autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I use CarPro PERL on dress shoe leather?

Yes, kind of odd question but picked up some Johnston & Murphy dress shoes at Goodwill and have PERL on hand. Would it be ok to use?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I use CarPro PERL on dress shoe leather?

•J&M...a good choice in leather
    dress shoes. With that said:

•I wonder if J&M uses a (natural)
    vegetable-tanning process; or,
    a (synthetic) chrome-tanning
    process...for their shoe leathers?

-That would be the basis of my
    decision to use Perl, or not, on
    these leather dress shoes.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

The CarPro PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant is safe to use on Leather. PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant, vinyl and rubber dressing, interior protectant

PERL Coat provides excellent protection and lasts up to three months. High grade UV protection maintains the supple feel and original color of treated surfaces. Plus, PERL Coat revives dull, faded rubber, plastics, vinyl, acrylic, and leather. These surfaces are left with a non-greasy, non-sticky satin shine that is just as beautiful as it is beneficial.

PERL Coat is water-based and contains no solvents. It will not damage tires or dry out plastic. PERL Coat is even safe on leather. PERL Coat stops leather cracking and protects it from dirt and stains. Surfaces treated with PERL Coat will require less cleaning and they will retain their like-new look

Directions:

Recommend dilution ratio:
    External plastics - 1: 3 (1 quantity PERL : 3 quantity water).
    Engine – 1:1~3
    Tires - undiluted ~ 1:1
    Interior rubber / dashboard / leather / vinyl – 1:5
    1.Dilute PERL with water and pour into a spray bottle.
    2.Clean the surface well before applying PERL Coat. Shake the diluted mixture well before use. Spray on surface from 20cm distance and wipe off with a microfiber towel.
    3.PERL Coat can be applied to tires and rubber trim with sponge applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Optimum Leather protectant on leather shoes many times with excellent results. My daughter uses it on her purses and shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

As above, if the leather is coated then Perl works quite well, Optibond and Optimum Leather also give reasonable results. Perl lasted the longest

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I used the GTechniq L1 Leather Guard to to just what you're asking about to a pair of black leather shoes. It worked real well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson View Post
    As above, if the leather is coated then Perl works quite well, Optibond and Optimum Leather also give reasonable results. Perl lasted the longest
    Never thought of Opti Bond. Is it real shiny?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Never thought of Opti Bond. Is it real shiny?
    Yes

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Can I use CarPro PERL on dress shoe leather?

If they're true top grain leather, then I wouldn't use anything other than what JM recommends or maybe a mink oil based conditioner - thought it may darken the leather slightly. If they're black, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If they're corrected leather, this type of leather is lower grade top grain that has it's finish sanded and then a plasticized paint is sprayed on to mimic the look of full grain leather. You can usually tell it's corrected leather if it has a plasticy look. For this type of leather, just use a damp cloth to keep clean. Leather conditioners aren't going to help much since the real leather hide is coated by the paint finish.

Either way, when in doubt, check with the shoe manufacturer when possible.

From J&M's website on shoe care:

SHOE CARE TIPS

Leather shoes will afford more comfort and loger wear if they are cared for properly.
    Johnston & Murphy's craftsmen offer the following tips for keeping leather shoes looking and wearing their best:
    Always store leather shoes with moisture-absorbing cedar shoe trees, to prevent leather cracking and permanent creasing where the toe bends.

Always use a shoe horn when putting on shoes to prevent the back of the shoe from breaking down. Never force feet into the shoes.

Always keep shoes away from direct heat to prevent the leather from drying out. Leather should always dry naturally.

Give shoes a rest between wearings. Leather shoes should have one full day to dry out from natural foot perspiration and should not be worn on two consecutive days.

When polishing shoes, use only a high quality paste or cream that will help moisturize leather and keep it from drying out. Never use a liquid polish on leather shoes.

Never use any type of cleaner that contains an acid or a detergent. Both are damaging to fine leather, and will age the shoe.

If shoes become heavily soiled, use a mild application of Ivory soap on a damp cloth, wipe off, and allow to dry. Then apply Johnston & Murphy shoe cream. This treatment should restore the original lustre without any damaging effects to the leather.