autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint - signs of hard or soft paint?

Hey guys. As I am getting into the polishing aspect of detailing, I am curious on what's signifies that a paint is hard or soft. What do you see, how do you notice etc?

Thanks,

Brett

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint - signs of hard or soft paint?

Most times I get a feel for the paint when claying or nanoskinning. Basically, does it marr easily? Before machine work, my indications on unknown hardness qualities is to very carefully take notice of the test section before attempting anything. I then kick in with a least aggressive approach and see how much correction, if any, has occurred. Then, if needed, I gradually notch up the aggression with either pad, product or even machine change. Once i get the test section to just get enough cut down THAT'S the paint response and hardness!

Basically my eye tells me. The trick is to take a very thorough look at the paint BEFORE you start anything fairly aggressive or abrasive. How are the scratches, swirls etc. lined up? Then after what you did..did they change, dimish or not budge.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya on if easily marked.

So.basically have your two by two section start least aggressive since new ....see results..if not what looking for step it up and so.forth. once you find what works in the 2 x 2 that's be what to use in rest of vehicle and work your way thru steps back.to.least abrasive. Am I following here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiCaLLioNStaLLyN View Post
    I hear ya on if easily marked.

So.basically have your two by two section start least aggressive since new ....see results..if not what looking for step it up and so.forth. once you find what works in the 2 x 2 that's be what to use in rest of vehicle and work your way thru steps back.to.least abrasive. Am I following here?

Once I think I have a correction process dialed in I always do another test spot with that combination of product, pads, and technique to make sure it will work as planned over the rest of the vehicle. This is important because if you are doing sort of trial and error over and over again in one spot you've actually completed several rounds of compounding and polishing so the results might be better than expected compared to just one stage of compounding and one stage of polishing. This of course all goes out the window if there has been body work, previous repair attempts, or areas with excessive damage... in which case my technique and products used might vary from panel to panel.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter