autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A Simple Cleaning

My mother in law bought a new Honda Civic around a year ago. It's kept outside and has never been cleaned. She came over for the holiday, so I told her I would clean it.
    Now, I don't have my polishers yet, and the most I've done so far is WW's and RW's. I don't have clay, so I was going to just go to the store and pick some up.
    This is going to be my first time actually doing what's supposed to be done before waxing. Which is going to be with a paste wax that was bought before I found AGO. I used it once, seemed ok. I have a small bottle of Megs Ultimate Quik Wax that I got here with a scratch removal kit, but don't think 6 oz. would do the whole car, or protect as long as paste, correct? Obviously, she could care less about the details, and is thrilled I said I'd wash it for her. On a positive note, It's never been through a tunnel wash. And I vaguely recall from another thread how good the Honda paint was coming of the lot.
    Anyway, since I want to do this right, and this isn't going to be the first time asking, especially when I get my machines, here is what I'm going to do.(I did ask other stuff, but not really cleaning stuff).
    I read the Clay tutorial, and from what it said, I shouldn't worry about lightly scratching or putting swirls with clay, correct? I know this is a fairly simple task, but I've never done it, and what's more, it's not my car. And no polisher to correct problems. So anyway, this is what I'm doing with the time and products I have:

Basic two bucket wash
    Clay
    Wax

Again, fairly simple I know, but with what I have to work with and time that's it. Maybe next time I'll worry about polishing, coating and other stuff.

Thanks and hope not to many eyes rolling with the seemingly simple task.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Simple Cleaning

Sounds like a great plan!

A few tips with the clay,
    - use your wash solution and mitt as clay lube, this will give you lots of lubrication
    -make sure you've kneaded the clay and have it nice and soft and formed to fit your hand/palm, this way you're not pressing down with your fingers and creating uneven pressure
    -that brings up pressure, no need to push into the surface just let it glide till you feel the contaminants release from the paint or don't hear a "sandpaper" sound
    -test in an inconspicuous spot to see if in fact you are marring the finish

Also do you have grit guards for the buckets?

Enjoy!
    -David

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's possible to induce some marring whenever you clay. Make sure car is clean,use more lube than you think and inspect clay. When the side you're working with gets nasty rework the clay to get a fresh side and don't drop it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Sounds like a great plan!

A few tips with the clay,
    - use your wash solution and mitt as clay lube, this will give you lots of lubrication
    -make sure you've kneaded the clay and have it nice and soft and formed to fit your hand/palm, this way you're not pressing down with your fingers and creating uneven pressure
    -that brings up pressure, no need to push into the surface just let it glide till you feel the contaminants release from the paint or don't hear a "sandpaper" sound
    -test in an inconspicuous spot to see if in fact you are marring the finish

Also do you have grit guards for the buckets?

Enjoy!
    -David
    Yes! I have grit guards.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Yes it's possible to induce some marring whenever you clay. Make sure car is clean,use more lube than you think and inspect clay. When the side you're working with gets nasty rework the clay to get a fresh side and don't drop it!

OK. I just got back from the stores. Neither auto parts store had clay by itself. One store had a Mother's kit on sale for about $15. But it was the last one and clay bar was missing. The other store had the Mother's kit for $21 and Meg's for $24.
    BUT----the second store had Griots Garage products, and I got a synthetic clay bar for $22, and Speed Shine for $8, with a mail in rebate so I get the Speed Shine free.

So, thoughts on the synthetic. I can go to Waly world tomorrow and possibly get clay bars by themselves.

And thanks.