autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help and info needed for detailing a 71 Nova

Hello, 2nd post here at Auto Geek. Im relatively new to the detailing world, but I am no stranger to working on and taking care of cars. Long story short I am only 20 years old. I was raised in the car world (more drag racing scene). Any way I have really started to dig into detailing as Im finishing up the build on my 03 mustang. ive used lots of info from Autogeek to get that car how i want it. Now, my father passed away almost 3 years ago. Ever since I have been maintaining and driving his 71 Nova (383 sbc) in his honor. The car is a blast to drive and its has been very therapeutic for me. Now that the background info is out of the way, the car was painted over 30 years ago. While the car was maintained and stored meticulously, it has the typical signs of age. No cracks, dents or anything though. From what I know the car was painted in lacquer, with a GM paint. I have no knowledge regarding lacquer. Im not sure if I need to attack it by hand or machine, what products to use, or if there is a certain step by step process I should use with this paint. So that leads me to asking for help. The paint looks pretty good in my opinion for its age. But I would like to maintain it to last as long as possible and look as good as it can while doing so. So I am asking for any knowledge or help regarding HOW to properly detail and maintain this car. I will list the tools and products I have to give an idea of what I may need to buy or what I need to use. I will also attach some pics to give you guys a reference of the condition of the car. Thanks in advance!

Products I have:
    Megs: da polisher, ulitimate; polish, compound, liquid wax
    Lake Country: 5.5in orange, green, blue buffing pads
    Chemical Guys: car wash, quick detail, water spot remover, glass cleaner, fabric cleaner, tire shine, clay bar and lubricator
    Mothers: clay bar kit and quck detailer
    Croftgate: aquanil waterless wash, tire shine, degreaser

Help and info needed for detailing a 71 Nova-image2-2-jpg
    Wouldnt let me upload the second pic I know its not a great pic as there is little sunlight to really see the paint. But it gives a reference for the shape in which the 30 year old paint is in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help and info needed for detailing a 71 Nova

Bump? any knowledge or help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey dc. Welcome to AGO! That's a mighty fine car to take care of. I'm not an expert on paint from that era so I'll let others chime in with advice. There are several guys here who know those muscle cars well. my only experience was riding around in them back in high school.

Its possible you you can meet up with another member who can give you some help. Where are you?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for welcoming me! I grew up riding in it, dreaming of driving it one day. Sadly just didnt have enough time with him to learn how to take care of it correctly. I am located in the York, Pa area (south central pa) near the Maryland border. The area is a haven for classic cars, speed shops, and enthusiasts so maybe someone from the area will see this post.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump? Anyone

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on here knows, dc.

Maybe re-post this in the "Ask Mike Phillips" section.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.