autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet stains after cleaning

Today I shampooed the mats in my daily driver, the first time in 2 years. I vacuum them all the time and keep them as clean as possibly. It is a ram with rugs not plastic mats and I'm in the northeast so salt is an issue. It was also the first time I tried the tornador and I was very impressed in how well it works.

The method i used was good vaccuum, followed by stiff brush and vacuum again, then sprayed CG rug shampoo on the mats and worked in with a good brush. After that I used plain water in the tornador to push out the dirt and shampoo, after doing the whole mat I went back over it using only air to blow more junk out. I placed them in the sun to dry and then noticed they appeared to dry with a white or gray stain to them. So my question is, is it possible that was road salt reactivating or was it residue from the shampoo.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpet stains after cleaning

What color are they? Pictures, especially before/afters would really be great here..

Post Thanks / Like

Need pics, but one of your guesses is likely right and I'm thinking shampoo residue. Haven't used CG's, but any carpet shampoo really should be extracted/vac'd out or at a minimum, flushed if they are mats
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Need pics, but one of your guesses is likely right and I'm thinking shampoo residue. Haven't used CG's, but any carpet shampoo really should be extracted/vac'd out or at a minimum, flushed if they are mats
    That was my 1st thought. Especially being so easy to do, with matts being so small. It's a piece of cake + super fast to knock out the old fashioned way. Elbow grease.

Don't need no fancy equipment for dirty matts...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to try bonnet cleaning or extraction which completely removes the black marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sstcuda View Post
    Today I shampooed the mats in my daily driver, the first time in 2 years. I vacuum them all the time and keep them as clean as possibly. It is a ram with rugs not plastic mats and I'm in the northeast so salt is an issue. It was also the first time I tried the tornador and I was very impressed in how well it works.

The method i used was good vaccuum, followed by stiff brush and vacuum again, then sprayed CG rug shampoo on the mats and worked in with a good brush. After that I used plain water in the tornador to push out the dirt and shampoo, after doing the whole mat I went back over it using only air to blow more junk out. I placed them in the sun to dry and then noticed they appeared to dry with a white or gray stain to them. So my question is, is it possible that was road salt reactivating or was it residue from the shampoo.

Thanks in advance.
    Here's a tip when fully dry put some lacquer thinner on a rag and problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That was my 1st thought. Especially being so easy to do, with matts being so small. It's a piece of cake + super fast to knock out the old fashioned way. Elbow grease.

Don't need no fancy equipment for dirty matts...

The after shot shows a lot of dirt still in fibers. So it wicks when drying. Either dry clean it with lacquer thinner or blast that dirt out with a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a can of foam spray let it dwell for 30minutes then scrub it and pw wash it. No access to pw use a hose and scrub and rinse at the same time. Then take a spackle knife which is 5 dollars.and squeeze and force the water out. Start at. The top of. Mat. And. Push with force. To get the water out. The worst mats. Ever to clean are Lexus mats. Especially the ES model.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by compassphoenix View Post
    My suggestion is to try bonnet cleaning or extraction which completely removes the black marks.
    Even with a extractor. Major. Improvements but still not perfect. Good. Ole. Scrubbing will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    The after shot shows a lot of dirt still in fibers. So it wicks when drying. Either dry clean it with lacquer thinner or blast that dirt out with a pressure washer.
    I wouldn't necessarily call that wicking since I took the pic immediately after I was done. It's the drivers side matt in my daily driver, so I don't strive for perfection when I clean it because it's going to get dirty again