autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barn Find

Post Thanks / Like

Barn Find

I got lucky and was able to purchase a 1992 Corvette coupe LT1 in good condition. It belonged to a lady that had passed and the elderly husband decided to sell. It is a survivor and totally stock and original. I can restore the mechanicals but have questions on this original metallic red paint. I believe it is a base coat clear coat. The front and rear bumpers have the typical fading. Is there anything short of a repaint that can improve the appearance of the bumpers? I have no experience polishing what appears to be a type of urethane? Also polishing and waxing the compound fiberglass panels would be the same steps as metal panels? The paint condition isn't to bad with minor crazing and miniscule white specs I have no idea what they are. I was thinking of doing a test spot by washing, clay, polish lightly with Megs Ultimate polish or use Megs #7 glaze instead, and top with Megs Ultimate liquid wax. Sound good? Maybe I'm over thinking this but I have zero zilch experience with painted fiberglass panels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barn Find

Any advice on 25 year old original paint on this vette ( base/clear ) to safely polish? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Many others could probably ask a zillion questions.

Some pictures might help if possible. The better you can take them to show different areas, and what you have might go a long way to helping you.

Was this indeed a barn find, where the car sat somewhat protected from the elements, or was it stored outdoors?

As Mike Phillips might say, and regardless of whether single stage paint or two-stage base-clearcoat, Meguiars #7 Glaze first before going any further to any polishes would no doubt be wisest, and probably help feed the paint with some good "nutrients" first before anything else is done.

Mike describes this process where the car would be first washed, then #7 applied and then let sit. I think I've heard him mention the application can be as long as 24 hours before removal for it to do its job.

Hope this helps some, so that you won't possibly do any unnecessary damage to the fragile paint with hasty processes and initially using incorrect products.

Yes, "Paint is Paint", regardless of what it's applied over. But often Paint that is applied over front-rear bumpers is a bit different, that flex agents are added to such paints I believe. And often, these areas can really look like A$$ in comparison to the other body panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MarkD51! I was thinking the same thing about doing an oops and damaging the paint. The car was driven spring summer fall and kept in a garage in winter. The lady that owned it only put 20,000 miles on the car while she owned it since 2003. I'll try and post a couple pictures. Would you clay before using Megs #7? it isn't really a true barn find, but the post title got your attention! Plus an unmodified 1992 totally stock with a non-abused history with 87k is a rare find. All the service history, original paperwork that came with the car new, and the window sticker was included in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barn Find-img_0509-jpg   Barn Find-img_0510-jpg   Barn Find-img_0511-jpg   Barn Find-img_0512-jpg   Barn Find-img_0513-jpg   Barn Find-img_0514-jpg   Barn Find-img_0515-jpg   Barn Find-img_0516-jpg   Barn Find-img_0517-jpg   Barn Find-img_0518-jpg  

Barn Find-img_0519-jpg   Barn Find-img_0520-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find!

It would have been cool if it had
    been equipped with the optional
    {for "only" an additional $31,683.00}
    "Special Performance Package"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Now that make me feel old. I had an 1989 Vette that I traded in for a new 1993 triple black convertible Vette. I guess I'm a classic now. Lol. Be careful polishing the bumpers as heat will cause the paint to "slide" off the plastic and/or cause the plastic to crack. A respray may be necessary. Getting the bumper paint to match the body is an art.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Does it look like clearcoat failure in picture #12? I don't know how where to start. Maybe start on the driver door mirror as a test spot? Wash, clay, then try Megs #7? Up close the paint looks the same as picture #12 on all the horizontal panels. What would be possible to help the bumpers look better, short of a re-paint? I'm afraid to try even a mild compound or polish. Suggestions? Thank you!!!9

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob! I always wanted a vette since high school. Don't feel old rimccarty2000. I'm 65 and the grand kids think grampy has lost it lol! I've always been practical when it comes to spending but I couldn't help myself. It's a dream come true! I'm in the minority I know but 1992 to 1996 C4's are my favorite. Now to figure out how to make it look it's best without damaging this fragile factory paint. What and how would you do first?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAMMIN HEMI View Post
    Thanks Bob! I always wanted a vette since high school. Don't feel old rimccarty2000. I'm 65 and the grand kids think grampy has lost it lol! I've always been practical when it comes to spending but I couldn't help myself. It's a dream come true! I'm in the minority I know but 1992 to 1996 C4's are my favorite. Now to figure out how to make it look it's best without damaging this fragile factory paint. What and how would you do first?
    Maybe take it to a professionial detailer around where you live to see what they can do. just because you have no experience polishing. If you do it yourself i guarantee you will easily spend over 200-300 on a polisher pads and products but, once you have them and the experience doing it, you have them always

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast