectant(colinite)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry cloth , microfiber and foam pads by hand difference ?? For aio, interior dressing , leather care

Waxing by hand is fine with this Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal is an ergonomically shaped urethane handle that holds specially designed foam pads using hooks & loops. or this Griots Garage 4” Hand Waxing and Correcting Pad Kit and cleaner waxes are fine however any correction to remove swirls you are going to wish for one of these Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE BONUS!. I can't even imagine trying to go beyond waxes and sealants without some type of quality machine if your budget will allow. I started by hand and found the results to be like spitting into the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terry cloth , microfiber and foam pads by hand difference ?? For aio, interior dressing , leather care

I just used a 3" lake county black finishing pad to apply trim restorer by hand. it came out great, much better then using a foam applicator pad. it might be ruined though that plastic trim restorer is hard to get out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Waxing by hand is fine with this Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal is an ergonomically shaped urethane handle that holds specially designed foam pads using hooks & loops. or this Griots Garage 4” Hand Waxing and Correcting Pad Kit and cleaner waxes are fine however any correction to remove swirls you are going to wish for one of these Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE BONUS!. I can't even imagine trying to go beyond waxes and sealants without some type of quality machine if your budget will allow. I started by hand and found the results to be like spitting into the wind.
    i find it easier to just hold the da pads by hand. i removed a scratch that way and i usually do it to get the tight spots when waxing. i just take the pad off the machine and start using it. it works good you dont need all that stuff. but then again ive never tried to do a whole car by hand that would be way to much. i agree just buy a polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a gg6 and a hand jobber . New cars I do by hand amd I have all these extra pads that's why I'm asking what they are best to be used for
    Also for the following what type of pad is best to use , micro , Terry or foam....
    Polish

Wax

Rim dressing

Interior dressing

Leather cleaner

Leather protectant

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to put wax on by hand, I would definitely get the polish pal - it will save your hand muscles.

By rim dressing do you mean the wheels or tires? Tires: I would use a foam tire applicator (there's a few of them). Wheels: Just clean them and spray with CarPro HydroFoam or Gyeon WetCoat. I don't think anything beats this system for wheels.

Interior: They all work. It's just personal preference combined with what the situation calls for. I tend to use micros for cleaning plastics and sensitive areas, foam for applying protectants, terrys for leather and carpets. But, that doesn't mean that I won't mix and match. I do. AIO's: I'll use any of the three depending on situation or what I have with me/clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been doing this long, but it seems the GG pads whether for machine or by hand just absorb way to much product when applying liquid wax or sealants. The cheap pads that come in the box spread product much further, what am I missing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Note: It's really easy to micro-mar soft paint by hand with microfiber applicators. They're often made of cheap microfiber. It is crucial to make sure you've got even pressure across the face of the pad (i.e. watch the fingertips!).

Along that same line... I find claying absolutely necessary before hand applying anything. If you don't clay-- Little contamination bits can become dislodged and embedded in applicator pads. Combined with concentrated pressure of the fingers (or worse, finger tips), these bits can easily cause marring.

For these reasons, I stick with foam (unless I'm intentionally working on RIDS). Even then, I'd try foam first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Note: It's really easy to micro-mar soft paint by hand with microfiber applicators. They're often made of cheap microfiber. It is crucial to make sure you've got even pressure across the face of the pad (i.e. watch the fingertips!).

Along that same line... I find claying absolutely necessary before hand applying anything. If you don't clay-- Little contamination bits can become dislodged and embedded in applicator pads. Combined with concentrated pressure of the fingers (or worse, finger tips), these bits can easily cause marring.

For these reasons, I stick with foam (unless I'm intentionally working on RIDS). Even then, I'd try foam first.
    For a AIO on nice pretty new car a couple years old ,is a ironx type product enough or should I clay also??
    Removal of polish and wax is done with microfiber towel??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    For a AIO on nice pretty new car a couple years old ,is a ironx type product enough or should I clay also??
    Removal of polish and wax is done with microfiber towel??
    Is IronX enough? I'd say no. in my opinion claying is more important than ironX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast