autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topper over McKee's 37 Paint Coating

This is good info! Learned something tonight! Grin..
    BTW---That is beautiful work on both of your cars. If photos can pick that up, I can't
    even imagine what it is like in person!

I want that!!!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    This is good info! Learned something tonight! Grin..
    BTW---That is beautiful work on both of your cars. If photos can pick that up, I can't
    even imagine what it is like in person!

I want that!!!

Tom
    Thanks, and that's just with a Samsung S6.

My GC hasn't been polished in over two years, just maintianed with the PA duo, that stuff is insane, just ask Ron with the white Vette!

I've been wanting to try out the Polish Angel Combo for White on my Rogue but my back pain is chronic these days. I did that test on my daughters hood last weekend of the 3d AAT polishes and my sciatic was doubled up on me in 30-40 minutes, it sucks. I'm saving my money for a lift like Sizzle Chest / Scott has
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I would advise against topping a coating with anything that isn't a coating like product. You'll ruin/cover the hydrophobic and dust resistance properties. I use McKee's for my coatings and top only with what I call "blue juice" It's a mix of:

CarPro ECH20 at a ratio of 1:20,
    CarPro Reload, add in 2-3 ounces

Viola. Use this regularly and you'll be more than pleased.

Here's a small video I made for another member showing the results of both 5 months+ after coating my wife's van.

https://youtu.be/PkYouNqzm9A
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the price and ease of mckees paint coat but as eldorado2k pointed out it gets full of contamination after just a few months. While in the video below it beads great and is really glossy with no toppers the baggie test is very bad. It's lasted 8 months in the dusty desert but it needs clay from what Nick says the clay will weaken/remove it so it's gonna be coming off here soon.

https://youtu.be/6BPg84HI9Oc

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post
    ... in reading a couple of these threads it appears that some people may be having some longevity problems with the M37, particularly on lower panels. I live in Wisconsin so that concerns me. If/when I coat maybe I'll spend a little more on Gteqniq CSL or Cquartz.
    Dunno about CSL or Cquartz (but I will by end of year) but I can tell you that WG Uber Ceramic didn't make it thru 15k miles & a NE Ohio winter on side/lower panels unscathed and from last August forward it got hit every 2 weeks with some kinda SiO2 product.

I think winter can kill many coatings in those troubled lower panel areas regardless of 'toppers'.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I've used all kinds and combinations of waxes and sealants and pseudo coatings over the past few years. I have C quartz and EVO duo but have not used them yet and most likley never will so they will go down as wasted purchases.

After reading your post and many like it before it, my biggest question is, if a coating is really a coating then why should it need any "topper" or "refresher". My premise being the alleged longevity of any said coating it should stand on it's own for the time quoted by the manufacturer.

But if you market products that last for "years" then you potentially market yourself out of business.

The other thing I like about your post is many of us just like to apply stuff to our vehicles whether we need to or not.

I just had to get this off my chest as it's kind of an "oxymoron" for an AG'er to coat the car so we don't touch it but we like to top it, wipe on it with detail sprays (silica sprays for coatings) of all different kinds etc.

So for me it's sealants, waxes, and Polish Angel

Thanks for indulging me and top away!!!
    What about paying high gloss, u shouldn't be topping waxes and sealants with it I don't think it's compatible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What about paying high gloss, u shouldn't be topping waxes and sealants with it I don't think it's compatible
    I meant polish angel high gloss

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running McKee's 37 Coating on two of my cars for 7 months now, and it still looks to be holding up well. I've not put any toppers on it other than the occasional spot of QD spray to get rid of water spotting after a wash. I really like the look and the performance and honestly don't see any need for a topper at this point. I have no doubt it will last a year for me.

Hearing testimony from people like custmsprty really has me thinking it might be time to step up and hit a couple cars with Gloss-Coat or Cquartz. The idea of only doing routine maintenance and washes for years is rather appealing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did start a thread earlier this Spring about what appeared to be the coating failure in the "spray zone" behind the wheels from road salt. However, after multiple bucket washes, the water behavior is greatly improving. Once I get a chance to lightly clay that area, I bet it should be back in line with the rest of the car. Advice from pros here and watching a couple video's has been really helpful.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've been running McKee's 37 Coating on two of my cars for 7 months now, and it still looks to be holding up well. I've not put any toppers on it other than the occasional spot of QD spray to get rid of water spotting after a wash. I really like the look and the performance and honestly don't see any need for a topper at this point. I have no doubt it will last a year for me.

Hearing testimony from people like custmsprty really has me thinking it might be time to step up and hit a couple cars with Gloss-Coat or Cquartz. The idea of only doing routine maintenance and washes for years is rather appealing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I did start a thread earlier this Spring about what appeared to be the coating failure in the "spray zone" behind the wheels from road salt. However, after multiple bucket washes, the water behavior is greatly improving. Once I get a chance to lightly clay that area, I bet it should be back in line with the rest of the car. Advice from pros here and watching a couple video's has been really helpful.
    So I was where you are at, and per Nick he said that claying is abrasive and removes the coating so it will need to be reapplied. This is why I'm just going to re do the whole car. I feel that for it's ease of use, the fact I can do countless cars for the price, speed of application, and shine it gives it has served its purpose

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why so many get caught up in this conundrum about topping or not topping. Detailing is one great big experimentation and finding what works for you and what you like. If every detailer went strictly by manufacturers recommendations we would have missed out on so many methods and combinations over the years. People branching out and trying things is what makes this hobby/business so great. Look right in this thread and you see where a quality detailer, pdqgp, has come up with his own concoction that has proven great results for him and I'll probably be trying out soon myself to see if I like it.

When I got into this a decade ago I constantly changed LSPs and loved doing it, however as life, my career, kids, them playing sports, coaching, etc started to take over a tremendous amount of my free time I began to look for longevity in my LSP. I used Opticoat back in 2010 for the first time on my vehicles and every car I've had since I've put a coating on as soon as I got it home. I have Cquartz topped with EXO on my Camaro and my wife's Yukon, and have CSL topped with EXO on my daughter's Hyundai Veloster. I will do a topper of DG Aquawax on the Camaro and Veloster, and Reload on the Yukon after every wash (that takes absolutely no time now). Heck I've even started doing a monthly regimen of McKee's Hydro Blue on each car after a wash just to try and increase the longevity of the coatings. If doing a 10 minute topper after each wash provides me with 25 months of longevity vs 24 months without it, then I consider that extra month of time gained with my family and life a win. I've been at this a while and I'm of the firm belief that the toppers increase the longevity of the LSP, regardless of traditional or coating, and in this point in my life that's what I'm after.

So if you want to do it, then by all means do it. If you don't think it adds any value then by all means don't do it, but the experimentation, trial and error is what has transformed this hobby/business for the better. Some of the tricks and combinations we use today were discovered and luckily made public on great detailing forums like this one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast